U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 PM

70 posts, read 65,270 times

Advertisements

What are you looking for in the city itself where you move? Do you like it to be a little busier or do you mind a quieter place? I sent you a PM also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 01:03 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
OP, I don't know what your budget is, but there are lots of over-55 condo communities in West/Northwest Bradenton, which is five miles from the gorgeous beaches of Anna Maria Island and is actually right off Perico and Sarasota Bays. Some may be older than you like. And usually condo communities are strict about what, or if, you can plant anything in the common area. Location is perfect, close to Sarasota and not too far from Tampa/St. Pete.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:01 AM

651 posts, read 333,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
OP, I don't know what your budget is, but there are lots of over-55 condo communities in West/Northwest Bradenton, which is five miles from the gorgeous beaches of Anna Maria Island and is actually right off Perico and Sarasota Bays. Some may be older than you like. And usually condo communities are strict about what, or if, you can plant anything in the common area. Location is perfect, close to Sarasota and not too far from Tampa/St. Pete.
Sent PM. SF home preferred at this point.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:25 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,007,646 times
We bought our first condo townhouse in 1987. The 111 units in the complex were all 2 bedroom. Although it was an all age community, only one unit had a kid living there. People with families want more bedrooms.

We could walk to the beach, most of the stores and bank were in town and for bigger things, StPetersburg was just across the causeway. That was Treasure Island in Pinellas county.

I will never own a private house again.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:33 PM

651 posts, read 333,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We bought our first condo townhouse in 1987. The 111 units in the complex were all 2 bedroom. Although it was an all age community, only one unit had a kid living there. People with families want more bedrooms.

We could walk to the beach, most of the stores and bank were in town and for bigger things, StPetersburg was just across the causeway. That was Treasure Island in Pinellas county.

How was it during the Hurricane(s)? Is it a High Rise?

Old 01-30-2018, 12:40 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,781,976 times
We JUST bought a house on the Peace River across from Punta Gorda, FL. We haven't even seen it! Crazy, I know....
BUT we've wanted to live in Punta Gorda forever, it's such a great small town with a great downtown area, waterfront bars and restaurants on the Charlotte Harbor, a city walk along the water, and tons of events year round. We're boaters, so a canal in the back yard with a short ride out was #1 on our wish list. We're 4 properties in from the river. We have to rent it out for the rest of this year, but after December 31, we will join the snowbirds travelling from Wisconsin to Florida yearly. Or we may sell our Wisconsin home the summer of 2019...time will tell.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

I live in the Venice area and am always fascinated at how much warmer the St Pete area is from the surrounding areas on the morning news weather maps. Im realizing there are many micro climates in our areas.

Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 929,655 times
We moved to Punta Gorda when I retired and we love it here. Its too far from the ocean to fit your criteria, but when you come from up North driving 30 minutes to a beach is nothing. No frost (so far!) since weve been here,and hopefully that trend continues.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 AM

70 posts, read 31,595 times
I'm approaching 59 and the wife is a year younger.
My parents live in Naples, as do a few siblings.
Being born and raised in Chicago, I can't wait to move somewhere warmer when I "retire" and we're pretty much set on Naples/Bonita area, we love the beach. Other places have beaches too, but year round warmth is what we like.
If we wind up hating it ( I doubt), we can always move again! They do send pension checks and ss payments anywhere I'm pretty sure, you don't have to have a FL address! ;-)

We visit often, and there are some great points about it and there are some bad points about it.

Obviously the weather from November to basically May absolutely sucks in Chicago. Yes we get the occasional nice day here and there, and even a nice week here and there. We can't wait to be rid of overcoats and boots and gloves and ice and snow, etc.
Now I know the weather in Naples can suck on the flip side from May to October, with the heat and humidity so its not utopia, we know that. Traffic is bad in winter in Naples, too crowded, too many seniors, of which I'll be one too I guess, lol. Bad drivers, the list goes on, oh and the bugs.

Ever see traffic in Chicago? Makes Naples seem like amateur hour, nowhere near as bad as here.
We have bugs here too especially mid summer to the first frost.

I've always liked Naples and FL in general, some spots better than others of course.

Housing can be expensive there, but if you look for something reasonable for a couple, you can definitely find something around 300k, maybe less as well. Would I love a 500-600k brand new home, sure! But I don't want to be house poor.

I will have to have a mortgage in retirement, so to keep that as low as possible is my goal, and still have a nice house with a pool and a few bedrooms on a pension and ss.

We look every time we go down there, and its funny our budget goes from 500k to 450 k, and now down to 350k or less, lol. I guess as the reality sinks in and I get closer to the day, I realize how important it is to really budget and keep expenses low, but still be able to enjoy the warm weather, traveling, or just chilling out by the pool with a cold one on a warm winter day or hot AF summer day before the inevitable afternoon thunderstorm.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 643,753 times
We are also looking at Florida for retirement. Planning a visit this summer to check out some areas. So far Venice and Port Charlotte look nice from our research. We are looking for an over 55 community. I kept going back to King`s Gate in Port Charlotte, seems to fit us, from what I see online. The new Sunseeker resort may be a concern though. Not sure if it will be good or bad for the area. Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement