U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 PM

7,751 posts, read 4,764,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The other device is a weird looking thing. You blow in and try to get a little marker to hover for as long as possible at a smiley face in between a blank face and a frowny one. The idea is to get it there over to the smiley face and hold it as long as possible.

Itís hard!
It sounds hard. I was going to say it sounds like an incentive spirometer but that has to do with taking slow deep breaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 PM

2,485 posts, read 1,083,100 times
Hope you are getting better Minervah. This is one of my worst fears now that I am alone, getting too sick to help myself. I volunteer 3 days a week and see a LOT of people. Been using the hand sanitizer heavily. Luckily my neighbor is an RN so I can call her if I get real sick.

Last time I had the flu it lasted 3 weeks. Been getting the shot ever since.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:24 PM

7,751 posts, read 4,764,587 times
For the medical professionals in the group:

What about using an albuterol inhaler to ease chest tightness when congested with the flu?

Old 01-27-2018, 08:36 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,700,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
So sorry youíve been so sick. It sounds as if you are on the mend now, and are taking care of yourself, with kittyís help.

I read this year that getting a flu shot every year will help tp build immunity in general. I get a shot almost every year, and have never had influenza. But if I get symptoms, I am conracting my doc because I want Tamiflu if I can get it. My DIL had a nasty flu a few weeks ago and was really sick. She did not call her doc for several days. But Because she stayed in her room, and did not move around the house, I think, no one else got sick.

But I am impatient with the slow development of a flu shot that will work for all flus. After all these years, I think modern medicine should have this figured out by now.

At any rate I aporeciate the OPís account of her bout with flu. May you be better ASAP, Minerva!
Thanks and I think the Tamiflu really helps. They sent me home with a few more doses. The cough and other miseries will just have to run their course but the bug is gone. No more fever and thatís a real relief.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:46 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Earlier this month DH had what the doc later said was probably the flu. After a few days with cold-like symptoms, he spent a couple of days in bed with fatigue, aches, and chills. Nothing severe. The doc said the reason it wasn't worse because he got the flu shot (senior version).
A week or so later, I came down with my first cold in 20+ years and had a couple of days of uncharacteristic fatigue. Fingers crossed that was my light flu.

We both eat tons of green chile chicken stew, it's a staple of our winter diet. Maybe that helped?

Condolences and healing thoughts to all of you here who are suffering. Take care!

Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
For the medical professionals in the group:

What about using an albuterol inhaler to ease chest tightness when congested with the flu?
Iím not a health professional, I just play one on CD. Sorry couldnít resist.

I had nebulizer treatments in the hospital four times a day which I also take at home when my breathing gets bad. They used albuterol.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It sounds hard. I was going to say it sounds like an incentive spirometer but that has to do with taking slow deep breaths.
I have another that measures the volume output. There are all kinds of little devices out there. They all give your lungs a workout. I was thinking, I used to play the flute in high school. Maybe I should go back to that. It would be great excercise for my lungs if I could do that again.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:58 PM

490 posts, read 328,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have another that measures the volume output. There are all kinds of little devices out there. They all give your lungs a workout. I was thinking, I used to play the flute in high school. Maybe I should go back to that. It would be great excercise for my lungs if I could do that again.

I think the one you described is some sort of a flutter device. The objective is to create a vibration in your airways, which helps move mucus up and out. We use one at my hospital that our patients lovingly refer to as "the pickle" (because it's green) or, in the case of one elderly Spanish lady, "el gatito", the kitten, because the noise it makes sounds kind of like a purr. (I'm a respiratory therapist, BTW. )

Old 01-28-2018, 12:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,791,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Yes, I have something too. I got the shot late. It was the large dose for older people, and it was about 10 days ago. Now I have chest congestion, a cough, sore throat but no fever. Very very tired. The tightness in my chest is concerning. I tend to think having to put my beloved dog to sleep made this come on. (A lot of crying). I am taking all the OtC meds and staying home. Not much else I can do.

I came down with some kind of ďcrudĒ right after Christmas that sounds like what you had...started with a sore throat & wound up with really bad chest congestion...no fever, but exhausted. It felt like I had an anvil on my chest. It went on for over 3 weeks.

I havenít gotten a flu shot, but TBH, Iím afraid to go out! I havenít been really lucky in the health category for the last few years.

And yes, I believe that the loss of a pet, just like losing anyone you love, lowers your immunity because youíre devastated. My little dog died late last summer & Iím still grieving.

Minervah, I hope you continue to get well.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:46 AM

19,847 posts, read 19,948,859 times
As more people around me come down with it, I've been trying to figure out how to ward it off in case I've been exposed.
I guess there really isn't anything much one can do.
I just packed up some of my husbands paraphernalia (COPD) to get rid of but maybe I should keep it around for "measuring" declining lung capacity.
To the question about a 'puffer'/ Albuterol...that might be helpful but unless prescribed, not something one would have around to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement