Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:22 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

In warm and balmy Houston, cockroaches (the large flying ones) are an occasional given in your home, along with various infestations of ants, beetles, termites and the random salamander. In the yard, youlll need to keep up with fire ants and mosquitos. Moved back north upon retirement 7 years ago and left all the critters behind.

Even worse than the bugs, however, is the incessant heat and humidity. If you haven’t spent a summer in the south, vacation there for a few weeks in August before taking the plunge. I say this especially because your username in “loveautmn.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 09:00 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,239,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
With all the research I’ve done on relocation places, I really didn’t consider bugs, insects, pests, etc. to be much of a factor but now I’m realizing it could be for me, especially since most of the places I’ve seriously considered are in the south. Any of you that have moved in retirement, did you take into consideration the battle with bugs you would be facing, or was it not really a big deal? Or Was it worse than you thought it would be?
I didn’t consider it when moving from CA to NH, though I should have . Bugs everywhere....the only season you won’t get eaten alive is winter. And the Lyme threat. The only way I’d live in New England now is in the middle of Boston.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I agree about New England. When I visited western Massachusetts one summer I was eaten up by the mozzies, and it was very humid. I live happily bug free in eastern TN, except for those crazy invading stinkbugs and Asian ladybugs every autumn. Honestly there is some kind of critter wherever you go. If they don't bite or sting, I'm happy.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 AM

8,922 posts, read 4,632,086 times
One of the reasons (a small one) that I am moving from Central Texas to the Ozarks is to get away from the Brazilian Fire Ant. (Where I am going is the very northern fringe of where they are found, and I would move another 100 miles north, except for family politics)

It takes about 15 days of temperatures never going above 55F to impact their population. After that point, they starve, en-mass. We had just that amount here in Central Texas this year (almost a record cold spell) and, while it didn't kill them off, I can see a massive drop in their activity around here.

The Brazilian Fire Ant adapted to colder temperatures by digging deeper, but they can't seem to get past that food storage problem, so they shouldn't be able to move further north than the Arkansas Missouri border.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:22 AM

8,922 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I agree about New England. When I visited western Massachusetts one summer I was eaten up by the mozzies, and it was very humid. I live happily bug free in eastern TN, except for those crazy invading stinkbugs and Asian ladybugs every autumn. Honestly there is some kind of critter wherever you go. If they don't bite or sting, I'm happy.
The Asian ladybugs are actually a good thing
(although I can see having too much of a good thing)
They eat other bugs!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:15 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Every place has its share of bugs. In Florida, the most bothersome are perhaps the 'love bugs' which swarm in May/June and leave their little bodies all over the car bumper and windshield.

We've been in Florida for 45-years and frankly, while all the other nuisance bugs, alligators, mosquitoes, snakes, sharks, lizards exist, they are no more of a problem than anywhere else. (except, perhaps Alaska, which instead has a lot of moose, caribou, bears and flies).
That's more of a central and north Florida issue. I don't think that I've ever seen a love bug swarm in Miami. Definitely not in Miami Beach. Not saying they don't exist down here, just that I've never encountered them and that they definitely are not the issue that they are further north. I hate driving into or through central Florida during love bug season.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:17 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Been in SoFla going on eight yrs now.
Was prepared for bugs as a trade off for no winter. So far:
1. Got FOUR German roaches in my house the ENTIRE time! Used bug-no.. problem solved.

2. Occassional mini-ants are rarely seen and of no consequence really. See 1 above.

3. Spotted a 4" ground 'snake' once.. thought it was a weird worm ..and squashed it.

4. Mosquitos?? I don't experience a lot of mosquitos.. this is the greatest surprise of all.
A couple each year, but WAY, WAY fewer than on LI in summer.

5. Actually had swarms of love bugs one year a while back for two week 'season'. Yeah, that sucked, but it hasn't happened since. No idea why.

6. I'll see a big frog, poisonous to pets, a rabbit or two, and that's about it for big game.

Whocuddanode?
So I love it here, but I am mediterranean blooded, heat doesn't bother me, and summer humidity is quite tolerable.

YMMV

PS.. the geckos don't count as pests.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:24 AM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I've been here, Sierra Vista, AZ area since September & haven't seen many bugs at all. There have been a few wasps outside but not in. They do spray here but still a pleasant surprise.

Ticks are bad in any country area in Minnesota, my sister had Lyme disease a couple years back & was super sick for a month or so. And the mosquitoes. Just horrible! So, so glad I haven't seen any here.

When visiting a friend in a Dallas suburb years ago, there were cockroaches everywhere. I bug bombed my car before removing anything when I got back home. I hate bugs!

Old 01-27-2018, 11:40 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We moved to coastal GA and had an adjustment period to the change in bugs. Everyplace has its own bugs, so that would never be a factor for me.
In Ohio, we had mice, Japanese beetles, lady bug infestations, stink bugs, and mosquitos.
Here, we have palmetto bugs, fire ants, gnats and mosquitoes. We get the perimeter of the house sprayed bi monthly, and we treat the lawn for fire ants. No big deal.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:08 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
For me, Houston and Minnesota were the most buggy places I ever lived. Las Vegas, where I live now, has the fewest bugs I ever experienced. No fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes. I see ants now and then but that's all other than houseflies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement