U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:43 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times

Advertisements

congrats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:15 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,856,239 times
Congratulations! Now go enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Thanks so much for every response!
Right now, it feels like I just had a night off. Sleep 24 hours, dishes not washed, house in downsizing mild disarray. The advice to start a hobby soon is not necessary, remember, I'm moving 2200 miles to a smaller house in a tiny community in April. I have stuff to donate. My kind realtor has said whatever is left here will just go in a dumpster when the contractor comes in to update cosmetics, so all I have to do is get a date for me and the dogs to go on the highway.

I did notify the therapeutic horseback riding program that I will again be available for horse leading (and a refresher class) when their next session starts. It's something I can always learn from and will be doing in Colorado. I also am getting a three-month membership to the health club pool to try and swim off some of the stress and all of the past many years of stressful work and night shifts.

Other than that, I plan to meet individual coworkers *on their schedules* to say hello, hit some restaurants. An old friend from high school has retired to Vermont and will be coming to visit here in Mass (also no schedule!). I do very well with no plans. My days have always been unplanned because of the effort to sleep or to be sleeping, so no TV habit. I only get dressed if I must keep an appointment. I might make an effort to get up every day and get dressed, to get into a good habit instead of hanging around in PJs all day. I certainly can't claim I'll save money on work clothes in retirement!

I'm really glad I have this time before moving to detox from shift work and to segue into moving after retiring. Everything a day at a time. Today I think I'll get dressed and go buy my shaved dog a couple of sweaters. He's very cold (but had to be shaved under sedation because the groomer fired him for biting). One supervisor gave me a Petco gift card. I am gathering my cards and gift cards and all and will keep them for warm memories (after handwriting thank you notes- how old school!)

Old 01-29-2018, 08:30 AM

In answer to one poster, I will be taking my four dogs with me. (Two are 13- one stable with cancer- one about ten, and a deaf cattle dog of six). My new town has a new limit of four dogs per household, and I'll be in town, so... I have had more than four seniors at a time, but four seems to be an ideal number for me, no head counts or leaving anyone outside by accident. If I saw a "must have" situation, I'd take another dog. It does look like my dog with cancer will be going- she is eating and stable on pain meds twice a day, looks fine. I have lined up my new vet in the new town near my house.

I am just waiting for the dog transport gal to tell me what day she will be coming here (from GA to MA) and she will drive two dogs and I will drive the other two. Everything is based on her date for coming here-movers, etc. This would all be a lot simpler if I didn't have dogs! But then my house would not be such a home.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM

4,794 posts, read 1,980,636 times
Keep busy.
Set aside time every day for exercise.
Make plans for travel. The plans are half the fun.

You are still productive. You are only ratcheting back.
Grow tomatoes in the Summer. Gardening is exercise and relaxing.
Buy a kayak and use it.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 AM

30,672 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Congratulations

Now begins the next adventure

Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 PM

1,240 posts, read 586,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In answer to one poster, I will be taking my four dogs with me. (Two are 13- one stable with cancer- one about ten, and a deaf cattle dog of six). My new town has a new limit of four dogs per household, and I'll be in town, so... I have had more than four seniors at a time, but four seems to be an ideal number for me, no head counts or leaving anyone outside by accident. If I saw a "must have" situation, I'd take another dog. It does look like my dog with cancer will be going- she is eating and stable on pain meds twice a day, looks fine. I have lined up my new vet in the new town near my house.

I am just waiting for the dog transport gal to tell me what day she will be coming here (from GA to MA) and she will drive two dogs and I will drive the other two. Everything is based on her date for coming here-movers, etc. This would all be a lot simpler if I didn't have dogs! But then my house would not be such a home.

I am keeping my 2 dogs in the loop with my countdown for retirement. I keep telling them, life is going to get better soon! We will be moving to a house near the lake and have already tried out some of the walking paths. I feel they have been somewhat cheated of a full life having me gone all day at work. I am particularly happy that my 9-year-old will have a more interesting life when I am able to enjoy more long walks and lazy afternoons with her while she is still in good health.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:03 PM

199 posts, read 112,184 times
Congrats on being able to buy your freedom from wage slavery. I would have skipped the pizza and brownies. When I leave, my co-workers won't even know about it in advance. I'll just stop showing up one day. They aren't people I care about.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM

I couldn't have slipped out if I wanted to (and it did occur to me- I didn't realize what a big deal my leaving would be to people). They posted my job when I put in a retirement date, three months prior. So anyone looking at the job postings would see my slot there. Also, since the hospital insisted on giving me a retirement celebration (which turned out very surprisingly moving to me), there were flyers on all the units announcing my retirement breakfast as a night shift gathering in the morning.

Anyway, as I've said, I was quite shocked and very touched by the outpouring of affection, although in a few cases I did wonder, why weren't you nicer all along?! I do look forward to maybe meeting a person or two for lunch or something before I move West.

I am marveling every moment about how I don't ever have to stay awake all night long again.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:25 PM
JRR

3,676 posts, read 2,223,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Congrats on being able to buy your freedom from wage slavery. I would have skipped the pizza and brownies. When I leave, my co-workers won't even know about it in advance. I'll just stop showing up one day. They aren't people I care about.
Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone has/had your type of relationship with their co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or