U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 08:48 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I suggest you contact the author of the article. As stated, I posted it as a suggestion to the poster who was concerned about traveling as to the possibility of whether or not they may get ill from airborne germs on a plane. Itís a study they might like to read. I am am not defending it either way.

I have stated time and time again it is my and my doctorsí belief I contacted the flu via breathing airborne transmission because of my chronic autoimmune disease. No argument there either.
The article was not based on a study so Suzy and others would be wasting their time contacting the author. Suzy is saying that the flu is passed via airborne germs and that someone seated near an infected passenger is at a higher risk for contracting the flu. The quoted Olivia Gordon does NOT disagree with this. For those interested, here is a link to the infamous Olivia Gordon explaining her thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWoNMPZXGV8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 AM

23,440 posts, read 28,297,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

But most people are smart enough to know when it was the shot ... that made them feel sick.
Yes, you may feel bad for a couple of days after getting a vaccine, but you would probably feel worse and be sick longer after getting the disease the vaccine prevents. Flu vaccine does not give you a flu infection.

Quote:
I suggest you contact the author of the article. As stated, I posted it as a suggestion to the poster who was concerned about traveling as to the possibility of whether or not they may get ill from airborne germs on a plane. Itís a study they might like to read. I am am not defending it either way.

I have stated time and time again it is my and my doctorsí belief I contacted the flu via breathing airborne transmission because of my chronic autoimmune disease. No argument there either.
My question about the article was the author's interpretation of the study. It is clear you can catch flu on an airplane, despite filtration by the plane's ventilation system.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:06 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,221,259 times
Just in case anyone missed this ER nurse's youtube rant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A5zO4ljpd8

Old 02-05-2018, 03:17 PM

13,323 posts, read 25,578,684 times
Quote:

Oh and a big shout out to BrightDogLover and all the nurses and aides and techs in or were in the medical field. You are the unsung heroes of our time. The doctors would be nothing without you.
You're too kind, to me, anyway. Remember, I worked in psychiatric!
I have been the recipient of excellent hands-on care in my few hospital stays in Concord, Mass. Much appreciated all concerned.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,869,967 times
Does rinsing your nasal passages out with a saline rinse help prevent the flu? Heard this helps, but not sure. Truth or myth??

Old 02-05-2018, 08:30 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Does rinsing your nasal passages out with a saline rinse help prevent the flu? Heard this helps, but not sure. Truth or myth??
No. It makes your nose more comfortable, and that's important too.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,076,832 times
It helps with my allergies but I don't know if it would be helpful with airborne viruses. It certainly can't hurt I don't think.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,784,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Yes he did. He asked if I ever took Levaquin, no. Asked it I ever took Cipro, yes I did, at least 4 times over 20 years, it was my go-to antibiotic as I am allergic to penicillin. Never a reaction to Cipro, but last time I took it was 7 years ago.

He and my US doctor told me to not take Cipro in future. I am running out of antibiotics I can take!

I am getting myself tested for penicillin allergy in 2 weeks (in the US). It is possible that I as well as many in their 60s and 70s were told by well-meaning parents that they are allergic to penicillin when in fact they are not.

Here is info:https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ly-not-n243161

Levaquin is in the same drug group as Cipro, fluoroquinolones, that can cause tendon ruptures...read the FDA bulletins.

I have an outpatient procedure every 3 months after which I was given a large dose of Cipro. I developed a sharp pain in my right Achilles tendon, & a lump in it. Someone I knew told me about Cipro side effects, so I had a MRI at the ortho doc, & sure enough, my AC was tearing, although not totally severed. I had treatment & could only walk on flat surfaces for a year.

I told my urologist who did the quarterly surgical procedure & she was apologetic...I guess they can’t keep up with everything? I don’t know. Now after the procedure, I get an antiobiotic that is not in the fluoroquinolones family.

Another CD poster has detailed her Cipro problems...in her case, both of her ACs completely tore & she needed surgery.

I remember when my kids were little & had ear infections or strep throat & the pediatrician handed out Cipro like candy...it was the “miracle drug”. And I trusted him!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 02-06-2018 at 01:47 AM..

Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 AM

4,446 posts, read 2,619,895 times
Hmm, this,thread has gone from flu to other things and arguments.

From my first post here, I stated with the flu hitting me hard over the second shift 8 hours at work Thursday nite. It set in quickly. Overnight I had a fever, it broke, I sweated my pjs and the bed, but was absolutely miserable Friday and was lucky to get in to see my doctor. Now it is Tuesday, i go back to see him today.

The tamiflu prescription helped,but I still have it, maybe 1/2 better. I've been off from work two days, I'm hoping he'll extend me til Friday. Tomorrow is a heavy snow fall and I will end up spending 3 or 4 hours at work trying to keep up with the snow at work. I'm already wiped out energy wise, thst will wear me out quickly to do snow removal too.

In also hoping for another round of the tamiflu to get me over the hump I'm in. My lungs have tightened, which could mean pneumonia has set in. I'm prone to pneumonia, even though I've had bith pneumonia shots. It is,a compounding complication of the flu.

There are over 27,000 confirmed cases of flu in my state, I'm one of them.

The best thing is I haven't had to be hospitalized, at least not yet.

As,for the flu vaccine "causing" tge flu? I get SICK every year when I get the flu vaccine. They say you can't get it, but you can't prove it by me.

The last two nights I've slept 12 hours straight, highly unusual for me. I usually sleep 3 hours, am up for about 2 then sleep another 3. So sleeping through this is what I'm doing. Lol, it's the time I feel "better". But I wake up to coughing and stuffy nose and body aches again.

And keeping up fluids? I drink a bottle of water every half hour.

So I'll see what the doc says, hopefully pneumonia hasn't set in. I don't need both.

Hope all who suffer heal well. I Wil, but I think I need a few more days, as I may still be highly contagious.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM

23,440 posts, read 28,297,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hmm, this,thread has gone from flu to other things and arguments.

From my first post here, I stated with the flu hitting me hard over the second shift 8 hours at work Thursday nite. It set in quickly. Overnight I had a fever, it broke, I sweated my pjs and the bed, but was absolutely miserable Friday and was lucky to get in to see my doctor. Now it is Tuesday, i go back to see him today.

The tamiflu prescription helped,but I still have it, maybe 1/2 better. I've been off from work two days, I'm hoping he'll extend me til Friday. Tomorrow is a heavy snow fall and I will end up spending 3 or 4 hours at work trying to keep up with the snow at work. I'm already wiped out energy wise, thst will wear me out quickly to do snow removal too.

In also hoping for another round of the tamiflu to get me over the hump I'm in. My lungs have tightened, which could mean pneumonia has set in. I'm prone to pneumonia, even though I've had bith pneumonia shots. It is,a compounding complication of the flu.

There are over 27,000 confirmed cases of flu in my state, I'm one of them.

The best thing is I haven't had to be hospitalized, at least not yet.

As,for the flu vaccine "causing" tge flu? I get SICK every year when I get the flu vaccine. They say you can't get it, but you can't prove it by me.

The last two nights I've slept 12 hours straight, highly unusual for me. I usually sleep 3 hours, am up for about 2 then sleep another 3. So sleeping through this is what I'm doing. Lol, it's the time I feel "better". But I wake up to coughing and stuffy nose and body aches again.

And keeping up fluids? I drink a bottle of water every half hour.

So I'll see what the doc says, hopefully pneumonia hasn't set in. I don't need both.

Hope all who suffer heal well. I Wil, but I think I need a few more days, as I may still be highly contagious.
I hope you get to skip the pneumonia, but if you seem to be getting worse, touch base with your doctor. At this point more Tamiflu will probably not help.

I realize that it is easy to believe the vaccine gave you the flu if you feel like you have the flu after you take it, but it is your immune system responding to the vaccine that causes you to feel that way, not an infection with the flu virus. The virus in the vaccine is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement