U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 AM

2,626 posts, read 1,378,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've heard it helps if you sleep somewhat propped up, so the crap in the lungs doesn't cover the entire lung surface. We asthmatics know that night, when we're flat in bed, is a bad time for our lungs. The body's natural defenses at their lowest then, too.
I've often wondered about that. If the stuff sits in the bottom of your lungs how do you ever manage to get it up? I figured that's why you don't cough so much in the daytime; you're sitting up so your lungs aren't as congested because it's all settled down at the bottom. Then when you lie down at night it can ooze upwards and you can cough it up in the morning and get rid of it (sorry folks who are horrified at this scene). Is that a wrong assumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:24 AM

87,071 posts, read 102,800,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I've often wondered about that. If the stuff sits in the bottom of your lungs how do you ever manage to get it up? I figured that's why you don't cough so much in the daytime; you're sitting up so your lungs aren't as congested because it's all settled down at the bottom. Then when you lie down at night it can ooze upwards and you can cough it up in the morning and get rid of it (sorry folks who are horrified at this scene). Is that a wrong assumption?
Actually, it's kind of the opposite. When you are up and about you cough the stuff up. When you lie down to sleep, it all accumulates till you wake up and start coughing. That's why we nurses tell people not to suppress a cough during the day. (Retired RN here)

Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 AM

4,991 posts, read 3,484,048 times
I noticed I haven't been sick at all since I stopped working & shortened my exposure to people. When I was working I got sick every year, flu shot or not.

Hope you feel well soon, Minerva.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 AM

9,784 posts, read 7,075,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thanks. I am actually feeling better at home tonight. Must be that ďcat magicĒ my kitty is rubbing off on me.
It's always feels better to sleep in your own bed with your own pillows, and familiar surroundings, doesn't it?. And all the TLC from your kitty nurse, of course!.

Take care of yourself and my best wishes for your continued recovery, and that you'll be feeling well real soon.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:20 AM

9,784 posts, read 7,075,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I noticed I haven't been sick at all since I stopped working & shortened my exposure to people. When I was working I got sick every year, flu shot or not.

Shhhhhhh, don't say that, lest you anger the gods of pestilence and woe and they smite you!

Just kidding, of course, I'm referring to what seems to happen to me when I say out loud that it's been (...fill in the time) since I've been sick, had a cold, the flu or whatever. Just seems as though I get the grandaddy of all colds, or respiratory cruds, whatever, shortly after I have said that.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:36 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,722,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, it's kind of the opposite. When you are up and about you cough the stuff up. When you lie down to sleep, it all accumulates till you wake up and start coughing. That's why we nurses tell people not to suppress a cough during the day. (Retired RN here)
Yeah thatís what they told me all the time. Also walking around helps. When I was wheezing it was always worse lying down so the doc said try to get up and move. Shifts stuff around. They did give me cough suppressants during the day though when it got so bad I couldnít catch a breath.

But yeah, I sure found mornings are the worst if youíre lying flat all night.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

Thanks. I tried to hide from people but they found me.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It's always feels better to sleep in your own bed with your own pillows, and familiar surroundings, doesn't it?. And all the TLC from your kitty nurse, of course!.

Take care of yourself and my best wishes for your continued recovery, and that you'll be feeling well real soon.
Yes it does. And speaking of beds, my nice neighbor who took care of my kitty cleaned up my apartment and changed my bedsheets so I would have a nice clean place to come home to. Now thatís really going above and beyond.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:56 AM

1,527 posts, read 638,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes it does. And speaking of beds, my nice neighbor who took care of my kitty cleaned up my apartment and changed my bedsheets so I would have a nice clean place to come home to. Now thatís really going above and beyond.
Hope you will be back to your normal self soon. It is good to have a neighbor who will do these things and look in on you.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM

620 posts, read 256,849 times
Glad you are feeiing better and you have kitty nurses! They are definitely comforting! When I had a horrible flu, followed by a horrible bronchitis a few years ago, in addition to fluids, chicken soup and kitty nurses, I found reading humorous books also seemed to help me recover. Or you might prefer tv comedy....at any rate, like they say laughter is the best medicine! Just some non-medical, unscientific, unsolicited advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement