Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
And...bugs are everywhere, including the desert, unless you live in a heavily urbanized area.

Just a few of the bugs that exist in dry regions: yellowjackets, paper wasps, chinch beetles, dung beetles, several kinds of biting flies, kissing bugs, cedar gnats, moths, ticks, locusts, grasshoppers...
Bugs are a necessary part of the ecosystem. Without them locally, things would be a mess, without them globally, all life would die off.

The question is, which kind of bugs do you want to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Bugs are a necessary part of the ecosystem. Without them locally, things would be a mess, without them globally, all life would die off.

The question is, which kind of bugs do you want to avoid?
Ugly biting ones

Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Exactly!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:22 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,409 times
It has been really nice not dealing with mosquitos, roaches, scorpions, and snakes since we moved to Colorado. Back in TX, we gave up going outside in the summer as the mosquitos and heat were relentless. IMO there is a downside to fewer insects though - fewer birds

Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I am told that where I'm moving to in Colorado, at 7,000 feet, the dogs will not need flea/tick preventative. They will need Heartguard, but not because of heart worms- I'm told there is some sort of tapeworm kind of thing that Heartguard will also prevent.

Just not buying flea/tick med year 'round for multiple dogs is a big savings.

I currently live 50' from a wetland area. In my former cottage on the same spot, I had clouds of mosquitos in the summer. In my new house on the same spot, I have almost none. I think there must have been some sort of wet areas under the cottage or something.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:16 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am told that where I'm moving to in Colorado, at 7,000 feet, the dogs will not need flea/tick preventative. They will need Heartguard, but not because of heart worms- I'm told there is some sort of tapeworm kind of thing that Heartguard will also prevent.

Just not buying flea/tick med year 'round for multiple dogs is a big savings.

I currently live 50' from a wetland area. In my former cottage on the same spot, I had clouds of mosquitos in the summer. In my new house on the same spot, I have almost none. I think there must have been some sort of wet areas under the cottage or something.

When we lived at 7300’+ elevation, also in CO, our vet said DO use flea and tick prevention. I have had a tick drop off a tree onto my arm at even higher elevation, in RMNP. A coworker had warned me about ticks in trees, and it was NOT a myth!

Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 PM

749 posts, read 852,769 times
We didn't really consider it though we'd heard horrible stories of the usual biting, stinging, infestations, molds and other nasty stuff. Luckily we live in the super dry area of the island so no mosquitos, gnats, black flies or the like but we do see an occasional scorpion, centipede, cockroach and a few small (but not biting) ants.

No snakes in Hawaii so that's nice but the 'little fire ant' is starting to be a problem in some parts of the state and the screaming coqui frogs too but not in our area yet.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
When we lived at 7300’+ elevation, also in CO, our vet said DO use flea and tick prevention. I have had a tick drop off a tree onto my arm at even higher elevation, in RMNP. A coworker had warned me about ticks in trees, and it was NOT a myth!
There won't be many trees around but I don't want to take any chances. My new vet is right down the street and I'll ask her again when I arrive.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:46 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,545 times
Quote:
I agree, and it's good to be cautious. We lived at a lower elevation, ~6000 feet, on the road to Estes Park. When I would go down to clear the brush and thistles on my property once a year, I would inevitably find dog and wood ticks crawling up my legs after the ordeal. I was surprised because the brush wasn't that high and seemed dead. But the thing was there were lots of mule deer around.

Anywhere there is lunch...there will be diners.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I agree, and it's good to be cautious. We lived at a lower elevation, ~6000 feet, on the road to Estes Park. When I would go down to clear the brush and thistles on my property once a year, I would inevitably find dog and wood ticks crawling up my legs after the ordeal. I was surprised because the brush wasn't that high and seemed dead. But the thing was there were lots of mule deer around.

Anywhere there is lunch...there will be diners.
Yes, mule deer carry ticks, and so do rodents, rabbits and hares, stray dogs, wild canids.

Rattlesnakes are also common in dry, rocky, hilly areas. Dogs nosing around off trail sometimes get bitten by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement