U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 02:42 PM

1,332 posts, read 652,099 times

Advertisements

!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I suspected flu because I had a fever which I never get with a cold. I was right.
Hope you are well soon !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:26 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,593,647 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Zpc82j32M

Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Love it!

Old 01-31-2018, 04:10 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,563,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
It's 10% effective. It's nothing to do with strength. They are guessing at the composition of the virus.
I couldn't get a ride, but was going to get a shot. I'm still considering. But the last time I got a shot I was really sick from it, worse than most flu. And as I have unique medical situations, I worry about both. But the possigle side effects of the shot is unpredictable.

My current idea is stay home, and not be around anyone. I still order everything online. What scares me about the shot is If it reacted I'd get anywhere from a mild one to a really bad one. I feel safer staying home and away from people.

I decided to give it some time. The worse I've ever had flu was FROM the shot.

Ten percent doesn't give me much confidence in it and I'm thinking staying home may be the best idea for me and the furry crew.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,563,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Well, since the flu vaccine is so ineffective this year, people might consider taking a dose of this every day for additional immune support:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/natu...8-fl-oz-liquid

Elderberry extract w/echinacea. At slightest hint of something coming, this seems to stop it. I always have a couple bottles in the house. I also take standardized mushroom extract/complex. Started doing that as a preventive years ago when I would visit elderly relatives in nursing homes. Invariably, after one of these visits, I would come home and be fighting off an infection of one sort or another. The mushroom complex helped a lot. Vit C is not effective in and of itself, for me, although I do take a couple grams a day. Also take a lot of Vit D3, plus a ton of other stuff.

Haven't had a flu shot but once in 2005, don't plan on getting one - although now that I'm getting older would consider the pneumonia shot. Will be 76 y/o soon. When I worked, I kept an arsenal at my desk - Vit C, Echinacea, Sambucus. Germs were always flying around, people coughing. If I felt slightest hint of anything, I was able to knock it out.

Minervah, hope you're feeling better soon.
Thanks. I'll order some. I've found the natural stuff works well with me and also that just staying with the four legged kids works better than betting on luck. And will be getting more gateraide. Its my go to fix for feeling unwell with dehydration in the summer. I drink it as a preventative.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:44 PM

31,729 posts, read 20,009,652 times
Take care of yourself!! The house doesn't need to be cleaned, or any chores, if you have no one home with you, have your groceries delivered or delivery take-out.

Enjoy watching TV and reading (or whatever takes no effort from you).

Your health is the most important thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-31-2018, 07:31 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,540,537 times
Apparently there's another viral infection going around that pretends to be the flu - adenovirus. That may be why some people think the flu vaccine 'gave them' the flu (which isn't biologically possible - although one can have a bad reaction to the vaccine that wouldn't be the flu itself).

Old 01-31-2018, 09:29 PM

4,990 posts, read 2,296,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
For those of you who have had the flu.....did you know it was the flu right from the start, or did you think it was a cold...
I didnít right away because this flu can do this weird ďtwo-punchĒ thing, where you think you have beat it & it circles back at you.

All 3 of my teenagers had it, including the disabled one & they all had it worse the first time around. Iím sort of used to not getting sick as much as they do, even though they are physically healthier than I & Iíve always attributed that to working on the Pediatrics floor of the busiest hospital in the state: I assume Iíve been exposed to almost every contagion known to man!

By the time the 2nd round of it started, the kidsí tests were coming back positive & I thought that once again, I was getting away with the minimum.

Boy was I wrong! That was exactly one month ago & Im still not back 100%, while the kids are full speed ahead.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 AM

649 posts, read 554,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I couldn't get a ride, but was going to get a shot. I'm still considering. But the last time I got a shot I was really sick from it, worse than most flu. And as I have unique medical situations, I worry about both. But the possigle side effects of the shot is unpredictable.

My current idea is stay home, and not be around anyone. I still order everything online. What scares me about the shot is If it reacted I'd get anywhere from a mild one to a really bad one. I feel safer staying home and away from people.

I decided to give it some time. The worse I've ever had flu was FROM the shot.

Ten percent doesn't give me much confidence in it and I'm thinking staying home may be the best idea for me and the furry crew.
Sorry you got sick, but you CANNOT get the flu from the vaccine. If you got sick after the vaccine, you either were already sick or got a strain that the vaccine didn't effect.

If you don't believe me, would you believe the CDC, The Mayo Clinic, Johns' Hopkins and every other medical expert around the world? The vaccine is dead, which causes your body to build immunity but cannot give you the flu.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 AM

588 posts, read 144,364 times
Thumbs down  

I dont wanna get too much into the topic but: No I would not........They have thier own Agenda!!!

Almost EVERY YEAR I come down with the flu when they start rolling up thier sleeves in september....... Its aggravating...... Im trying to protect my immune system from further damage and I still have to worry! (At least Im not getting the stuff in the vax thats harmfull)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement