U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 10:36 AM

6,624 posts, read 3,690,289 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Missouri we had bugs of every kind. I had a dozen ticks a year, sometimes all at once. Mosquitos were bad. My experience here in the high desert of New Mexico (5500 ft) is that I will occasionally have ants in the house. I don't think I've had a mosquito bite in four years. I spray each year and that takes care of most things indoors. When the ants come in I usually have to spray again. I've found a couple dead scorpions and (nasty) centipedes in the house but none are alive. I have a large acre+ lot with only one close neighbor so it is pretty wild. I have a few dozen quail each year. Roadrunners will eat lizards and snakes. Lizards eat bugs. My resident snake is a coach whip snake that I'll see on rare occasions...no rattlers. My most damaging pests are rabbits or small desert rodents. They will eat my flowers and also the wiring on my truck if I leave it outside for a week or two. Something large is browsing on my Lilac bush about 4-5 feet off the ground...I've never seen what it is. I have a couple jackrabbits that show up on rare occasions. A pack rat is living in the rocks around an artificial waterfall. Coyotes come and sing at night on my driveway. Hawks and owls will prey on songbirds at my bird feeder. Three noisy crows follow me around when I'm working outside. I have a 1500 gallon goldfish pond that is like a watering hole in the Kalahari Desert and it attracts wildlife....no hippos or crocs yet but i had to chase away a raccoon. Doves are there at the pond at dusk every day. Every time I go out the door something is running or flying away. I feel like Beatrix Potter and have named a few of the visitors. I'm living in their world so I expect to see them but they can't come in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 AM

11,171 posts, read 8,570,826 times
Uhhh...has anyone actually seen one of these flying cockroaches? And you didn't immediately abandon the house? Lol

Old 02-06-2018, 12:59 PM

1,838 posts, read 794,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
With all the research Iíve done on relocation places, I really didnít consider bugs, insects, pests, etc. to be much of a factor but now Iím realizing it could be for me, especially since most of the places Iíve seriously considered are in the south. Any of you that have moved in retirement, did you take into consideration the battle with bugs you would be facing, or was it not really a big deal? Or Was it worse than you thought it would be?
No bugs aren't an issue. You spray for them if you get them and if you go out in the evenings walking or anything you put on bug repellant. No big deal. I currently live in Florida, spent 25 years in South Carolina and grew up in Massachusetts. So no, bugs aren't an issue.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Notwithstanding the fact that insects are going to win this war, the last time we visited FL, it was like a house of horrors with the bugs. And people who say they don't have to spray regularly are lying.
I live in Florida and we sprayed once in 1 1/2 years. I had more bugs in South Carolina in the house at certain times of the year. Now fire ants are a PITA and mosquitos bother me no matter where I am in the world but other than that, no bugs are not a big deal. You see one, you kill him. You see more than a few you either spray yourself or call the bug service. The geckos I do try and keep out of my house and they are in my lanai no matter what I do but they don't bother you. Any hints on what to do with feral cats? Now those are a problem.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Uhhh...has anyone actually seen one of these flying cockroaches? And you didn't immediately abandon the house? Lol
Woose They were outside at night a lot in South Carolina, rarely in the house though one went behind the fridge I never found again. More of an issue with stink bugs coming down the chimney in the spring and also ladybugs. The invasion of the honey bees in Massachusetts in the wall of my house, now that had me running.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,670 posts, read 40,039,994 times
PNW and AK are pretty 'bug- snake -free' (and Income tax free too, in WA and AK; sales tax free in OR (if you are still 'accumulating'!!)

Our TX Hill Country location gets a bad score for bugs... scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, fire ants, and mosquitoes torment the DS. Chiggers get me (even recently AFTER freezes) I had 44 infested bites on just one hand (removing "Spanish Moss' from trees). They got in under the cuff of glove and apparently none too happy bout that. Walking in the field yields a similar around the sock line. Swollen and oozing for 3-4 weeks.

Fun.

Kinda like the Sand Flies in NZ... can really sour an otherwise great time.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:11 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,461,420 times
Bugs would be one of the last things I would consider as a factor in relocating.

Air pollution would be a strong factor. Something which does not seem to be a concern for many others. Even though heavy air pollution causes heart attacks, strokes, lung diseases, cancer, asthma, poor health. For example, those interested in Phoenix, Arizona, named one of the most polluted cities in the U.S. due to air pollution.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-06-2018 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 11:02 PM

6,547 posts, read 3,105,193 times
Bugs aren't something I would consider regarding where I live.

Pest control is relatively cheap.

I don't like it sprayed inside my house, but its no big deal to get them to spray only outside around windows and doors as well as porches/garages.

Any bug that makes it inside, I usually find belly up dying. I'm ok with that.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:25 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,610,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I agree, and it's good to be cautious. We lived at a lower elevation, ~6000 feet, on the road to Estes Park. When I would go down to clear the brush and thistles on my property once a year, I would inevitably find dog and wood ticks crawling up my legs after the ordeal. I was surprised because the brush wasn't that high and seemed dead. But the thing was there were lots of mule deer around.

Anywhere there is lunch...there will be diners.
It's a deal breaker for me! I've been investigating the mountainous areas of Virginia - and apparently they have BOTH Black Widow AND Brown Recluse. As a dog owner, I'd be terrified, as they are both very curious with their Noses - always investigating.

That said, I live in SE PA, and PA is or was No 1 for Lymme's, which I've had twice (second time almost killed me). But at least my canine kids are safe with their vaccines

MichiganGreg, I've been to Estees Park - LOVED IT!

Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 AM

653 posts, read 338,686 times
We have lived in bug infested, Alligator roaming Florida for 10 years. Seriously though, we only ever get the odd palmetto bug in the house, usually they are flailing around upside down on deaths door, you pick him/her up and flush it down the toilet. In Spring the odd wasp or bee finds it's way in, but again, you catch them in a dust buster and chuck them back outside, (I do not like to kill bees). If it rains hard you get the odd ant that comes in through the drainage gaps in the windows, but rarely. Lots of Geckos outside help with the bugs. We rarely get any bugs in our pool area. On some days we do get a few of No-see-ums, they are more annoying the Mozzies. But having lived in the Caribbean for a few years, it is not unbearable like it is there. Like anything else, you take precautions when necessary. One thing that I noticed here vs other places that I have lived is NO HOUSE FLIES. We had a lot in SoCAL and Canada. There are none in the house here. We have not had any in 10 years.

Bugs was not even a consideration when we decided to move here.

Now I have heard that people in trailers and MFG. housing can have a worse problem, but I bet it is because their owners are less than sanitary. Moral: Be clean and buy a real house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or