U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 06:46 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,668,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
........... I'll bet most doctors will never tell a patient, especially a new one
Most doctors are not used to asking further questions asked by patients about things like unusual body states and the cautions which go with them. So the patient HAS to bring them up and explain and expect the doctor to respect their advise..........,
Interesting you should say this. Itís true but this flu has doctors so uncertain they donít know what to make if it either. I had one doctor who visited me in the hospital tell me she actually thought the shot was worthless. She sounded really discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 08:08 AM

66 posts, read 20,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Interesting you should say this. Itís true but this flu has doctors so uncertain they donít know what to make if it either. I had one doctor who visited me in the hospital tell me she actually thought the shot was worthless. She sounded really discouraged.
Australia has their winter/flu season before we do. I check and see how the flu shot faired with them as a gauge on how I will spend my winter. Seeing that Australia reported about 10% effectiveness I decided to limit my winter activities and be more of a homebody this year.

You can't totally isolate yourself but you can minimize your outings and dealings with the public.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:12 AM

2,611 posts, read 1,362,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tams3757 View Post
Australia has their winter/flu season before we do. I check and see how the flu shot faired with them as a gauge on how I will spend my winter. Seeing that Australia reported about 10% effectiveness I decided to limit my winter activities and be more of a homebody this year.

You can't totally isolate yourself but you can minimize your outings and dealings with the public.
Well, that is a good idea. If everyone could do that it would minimize the spread of things enormously. Unfortunately lots of people just have to go out every day, but that is a good commonsense idea for folks who have the choice. Well done.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, that is a good idea. If everyone could do that it would minimize the spread of things enormously. Unfortunately lots of people just have to go out every day, but that is a good commonsense idea for folks who have the choice. Well done.
Of course there are lots of people that have no choice. They don't get sick days and cannot afford to stay home. Plenty of sick kids in the schools as well.

But being retired I do have a choice now.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:10 AM

6,125 posts, read 9,083,586 times
Just wondering about all those people going to the Superbowl. I bet we will see a whole sea of masks sitting there watching football. LOL

Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM

23,415 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tams3757 View Post
Of course there are lots of people that have no choice. They don't get sick days and cannot afford to stay home. Plenty of sick kids in the schools as well.

But being retired I do have a choice now.
Employers should not allow employees to work while they are sick. It exposes other employees, reducing productivity, and exposes customers and vendors.

Schools send sick kids home, too.

Anyone who cannot miss work should see about increasing hours when he is well.

Someone with full blown influenza will probably be physically unable to work, even if work from home is an option.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:36 AM

23,415 posts, read 28,264,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Just wondering about all those people going to the Superbowl. I bet we will see a whole sea of masks sitting there watching football. LOL
Perhaps they will sell masks along with the beer and snacks!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Employers should not allow employees to work while they are sick. It exposes other employees, reducing productivity, and exposes customers and vendors.

Schools send sick kids home, too.

Anyone who cannot miss work should see about increasing hours when he is well.

Someone with full blown influenza will probably be physically unable to work, even if work from home is an option.
But we know that doesn't happen in the real world.

Sick kids are at school exposing their germs to everyone.
People go to work sick and many of your min wage folks can't get extra hours.
Once that flu kicks in after a couple of days yes they will stay home because they physically can't get to work.

It can't be helped..that's life.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times
I went to work the 4-12midnight shift Thursday. I started with a minor tickle in my throat, nothing to be concerned about. But by midnite I had full on productive cough, went through 2 hospitality sized boxes of Kleenex, and was,hot.

I got home, took some Nyquil. I wear an eye mask at night, and when I put it on, I could feel the heat of fever bounce back at me. By 3:30 am I woke up in a soaked through pool of sweat, the fever had broken. But by morning I felt worse, everything aches on the pain scale of 10 at about a 14. I had vertigo. I called to get in to see my doc. The flu swab came back confirmed : I had the flu, and also a temp of 101.4.

He ordered me off work, scripted tamiflu, and I don't know I made it home.

I had my OH pick up the script, get more cold and flu symptom reliever and took both and back to bed.

YES I GET THE FLU SHOT EVERY YEAR, INCLUDING LAST OCT.

They say this year the flu shot is,only 20% effective, that it's a nasty flu going around. It hits hard and fast.

It is now Saturday afternoon. I feel better but am no where over it and am off work until Wednesday at least.
My OH and I share the same doctor, to help my OH, the doc also prescribed tamiflu for my OH too, who, is now showing the early signs too.

To say I was miserable yesterday is a total understatement. I am certainly still miserable today, and I think the fever us going up again. I am sweating and chilled at the same time keep trading pjs to dry ones.

Hopefully I will NOT need hospitalization. But even with both pneumonia vaccines, I am very prone to it, and my doc said It could set in again. For THAT I will need hospitalization.

NO ONE WANTS IT.

Sympathy to anyone who is suffering lije me.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:25 PM

588 posts, read 144,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010
Yes I dont understand this Suzy!!

Why do people work when they are sick???/ All they do is #1) Make themselves worse and #2) Possibly expose others when there isnt a need to!!!!

STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!! -- Let them find someone else to cover you!! -- Why be suffering??

I dunno........ Maybe some Jobs force people to go even when ill??

I dunno........

I am so sorry to everyone reading this who isnt feeling well now and I hope you get well soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement