Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 03:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think a good tip for the flu or anything that risks dehydration is to supplement water with pedialyte. Alternatively gatorade. One thing I heard that can happen with dehydration is that when your electrolytes get out of whack it can affect your heart and that is sometimes what causes the flu to be serious.
Yeah I guess was passed the just water thing. The fever really hits fast. I don’t usually drink anything but water or tea so no Gatorade or pedialyte. Might just keep something like that on hand from now on. Good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Electrolyte idea is a good one. I always have all the ingredients in the house, including a canister of the Himalayan salt. Lemon juice/citrus, honey, salt, water.

https://dontmesswithmama.com/homemad...trolyte-drink/

DIY Electrolyte Drink :: Natural rehydration for colds, flu, food poisoning, & physical exertion - Raising Generation Nourished

Bragg's natural cider vinegar, also a staple in my cupboard, another way to replenish electrolytes.

7 Natural Ways to Replenish Electrolytes Post Workout | Raw Girl in a Toxic World

Second thing I head for after the Sambucus when I feel something coming on is the Bragg's. Mix it with water, or put it in green tea w/honey or maple syrup.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Since I live alone I've gotten a little worried about all I've been reading about the flu. What is it exactly that people are dying of? High temps? Or lung congestion? If it's high temps, I've been wondering if it helps to reduce fever by cooling down the body by going outside in the snow, or by using ice packs?

I have read that the flu is turning into untreated pneumonia and after a relatively quick time of severe untreated pneumonia the organs start to fail leading to sepsis -- attacking all the organs. I believe the vast majority of children and elderly who have died actually died of sepsis. They say if you have ANY difficulty breathing with this flu you should get to the hospital -- IV antibiotics are what will save you. Another child just died in VA from the flu. Absolutely tragic.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
I have read that the flu is turning into untreated pneumonia and after a relatively quick time of severe untreated pneumonia the organs start to fail leading to sepsis -- attacking all the organs. I believe the vast majority of children and elderly who have died actually died of sepsis. They say if you have ANY difficulty breathing with this flu you should get to the hospital -- IV antibiotics are what will save you. Another child just died in VA from the flu. Absolutely tragic.
That is definitely a school of though. On my floor of the hospital, every room was taken up with a flu patient in various stages. Every doctor, nurse, technician even housekeeping had theories.

In my case, the minute I walked into Urgent Care there was no doubt I would be going into the hospital because of my lung condition. For me a cold can and has turned into pneumonia pretty much similar to reasons you have described not sepsis but complications arising from a pre-existing condition.

The culprit is an immune system that is constantly overworking itself. I was told I am more prone to catch the bug by breathing it in than by touching contaminated surfaces which is the way most people catch it. So normal precautions like vigilant hand washing won’t always help people in my situation.

This leaves lots of variables. What it all boils down to is that if someone feels sick, don’t hesitate, go to the nearest medical facility ASAP. They may just send you home with drugs or advice or you may need more. This crazy bug is so unpredictable it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
My MIL passed away this week from pneumonia, which started out as her usual, annual bout of bronchitis. Because she was 90 and had little strength, she didn't have the strength to clear her lungs. She was also dehydrated and that causes the mucous to become very sticky and even more difficult to cough up. That's the reason they always tell you to drink plenty of fluids when you have a respiratory virus. You need the hydration to thin the mucous so you can expel it.

Flu is a virus, so anti-biotics don't cure it, but the pneumonia can be bacterial, so they use antibiotics for the pneumonia. Unfortunately it can reoccur if you are still not able to clear the lungs. Drink lots of fluids and try to stay mobile. Moving about encourages your lungs to work harder to move the congestion out. Stay warm, but don't just lie there in bed. Get up and walk about the house as much as you can to encourage your lungs to clear.

As far as the shot, I always get it. I feel if it's only partially effective, any thing that reduces my chances of getting it is a good thing. I have had the flu exactly once in my life, 40 years ago. I have an auto-immune disorder so my immune system sometimes goes into over-drive for some things, but not shots. Maybe having an over-driven immune system helps kill the flu virus. I believe in immunizations, but I also know that one size does not fit all. My DH cannot have any vaccine containing a live virus, but killed viruses are okay. So people are different, but for most people the vaccine is a good thing. After this year's epidemic, I hope everyone who can tolerate them will get the shots in the future.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:22 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
For those of you who have had the flu.....did you know it was the flu right from the start, or did you think it was a cold...

Old 01-31-2018, 01:59 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
To all: Please bear in mind (esp. since this is the Retirement forum) that we have some startling evidence that the week after being diagnosed with the flu, the risk of a heart attack is greater. Esp. if you are over 65 and have other risk factors for heart disease. The theory is that the inflammatory response to the flu is a major culprit. Please do not ignore any chest pain, jaw pain, arm pain, back pain, sweating, nausea, etc. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...art-attack-too

Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
For those of you who have had the flu.....did you know it was the flu right from the start, or did you think it was a cold...
I suspected flu because I had a fever which I never get with a cold. I was right.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I've felt awful this week. I get a bout with bronchitis about every year, but now, it's not that. I don't know if I picked up a mild flu or what (had a flu shot), but I've been weak, sleeping terribly, and had about every symptom you can imagine. Nose runs, then stops up. Achy, then feel fine. Ears are hurting today. I went for a walk at lunch and felt fine, but I'm now completely out of energy. Other than the bronchitis, I almost never get weak like this. According to my Apple Watch, I slept eight hours last night, but had absolutely no deep sleep.

Guess it's another 9:30 bedtime for me.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
To all: Please bear in mind (esp. since this is the Retirement forum) that we have some startling evidence that the week after being diagnosed with the flu, the risk of a heart attack is greater. Esp. if you are over 65 and have other risk factors for heart disease. The theory is that the inflammatory response to the flu is a major culprit. Please do not ignore any chest pain, jaw pain, arm pain, back pain, sweating, nausea, etc. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...art-attack-too
Yup. Got an appointment with a cardiologist on Friday. This miserable flu just keeps on giving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement