U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I Want to mention here how grateful I am for all the get well wishes. They are really helping me feel better. I tried to thank everyone individually so I am sorry if I missed anybody.

I wound up in the hospital for four days because I have a permanent compromised immune system due to Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. That plus my age means Iím a perfect storm for this type of particularly nasty bug. One look at my medical history at the ER and they said, ďOff you go!Ē

So I donít want people to worry that if they are healthy and exposed they will meet the same fate. Just keep taking care of yourselves but donít ignore a persistent fever and or cough if you get one. Thatís what the docs told me were the two most important signs to watch out for.
We're glad you're back home with your kitty. Glad you did well with your treatment, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM

23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
OP, I sure hope you are better soon, sounds like it really got you. My daughter and a good friend were hit. They are turning their corner to feel well again.

I'm on a couple other health groups and one member just sent thru a note this morning on his 72 yr old body/mind on the flu, he takes 5K D3 and 1K Vit C daily...sounds like me but I most days take 2K Vit C. He was talking about his good health re: flu.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:03 PM

6,325 posts, read 3,583,841 times
Scary. Glad you're home again.

We both got the flu this fall. My sinuses are still stuffed up. It was nasty and long-lasting but not bad enough to send me to the doctor so I'm lucky for that.

I'm taking it as anecdotal confirmation that the zinc and Vitamin C I take daily have been helping. I hadn't had the flu since the Eighties and I get an annual flu shot. But this year I went to Mexico for five weeks in September and October and to lighten my luggage I didn't pack them along with me.

As soon as I got home I got my flu shot and within a week I had the flu. Sometimes there's no making sense of it. Our turn, I guess.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:56 PM

489 posts, read 326,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We both got the flu this fall. My sinuses are still stuffed up. It was nasty and long-lasting but not bad enough to send me to the doctor so I'm lucky for that.

As soon as I got home I got my flu shot and within a week I had the flu. Sometimes there's no making sense of it. Our turn, I guess.

If you didn't go to the doctor then you don't actually know for sure if it was the flu... Could have just been some very bad upper respiratory virus/sinus infection. Either way, nasty.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:18 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Scary. Glad you're home again.

I'm taking it as anecdotal confirmation that the zinc and Vitamin C I take daily have been helping. I hadn't had the flu since the Eighties and I get an annual flu shot. But this year I went to Mexico for five weeks in September and October and to lighten my luggage I didn't pack them along with me.

It takes two weeks to get full immunity from the shot. You lost the lottery.

Old 01-28-2018, 01:35 PM

7,701 posts, read 4,731,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
To the question about a 'puffer'/ Albuterol...that might be helpful but unless prescribed, not something one would have around to use.
Yeah, it was pretty much a question just for me. I have tons of albuterol inhalers due to asthma. They seem to collect in my house like driftwood.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:17 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,685,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
If you didn't go to the doctor then you don't actually know for sure if it was the flu... Could have just been some very bad upper respiratory virus/sinus infection. Either way, nasty.
Thatís right. They swab the inside of your cheek for a saliva test. Thatís how the know specifically if you have the bug.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yeah, it was pretty much a question just for me. I have tons of albuterol inhalers due to asthma. They seem to collect in my house like driftwood.
I do too. Thatís besides the nebulizer. All bases covered.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:59 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
I haven't got a flu shot. I'm really not sure what to do. The last time there was flu, I was talked into getting one. The reaction to the shot made me really sick, and came far too soon to rule that out. The reaction from the shot could have been at fault or the flu, but it didn't matter as my reaction is NOT predictable. I had a lot of surgery with colitus, and much missing. You can't predict what will happen, and the last time WAS from the shot. My body chemistry is different and organs are missing so its unknown just how it goes, except its not predictable. The doctor I had then was genuinely surprised but said to be careful with the shots. Since then, I stay away. I'm really scared of that shot since I have this history of it really making me sick, maybe like the flu or maybe just it, but that doesn't matter. I live alone and my critters need me, and they are my security squad. I don't want to get sick, either, and I know the preventative shots go way past minor symptoms with me, as big a risk as not taking the vaccine. And I know that from experience, and don't believe 'doctor knows best' when he ignores real concerns.

Without getting over descriptive, I had a lot of surgery back when they didn't know I had an auto immune disease. The doctor tried so hard but missed the right diagnosis,and a severe case of colitus was let run free. The effected organs had to be removed, so now I am nowhere near 'normal'. Much damage was done, and much worsened by the post shot inspired flu. Any flu like sickness is bad, and the preventive shots I've tried made it worse. Staying away from sick people and NOT going out is my best bet. I don't have a doctor since the last one failed so badly in his job in part because he did NOT listen to the warnings I gave him my origional doctor said they must know. I don't trust them anymore.

I don't even want to go out and GET the shot, since others could be contagous.

As I lost my usual ride earlier last year, I've redone the way I do shopping and order it all online and delivered. So food's taken care of. Incidental home stuff, via Amazon, is too. Pet food comes on a set up order. I have no physical need to go out anywhere. Nor will I be bored. So I don't have to go out and be with possible sick people. Since that really bad experience, I trust that over taking a chance with someone's cough.

I would like to talk with a doctor, but not in person, just to get an idea of what to be wary of. I'd like to be believed in that I have a valid reason to be worried too. I can sit it out for some time if need be.

Any suggestions on information without lectures are welcome. I'm sure I'm not the only person who isn't a one shot fits everyone person.

If anyone knows of ANY pages which have info of symptoms and have used that method and not gotten sick. And before I did have some family here. Now they've moved or died. My dogs are the security crew, but someone has to be here to feed them and the cats.

So unless some other bad comes along, I'm staying home and away from the crowd.

Does anyone know of a place I can look up the actual symptoms of this malidy which doesn't just automatically say get a shot. I just got medicare set up and don't have a doctor yet. I need someone who understands the ways my inside works post all that surgery, for one thing, and that you can't stamp normal expectations on me.

Any places where questions can be asked and get realistic answers from them as I could still get a shot, but as the last time made me sick enough I might as well just caught it, I don't trust the pat answers.

PM's are welcome as well, if you can help.

Last edited by nightbird47; 01-28-2018 at 03:37 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 PM

If you want to go out wear a surgical mask. You can order them online so you donít have to go out to buy them. I am wearing one every time I go outside my apartment within the building.

Do you live near a Clinic where you might be able to do a video conference with a doctor? The Cleveland Clinic has that here. Others might as well. If you are on Medicare, they also have a setup where youn can talk to an NP who might be able to set you up via phone or computer with a doctor.

When I had to go to the hospital a couple of years ago I didnít know anyone in town so I had to call a pet sitter service. These are not cheap but they took good care of my cat. Now my neighbor takes care of her.

I have been reading both Consumer Reports and AARP magazines. They have fantastic suggestions as to how to prevent getting the flu and what to do if you get it. You can either go buy the magazines or subscribe online so you donít have to go out. All the info and advice they gave me at the hospital is in those and more. Iím sure thatís true of other Internet info as well.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement