U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 04:22 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,192,889 times

Advertisements

Since I live alone I've gotten a little worried about all I've been reading about the flu. What is it exactly that people are dying of? High temps? Or lung congestion? If it's high temps, I've been wondering if it helps to reduce fever by cooling down the body by going outside in the snow, or by using ice packs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 05:03 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Since I live alone I've gotten a little worried about all I've been reading about the flu. What is it exactly that people are dying of? High temps? Or lung congestion? If it's high temps, I've been wondering if it helps to reduce fever by cooling down the body by going outside in the snow, or by using ice packs?
Iíve heard that for kids itís rapidly rising high fever. For both kids and adults, the inability to breathe. One thing I heard was that a healthy immune system can go on overload too fast and that can do it. When I was in the hospital everyone on my floor had it and all the medical personnel had all sorts of explanations.

I wouldnít go outdoors with a high fever. I think that might encourage pneumonia.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:40 PM

21,543 posts, read 44,068,928 times
Well, since the flu vaccine is so ineffective this year, people might consider taking a dose of this every day for additional immune support:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/natu...8-fl-oz-liquid

Elderberry extract w/echinacea. At slightest hint of something coming, this seems to stop it. I always have a couple bottles in the house. I also take standardized mushroom extract/complex. Started doing that as a preventive years ago when I would visit elderly relatives in nursing homes. Invariably, after one of these visits, I would come home and be fighting off an infection of one sort or another. The mushroom complex helped a lot. Vit C is not effective in and of itself, for me, although I do take a couple grams a day. Also take a lot of Vit D3, plus a ton of other stuff.

Haven't had a flu shot but once in 2005, don't plan on getting one - although now that I'm getting older would consider the pneumonia shot. Will be 76 y/o soon. When I worked, I kept an arsenal at my desk - Vit C, Echinacea, Sambucus. Germs were always flying around, people coughing. If I felt slightest hint of anything, I was able to knock it out.

Minervah, hope you're feeling better soon.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:12 PM

511 posts, read 229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes I did. I donít know if it would have been worse without it. The doctorsí opinions ranged from ďYesĒ to ďTheyíre not doing anybody any good.Ē
I didn't get the flu shot just like the past 35-40 years and I didn't get sick. But I may be a rare exception to what others experience. Pills used as prescribed kill almost 1/4 million a year and they make flu shots.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:01 AM

13,410 posts, read 6,719,736 times
Quote:
Well, I also have Pulmonary Sarcoidosis so even a cold effects me worse than the average person. Add my age to that and itís two strikes. But I get a flu shot every year and this is the first year in a long time, a very long time, Iíve gotten the flu. Prior to getting the shots, because I didnít for a long time, I would some years get the flu which would often go into pneumonia. So thatís why I started and continue to get them. I think itís just that the strain this year is too powerful to overcome as effectively by the immunizations as before.

Itís just a personal decision I guess based on whether the individual believes the shot will help or not. This year people certainly have reason to be skeptical.
It's 10% effective. It's nothing to do with strength. They are guessing at the composition of the virus.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,673,230 times
Minervah, so glad you are in recovery mode. Four days in the hospital sounds very serious! Is it dehydration or what? What do they do for you in the hospital?

For people defending the flu shot with the whole the guessing at strains and got it wrong etc. Not so fast.
They have just found out that, after all these years of you must you must you must get the shot, apparently
growing it in eggs the way they do does something to it to make it less effective.
Basically a lot of information we get about vaccines is bs. Scientists/doctors only know what they know but always treat
that info as if it where 150% correct. "You must bleed the patient to cure xyz" Years later........

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ce-protection/

"Last year’s flu vaccine should have worked well. The strain that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration chose for the seasonal vaccine did indeed closely match the viruses that sickened people. So when its effectiveness proved disappointing, Scott Hensley, a microbiologist at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, and his colleagues began to investigate."

I don't know how much testing actually gets done but it seems like a long time before they finally figured this out no?

Meanwhile I'm flying Thursday and wondering if I'll pick this up. I picked up something when I traveled in November. Yes I did get the shot you are welcome big pharma. Fat lot of good it'll do me.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Minervah, so glad you are in recovery mode. Four days in the hospital sounds very serious! Is it dehydration or what? What do they do for you in the hospital?

For people defending the flu shot with the whole the guessing at strains and got it wrong etc. Not so fast.
They have just found out that, after all these years of you must you must you must get the shot, apparently
growing it in eggs the way they do does something to it to make it less effective.
Basically a lot of information we get about vaccines is bs. Scientists/doctors only know what they know but always treat
that info as if it where 150% correct. "You must bleed the patient to cure xyz" Years later........

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ce-protection/

"Last yearís flu vaccine should have worked well. The strain that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration chose for the seasonal vaccine did indeed closely match the viruses that sickened people. So when its effectiveness proved disappointing, Scott Hensley, a microbiologist at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, and his colleagues began to investigate."

I don't know how much testing actually gets done but it seems like a long time before they finally figured this out no?

Meanwhile I'm flying Thursday and wondering if I'll pick this up. I picked up something when I traveled in November. Yes I did get the shot you are welcome big pharma. Fat lot of good it'll do me.
Yes I was dehydrated which surprised me because I was drinking what I thought was a lot of water. But I guess the fever was working on that. So I was given an IV with fluids and a steroid to bring down inflammation right away. Also Tamiflu which Iíve just stopped taking. Tylonel which I think is kind of useless but thatís their drug of choice for headaches. Cepacol for my sore throat and Benzonatate (still taking) for the cough. Respiratory therapy which I do at home all the time too.

All the clinics like the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo etc have good online advice on how not to get the flu and what to do if you get it. But I believe who who will and who wonít and how they react kind of boils down to individual health conditions and immune systems. I was born with a compromised immune system so the best I can do is be careful. Getting old definitely does not help.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:04 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,308,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
I didn't get the flu shot just like the past 35-40 years and I didn't get sick. But I may be a rare exception to what others experience. Pills used as prescribed kill almost 1/4 million a year and they make flu shots.
Same here no vaccines for decades, Grape Seed Extract for at least 2 decades.. Other antioxidants too. No flu, no colds. MOST of our population do not do their own healing and immune system building.

My mind started to change in the 80's after a trip to the ER for a pharma drug that caused a stomach ulcer and I was in my 50's... That event was my turningpoint.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-29-2018 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 12:31 PM

I have used many homeopathic remedies including Ayurvedic remedies. I have gone to some very good naturopathic practitioners. I believe in them but I always read up on what they prescribe for me. I have also refused meds I thought to be harmful prescribed by my doctors. My family is into natural remedies, my sister and niece in particular. I am not delusional enough to believe any pill, supplement or herb will ďcureĒ me but I do take a certain amount of each to help in maintaining my health to be as good as I can get it.

One thing I donít normally do is advise people what to take for what because I leave that to the experts although I will say what has and what hasnít worked for me. I believe everyone is different. One size does not fit all when it comes to these things. What works for one doesnít necessarily work for another.

My one treasured go-to bible on health and science is a newsletter published by this group. This I do recommend.

https://cspinet.org/

Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM

7,983 posts, read 11,673,230 times
Quote:
Yes I was dehydrated which surprised me because I was drinking what I thought was a lot of water. But I guess the fever was working on that. So I was given an IV with fluids and a steroid to bring down inflammation right away. Also Tamiflu which Iíve just stopped taking. Tylonel which I think is kind of useless but thatís their drug of choice for headaches. Cepacol for my sore throat and Benzonatate (still taking) for the cough. Respiratory therapy which I do at home all the time too.

All the clinics like the Cleveland Clinic, Mayo etc have good online advice on how not to get the flu and what to do if you get it. But I believe who who will and who wonít and how they react kind of boils down to individual health conditions and immune systems. I was born with a compromised immune system so the best I can do is be careful. Getting old definitely does not help.
I think a good tip for the flu or anything that risks dehydration is to supplement water with pedialyte. Alternatively gatorade. One thing I heard that can happen with dehydration is that when your electrolytes get out of whack it can affect your heart and that is sometimes what causes the flu to be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement