Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times

Advertisements

Congratulations! 9 years to go for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
After an intense week of totally unexpected heartfelt goodbyes and well wishes and food and gifts and and... I am retired. Forty-nine years of working and no more. It's surreal and most welcome.

I didn't realize what a fixture I've been all over my hospital, working on different units every night for so many years and so many nights. The outpouring of well wishes and everything has really bowled me over. I think I'm the first "floater" to work so many years (usually people float briefly and then quit or go to one unit) and I've gotten to know so many people because of this. One coworker told me tonight that I already look ten years younger- it must be anticipatory relaxation. One night of real sleep gets rid of that night shift pallor that we all have.

I drove down the hill for the last time after turning in my keys and badge, following pizza and brownies from a coworker and an offer from the supervisor to go home early if I wanted to because I'd had enough good byes. It seemed fitting not to see the chattering day shift dashing in, but to leave in the quiet night. To those who say they are envious, I point out that "all you have to do is keep coming to work and get old, like me," (if they are people in the pension plan) and for those younger ones, especially the underpaid ancillary staff, I just thank them for their work and hear their dreams for better work or "if I didn't have to work, I'd join___/do____." I hear everyone's daydreams when I explain how I'm moving to Colorado. I think people are more intrigued by that move than interested in the retirement!

I have never felt so well regarded in my life. I certainly didn't expect most of this. People say they want to get together before I leave for Colorado in April, and I say, "You're the one with the schedule. Let me know when, because I don't have to be anywhere or do anything for the next two to three months!" Not that I had much requirements, with my solitary life with dogs, but working nights took everything out of me.Work feed dogs, veg. That's about it and it gets harder as you get older, as we've all noticed.

I'm retired! It's finally over!
Congratulations! I have nine weeks to go. I am busy getting my house ready to put on the market in April. I will be moving from Georgia to a house I have already bought in TN. I am so beyond ready for the next stage of life. I expect it to be a strange feeling, but I think I will be able to get used to it.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Congratulations! I have nine weeks to go... I expect it to be a strange feeling, but I think I will be able to get used to it.
It's strange GOOD. I am still marveling. It's only been a few hours though!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:45 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Congrats to you and I envy your move to paradise. Now enjoy life!

Old 01-28-2018, 07:48 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Congratulation and enjoy your retirement. !

Old 01-28-2018, 08:02 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
Best wishes

Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Yay you!!!

Love the feeling!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I think no matter how much people complain about their work place, and say they can't wait to retire, the actual moment it happens always has a bitter sweet element to it.

Woo Hoo to YOU! Congratulations and best wishes!

Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Yea !!!!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Yippee! Now just enjoy as the little moments of delicious freedom unfold! Congratulations and best wishes for a happy new life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement