U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,446,499 times
Reputation: 2524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Lake Las Vegas is gorgeous but it is so out of the way (IMHO) that many people don't know about it. If you read that thread, it might have also been mentioned that HOA fees are quite high. I don't know how much -- we didn't tour homes there. Trying to remember what month we were there...September? Yeah. Hot but not awful.

Versus Scottsdale? It's pretty much apples-and-oranges. The Scottsdale house we made an offer on was 15 minutes from massive amounts of shopping and restaurants. It took us about 45 minutes to get to LLV from the Strip and I didn't see very much in the way of shopping OR places to eat. There's a little grocery and a cafe in the LLV village but there are a lot of empty storefronts, which always gives me pause.

We didn't go into either of the hotels. There may be more facilities there.

I would love to have a home on LLV and stock up at Costco every two weeks. But I think our heirs -- which are imaginary since we have none -- would most likely be the ones to benefit from appreciation.
Thanks for your perspective, still leaning towards Scottsdale but those condos in LLV are really nice and not expensive. About the HOA cost, yeah something to make sure you understand. I look at the combined yearly cost of HOA (what all is included?), property taxes and insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2018, 03:53 AM
 
1,137 posts, read 571,069 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Things change...s*** happens. You end up moving because:

Your parents need you in another state
Your kids need you in another state
You fall down and break your neck and end up in a nursing home
Your spouse falls down and breaks their neck and ends up in a nursing home
Your spouse of 40+ years decides to divorce you
The local climate/altitude that you loved is now hazardous to your health
The company you worked for goes belly up and your pension disappears
Your spouse dies and you discover s/he spent all the money you thought was in savings
You get new neighbors and they are awful
Your broker runs off with your money
You go on vacation, look around and say, THIS is where I really want to live
Funny! The bolded line is the ONLY one that played into my decision (or even entered my mind) as to where to build my final home. YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 04:51 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
9,766 posts, read 7,047,160 times
Reputation: 14300
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
When I bought a house for retirement I did not think about appreciation at all since I plan to die in this house and don't expect to have to worry about if it goes up or down.
If this is to be your Last house then that is less of a concern.
That was our thoughts exactly when we built our retirement house on property we had purchased about 10 yrs before that. It doesn't matter to us if the values increase or not, we love it here, and also plan to die here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 05:36 AM
 
12,026 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Reputation: 18867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That was our thoughts exactly when we built our retirement house on property we had purchased about 10 yrs before that. It doesn't matter to us if the values increase or not, we love it here, and also plan to die here.
I'm with you on this too. My retirement home will be my last. I don't care in the least what it appreciates or if it doesn't appreciate at all. It has no affect on my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 05:49 AM
 
653 posts, read 336,934 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Thanks for your perspective, still leaning towards Scottsdale but those condos in LLV are really nice and not expensive. About the HOA cost, yeah something to make sure you understand. I look at the combined yearly cost of HOA (what all is included?), property taxes and insurance.
Which condos would they be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,456 posts, read 2,257,184 times
Reputation: 36572
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Thanks for your perspective, still leaning towards Scottsdale but those condos in LLV are really nice and not expensive. About the HOA cost, yeah something to make sure you understand. I look at the combined yearly cost of HOA (what all is included?), property taxes and insurance.
I looked at the LLV condos several years ago when I was planning a move to the Las Vegas area. And there's no doubt the condos and the area are beautiful. However, the HOA fees were in the $400-$600 a month range and that was way more than I wanted to pay. There are very few amenities in the community and for many years, ownership of the common areas, hotels, shops, casino and golf courses were caught up in law suits and bankruptcys so I decided it wasn't for me. I purchased a SFH in Sun City Anthem, Henderson and love it -- 7,000 SF homes and only $125 HOA fees a month, three community centers, plus shopping, hospital and health care 5 minutes away. And my home has appreciated about 45% in seven years though as others say, that wasn't a consideration when I made my purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,446,499 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I looked at the LLV condos several years ago when I was planning a move to the Las Vegas area. And there's no doubt the condos and the area are beautiful. However, the HOA fees were in the $400-$600 a month range and that was way more than I wanted to pay. There are very few amenities in the community and for many years, ownership of the common areas, hotels, shops, casino and golf courses were caught up in law suits and bankruptcys so I decided it wasn't for me. I purchased a SFH in Sun City Anthem, Henderson and love it -- 7,000 SF homes and only $125 HOA fees a month, three community centers, plus shopping, hospital and health care 5 minutes away. And my home has appreciated about 45% in seven years though as others say, that wasn't a consideration when I made my purchase.
Were they all in that $400-$600/mo range? Because when I look at the real estate sites, some of them are showing a much lower HOA such as $42/mo which I wondered how they could do that.


Thanks for the recommendation on the other area of Henderson which I haven't ruled out. One thing that really attracted my attention on LLV was the quality of finishes and design which is above what you normally see. I do recognize the lack of amenities in the area is a big downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,446,499 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by shokwaverider View Post
Which condos would they be?
At this stage I haven't ruled out any of them but I wouldn't want high HOA fees. Some of the ones listed are showing a low HOA and property tax rate so that's very attractive given that we would only use it about 4 months in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,456 posts, read 2,257,184 times
Reputation: 36572
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Were they all in that $400-$600/mo range? Because when I look at the real estate sites, some of them are showing a much lower HOA such as $42/mo which I wondered how they could do that.


Thanks for the recommendation on the other area of Henderson which I haven't ruled out. One thing that really attracted my attention on LLV was the quality of finishes and design which is above what you normally see. I do recognize the lack of amenities in the area is a big downside.
It has been many years since I checked out the condos there. I'd be very surprised if the ones you're seeing at $42 a month are the ones I looked at a few years ago. Now you've made me curious -- I'll check some of them out on Realtor.com and report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
3,456 posts, read 2,257,184 times
Reputation: 36572
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
At this stage I haven't ruled out any of them but I wouldn't want high HOA fees. Some of the ones listed are showing a low HOA and property tax rate so that's very attractive given that we would only use it about 4 months in the winter.
The short answer is, "it depends". See the attached link that explains.

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_B...ENT_UNI-150093
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top