U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:11 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times

Advertisements

With all the research Iíve done on relocation places, I really didnít consider bugs, insects, pests, etc. to be much of a factor but now Iím realizing it could be for me, especially since most of the places Iíve seriously considered are in the south. Any of you that have moved in retirement, did you take into consideration the battle with bugs you would be facing, or was it not really a big deal? Or Was it worse than you thought it would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 04:34 AM

1,137 posts, read 570,383 times
Yes. Mosquitoes and black flies in particular, I can tolerate anything else. At least we escaped the mosquitoes.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,956,944 times
I grew up in Phoenix. Local bugs and critters included cockroaches, snakes, frogs, mosquitos, tree rats and scorpions. But we had screens and we occasionally sprayed for bugs so it wasn't a big deal.

In the South, you'll likely encounter fire ants and now, killer bees. If you consider Florida, add alligators and palmetto bugs. If in Texas, add termites. What's not to like?

Here in Colorado, we have far fewer bugs. In summer we have to keep the yellow jackets out but we have very few or no mosquitos and just a few occasional garter snakes. I haven't heard of killer bees yet, perhaps the 6700 ft altitude and cold winters keeps them at bay.

Although you should know about the critters, most people have adapted and erected barriers to keep them away.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:44 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,910,433 times
We came here to Charleston SC 8 years ago and even though I prepared myself for the onslaught, it is much worse than I feared. I worried most about the huge palmettos but to be honest those are not the biggest problem. The gnats, mosquitos and fire ants are the worst! What good does the good weather do for you when you can't enjoy being outside? Headed back to the north country later this year.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:54 AM

5,785 posts, read 4,838,667 times
I moved from northern California to eastern Tennessee and one of the reasons we avoided the deep, deep south was the bugs, and the humidity of course. We actually have FEWER mosquitos where I live now than in NorCal. Mosquitos can be a very local thing. Mosquitos rarely travel more than 1/4 mile from where they hatched, so if you don't have standing water in your area, you can be very mozzie-free. We live near a lake and still have very few. I only wear spray when I'm going hiking in the woods or sitting out at a festival on a lawn all evening or something like that. We do get ticks, but they are pretty much anywhere that there are woods. We haven't seen any fire ants. We pay for a termite protection service, but it's not much and we had termites in CA too. We had to have a CA property treated and it cost a fortune. Bugs are not a big problem, and not worth changing our retirement location for. But it is one of the reasons we rejected Florida.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 AM

414 posts, read 263,032 times
If we decide to move after hubby retires, we want to live where we can spend a lot of time outdoors running and hiking without freezing or slipping and sliding. We looked into relocating to North or South Carolina; however, ruled that area out, in part due to the insects. Mosquitos and gnats eat me alive in New England already, and they're much worse down there. I don't like wearing bug repellent and want to be able to enjoy the outdoors.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:24 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
I saw far less bugs in FL than I did on Cape Cod. Snakes, however...

Old 01-27-2018, 07:52 AM

5,785 posts, read 4,838,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
If we decide to move after hubby retires, we want to live where we can spend a lot of time outdoors running and hiking without freezing or slipping and sliding. We looked into relocating to North or South Carolina; however, ruled that area out, in part due to the insects. Mosquitos and gnats eat me alive in New England already, and they're much worse down there. I don't like wearing bug repellent and want to be able to enjoy the outdoors.
Almost anywhere you go, with the exception of the desert, you will find ticks and mozzies to some degree. And in the desert you get scorpions and snakes, so it's going to be something wherever you go. I hiked in North Carolina woods in the mountains near Lake Lure and we didn't have any spray with us. I didn't get a single bite. In fact I never even had to wave any skeeters off. I remember commenting at the time on the fact that in CA I would be getting eaten alive if I forgot my spray. People (who'd actually never been to the south, LOL) had tried to tell us stories about how bad the bugs were in the south. Like I said, it can be very localized, and can be dependent on the recent weather, etc. It's on the list of things to consider, but I wouldn't put it at the top of the list, or make it the single deciding factor. Rely on your own experiences, not tall tales or stereotypes.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:09 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
Every place has its share of bugs. In Florida, the most bothersome are perhaps the 'love bugs' which swarm in May/June and leave their little bodies all over the car bumper and windshield.

We've been in Florida for 45-years and frankly, while all the other nuisance bugs, alligators, mosquitoes, snakes, sharks, lizards exist, they are no more of a problem than anywhere else. (except, perhaps Alaska, which instead has a lot of moose, caribou, bears and flies).

Old 01-27-2018, 08:15 AM

1,101 posts, read 819,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattig View Post
We came here to Charleston SC 8 years ago and even though I prepared myself for the onslaught, it is much worse than I feared. I worried most about the huge palmettos but to be honest those are not the biggest problem. The gnats, mosquitos and fire ants are the worst! What good does the good weather do for you when you can't enjoy being outside? Headed back to the north country later this year.
Thanks for the honesty Pattig. Not the first time I have heard this about Charleston.

I just want to add. I live in southern most NJ. No real problems where I live. But I had a friend who had a cottage very near the Delaware Bay. The "no see" gnats are crazy bad. The greenhead flies, they would eat me alive. People even put out big traps for them. And the strawberry flies, monster intense. This is not all year but it was bad enough. So from my experience just 15 miles made a huge difference. Of course your results may vary..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or