U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 06:18 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,811,295 times

Advertisements

Become a Vegan! I’ve not had a respiratory infection(or any infection actually) since I became a Vegan. I’m really convinced that these bugs are transferred in meat and chicken, or at least eating meat and chicken dramatically increases your susceptibility to them. I’m 68 yo by the way, and have only ever gotten the flu in a year that I was convinced to take the flu shot. I have a history of personal experience to go on. The CDC etc. doesn’t live in my body. Besides, the CDC simply does whatever the drug companies tell it to do or say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 06:23 AM

30,104 posts, read 47,335,107 times
I am so grateful my husband and I (knock wood) have escaped the flu this season
We had our shots early --end of August or first of Sept---and so did friend of ours who DID get the flu
We wound up taking her to the ER after she had reaction to the Tamiflu she started taking--
She was dehydrated from vomiting because she took it on empty stomach apparently
I thought we both would come down w/it after that close an exposure but we didn't

My daughter teaches and they have 5 yr old boy who goes to preschool---
They and we were sick at Christmas from just URI but no flu
We are in FL right now and will return to our TX home in DFW area in Feb
I don't think the flu as been as severe in our part of FL--despite the higher concentration of seniors here--as it has been in DFW area and other locations---so I am hoping it has waned by time we return to TX

Old 02-01-2018, 07:55 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Become a Vegan! Iíve not had a respiratory infection(or any infection actually) since I became a Vegan. Iím really convinced that these bugs are transferred in meat and chicken, or at least eating meat and chicken dramatically increases your susceptibility to them. Iím 68 yo by the way, and have only ever gotten the flu in a year that I was convinced to take the flu shot. I have a history of personal experience to go on. The CDC etc. doesnít live in my body. Besides, the CDC simply does whatever the drug companies tell it to do or say.
I am sorry but I have to speak up here. Becoming a vegan will not prevent people from getting the flu. Unless you have clinical proof, your suggestion is groundless. Everyoneís physiological make up is different. I was born with a chronic auto immune disease. I have eaten various diets including vegan and although I do believe eating well kept me healthy as much as possible, it could never bring me to the level of health as one who was born with a normal immune system. That means a higher susceptibility to flu.

I have never seen proof that vegans do not get flu just because of their diet any more than non-vegans. You canít hold your own experience up as the only example to make such a claim for all vegans. And conversely, I know many heavy meat eaters who also never get colds or flu.

People who find methods of keeping healthy for themselves are fine and I am glad this seems to be working for you. But itís not for everyone just like not every prescription is for everyone either.

And and BTW, if your theory that the bugs are living on meat and chicken is correct, cooking would kill the bugs.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:13 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,811,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was born with a chronic auto immune disease.
Here you go. Someone like you is beholden to whatever doctors say in order to stay alive. You have an agenda.

By the way, I didn’t do a study. Who would fund it? Studies are only funded by drug companies to make big money selling products that cost pennies for 100’s of dollars to people like you and me.

The study is me. I have fibromyalgia, chronic pelvic pain syndrome, chronic GERD, sciatica, and chronic Lyme Disease. I went to doctors and their “studies” for all of these things, and found no relief. I had to research it myself. I discovered a doctor who recommended a safe and functional solution. Chronic PP? No doctor would even identify it for me. I found a solution in a food and an herb and some vitamins. GERD? No doctor study solution worked for me. I finally in desperation became a Vegan(which has had other benefits), because now I don’t ingest anything that causes my digestive system to produce acid. Doctors tell me that’s dumb, and that there are no studies to show this(Yeah----a drug company that markets Nexium is going to tell you you don’t need that). The CDC claims Chronic Lyme doesn’t exist. Again I have had to go to herbal cures to find a solution.

Pardon me if I don’t appreciate all the good doctors who try so hard but have no solutions based on drug company trials to help me.

You have a science based Linear view of the world. Unfortunately the real world is a complex, chaotic system. There is really no Linearity. Everything interacts with everything else to cause things to happen. YOU will never solve you problems either yourself or by doctors who are looking for a science study based silver bullet. It doesn't exist, even if you want it to.

A vegan diet maintained consistently over a period of years, increases the immune system. However, if you already have a destroyed immune system(like taking antibiotics for years for Lyme disease) then being a vegan for a few months will not help you. The flu is most affected by the impact of the immune system, and the ability of the system not to go into overload, like it can with Lyme. Its much more complex than you think it is. Most doctor know nothing about this, and simple prescribe what the drug companies tell them to.

Last edited by slyfox2; 02-01-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 09:04 AM

2,025 posts, read 1,110,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Here you go. Someone like you is beholden to whatever doctors say in order to stay alive. You have an agenda.

By the way, I didn’t do a study. Who would fund it? Studies are only funded by drug companies to make big money selling products that cost pennies for 100’s of dollars to people like you and me.

The study is me. I have fibromyalgia, chronic pelvic pain syndrome, chronic GERD, sciatica, and chronic Lyme Disease. I went to doctors and their “studies” for all of these things, and found no relief. I had to research it myself. I discovered a doctor who recommended a safe and functional solution. Chronic PP? No doctor would even identify it for me. I found a solution in a food and an herb and some vitamins. GERD? No doctor study solution worked for me. I finally in desperation became a Vegan(which has had other benefits), because now I don’t ingest anything that causes my digestive system to produce acid. Doctors tell me that’s dumb, and that there are no studies to show this(Yeah----a drug company that markets Nexium is going to tell you you don’t need that). The CDC claims Chronic Lyme doesn’t exist. Again I have had to go to herbal cures to find a solution.

Pardon me if I don’t appreciate all the good doctors who try so hard but have no solutions based on drug company trials to help me.

You have a science based Linear view of the world. Unfortunately the real world is a complex, chaotic system. There is really no Linearity. Everything interacts with everything else to cause things to happen. YOU will never solve you problems either yourself or by doctors who are looking for a science study based silver bullet. It doesn't exist, even if you want it to.

A vegan diet maintained consistently over a period of years, increases the immune system. However, if you already have a destroyed immune system(like taking antibiotics for years for Lyme disease) then being a vegan for a few months will not help you. The flu is most affected by the impact of the immune system, and the ability of the system not to go into overload, like it can with Lyme. Its much more complex than you think it is. Most doctor know nothing about this, and simple prescribe what the drug companies tell them to.
From WebMD:

"But it is more important to eat a wide variety of healthy foods from all food groups to boost your body’s immune system."

"Lean protein is also important, because the immune molecules are made of protein."

The article on WebMD the comments came from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ou-avoid-flu#2

Obviously you are all in on the vegan thing, just keep in mind eating small amounts of meat is not a bad thing, it's actually important for your body, including for your immune system as noted by the second quote I posted from WebMD.

You've accused someone else of having an agenda, but it seems you may have your own.

I'll tell you a little story, one of non-fiction. My step-mother used to get on my father about his weight when I was a kid. When Jim Fixx wrote a book titled The Complete Book of Running, my step-mother nagged my father about Fixx who lost a lot of weight running. My father never got into the fitness or running craze, he lived to be 80 years and 9 months old. Jim Fixx died at the age of 52 - while jogging. Let that sink in. Sometimes we believe we have the answers and have blinders on to everything else. I got the flu shot for the first time in decades, and haven't gotten the flu.

Last edited by OhioJB; 02-01-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
From WebMD:

"But it is more important to eat a wide variety of healthy foods from all food groups to boost your bodyís immune system."

"Lean protein is also important, because the immune molecules are made of protein."

The article on WebMD the comments came from: https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/...ou-avoid-flu#2

Obviously you are all in on the vegan thing, just keep in mind eating small amounts of meat is not a bad thing, it's actually important for your body, including for your immune system as noted by the second quote I posted from WebMD.

You've accused someone else of having an agenda, but it seems you may have your own.

I'll tell you a little story, one of non-fiction. My step-mother used to get on my father about his weight when I was a kid. When Jim Fixx wrote a book titled The Complete Book of Running, my step-mother nagged my father about Fixx who lost a lot of weight running. My father never got into the fitness or running craze, he lived to be 80 years and 9 months old. Jim Fixx died at the age of 52 - while jogging. Let that sink in. Sometimes we believe we have the answers and have blinders on to everything else. I got the flu shot for the first time in decades, and haven't gotten the flu. Knock on wood.
The problem with people as those to whom you are responding is they believe everyone is ignorant on their subject and they alone have found the Holy Grail to health. Annecdotal evidence is all they can bring forth to support their cause. My fear is that others will follow their advice without doing their own thorough research and do themselves harm. There are many competent people in the field of diet, various forms of medical treatment and healthful lifestyles besides those with which we are traditionally familiar. These do not include someone posting on the Internet dictating an agenda based on personal experience only.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,668,181 times
Quote:
The problem with people as those to whom you are responding is they believe everyone is ignorant on their subject and they alone have found the Holy Grail to health. Annecdotal evidence is all they can bring forth to support their cause. My fear is that others will follow their advice without doing their own thorough research and do themselves harm. There are many competent people in the field of diet, various forms of medical treatment and healthful lifestyles besides those with which we are traditionally familiar. These do not include someone posting on the Internet dictating an agenda based on personal experience only.

Minervah, I’m glad you are feeling better and home. Your treatment worked. There are so many anecdotal stories and while I love the internet, sifting through the information gets tougher every day with self-proclaimed experts on every subject.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Minervah, Iím glad you are feeling better and home. Your treatment worked. There are so many anecdotal stories and while I love the internet, sifting through the information gets tougher every day with self-proclaimed experts on every subject.
So agree! I think I mentioned here before regarding the flu that even in the hospital everyone had a theory as to how to prevent it and how to cure it. I got a kick out of all the advice I was given.

I think people are so dazzled with the Internet having information on everything they just have a difficult time comprehending that even with modern technology there are some questions for which we simply do not have the answers. Sometimes all it takes is a lowly flu bug to humble us humans into reminding us we can be bested from time to time.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:19 AM

7,661 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
The problem with people as those to whom you are responding is they believe everyone is ignorant on their subject and they alone have found the Holy Grail to health. Anecdotal evidence
Not to mention "Correlation does not equal causation"

Quote:
is all they can bring forth to support their cause. My fear is that others will follow their advice without doing their own thorough research and do themselves harm.
I know, but other than repeating the facts -- like flu is an AIRBORNE virus, you can get it from the exhalation, cough or sneeze of someone who has the flu -- there's not much we can do about the woo being spread on a daily basis.

Though I will try, futile as it is.

A few years ago, I came down with the flu the day after I got the flu shot. Wow! The flu shot gave me the flu, right?

Wrong.

I already had the flu virus when I got the shot. I know this because it takes about 48 hours after infection for symptoms to become apparent. I also know this because injectable flu vaccines are made with killed viruses.

It takes about two weeks after the flu shot for your body to produce antibodies to the flu. Those antibodies are your defense, not the shot itself.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:24 AM

7,661 posts, read 4,705,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
I dont wanna get too much into the topic but: No I would not........They have thier own Agenda!!!
Yes. THEY want you to be healthy and stay healthy. It's nefarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement