Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

My plan is to build a retirement home that can accommodate two people at the minimum. Each would have their own suite and share the common areas. A friend and I talk about this all the time. Something modern that will be wheelchair or walker friendly.

I don't mind living with others. I grew up in a large family. Lived in dorms in college and military. Lots of people around don't bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 08:08 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Back in the 1970s and 1980s, two of my aunts rented rooms to graduate students, and it worked out extremely well for all concerned.

One aunt had a series of young men from India and Pakistan, and became very involved in the Indian community in her university town - when one young man would graduate and leave, he would recommend another "respectable" student to take his place. They loved my aunt, who was in her late 70s and 80s during this time period, and treated her with great respect. Only one of her "roomers" turned out to be less than ideal, and he left without incident after a short stay. During my aunt's final illness , various members of the Indian community continued to visit her and provided a wealth of caring practical assistance.

My other aunt, living in another university city, rented a room to her son's best friend, a very good guy who was also in grad. school. He became the next thing to a son/ brother/nephew/cousin himself and is still a close family friend who attends our family gatherings.

With the right "roomers" - and the right landlords/landladies - and a clear understanding on everyones' part, this can work out beautifully.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Back in the 1970s and 1980s, two of my aunts rented rooms to graduate students, and it worked out extremely well for all concerned.

One aunt had a series of young men from India and Pakistan, and became very involved in the Indian community in her university town - when one young man would graduate and leave, he would recommend another "respectable" student to take his place. They loved my aunt, who was in her late 70s and 80s during this time period, and treated her with great respect. Only one of her "roomers" turned out to be less than ideal, and he left without incident after a short stay. During my aunt's final illness , various members of the Indian community continued to visit her and provided a wealth of caring practical assistance.

My other aunt, living in another university city, rented a room to her son's best friend, a very good guy who was also in grad. school. He became the next thing to a son/ brother/nephew/cousin himself and is still a close family friend who attends our family gatherings.

With the right "roomers" - and the right landlords/landladies - and a clear understanding on everyones' part, this can work out beautifully.
I had an elderly relative to this as well with dental school students (not of any specific ethnicity). But frankly, doing this in the 1970s and 1980s was less risky than it would be today. I like the concept but would be hesitant in this day and age.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) disclaimer - *Danish heritage... so communal living is common (And I plan to form a senior cottage community for 'aging in place' )
2) Always been rural / independent / NEVER had a roommate (not like I desire to be a 'groupie')

My places are rural + I travel 50+% of the time, so... very handy to have 'boarders' (Very carefully qualified, NEVER advertised) - not in the same 'house' tho sometimes we share laundry facilities and occasional meals together, We have 100% access to each other's space (as needed), yet has never been a problem for either party.
  • Covers my 'home' related expenses (Utilities and taxes)
  • Feed the pets (When I'm gone...often)
  • Feed livestock
  • Handle mail that is not on auto-pay
  • Keep an eye on rural stuff... well, septic, fences, blade snow if needed
  • Keeps an eye on the place (discourage meth-heads from hauling everything to scrap metal)
  • Deal with minor crisis (that often happen with rural living) Fires / car crashes / runaway livestock / dropped off pets / neighbors get injured or sick, someone needs a tow out of a ditch / tree falls in road and needs to be cut up and moved...just the usual stuff...)
  • Excellent opportunity for someone who likes to live in the country (not an apartment
  • Has enabled (4) to save to buy homes and pay off student debt
  • Enables me to have a 'free' place to live in the regions I have chosen. (Plan to add international locations for HC access). I keep a cheap car (<$100) at each of my locations and fly at will between them
  • outdoorsy and craftsman, so...Have a shop at each location for hobbies / repairs / farm equip.

Having become a 'caregiver' @ age 18 and needing to buy my parents a house... & having destitute siblings and potential boomerang kids + future caregiver needs...

I now keep additional and totally separate living qtrs at each of my home locations (Cabins / apartment above garage (Shop) / guest house / neighbor homes...) These rural Homes are pretty cheap...~$100k - $175k, so positive cash flows for equity invested. Deductible travel and meals between locations (offset rent income (cuz I also have additional investment pors at each location))

I actually think Marianne has the right idea... (for some... certainly not for all)
http://www.womenlivingincommunity.com/about/

USDA Rural Economic Development funded study indicated Seniors live 'independently' 10 yrs longer in 'community' than being a "lone-stranger" (individual apartment or home). YMMV

Stealth, Where do I signup?!?!?! Sounds ideal to me. I have been researching Co-Living options as a single woman, mid-50s with no family the idea sounds interesting to me. I know there are several opportunities in the SF Bay area, but honestly that area is cost prohibitive for me. Your post intrigues me to research further!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Not me, but a friend owned a home in San Jose and she rented out rooms to students and this extra income enabled her to do the travel she loves to do. Then she sold and moved to Tucson and does the same thing, and does the same amount and more of travel. She's like the energizer bunny with energy and her world travel.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:41 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I have twice rented my 600 sq ft guest cottage. NEVER again. There is the constant worry about how clean the renter is keeping it, visitors to my property/liability, and the effect on my personal life. (can't play music full blast all night by the fire pit, etc)

I also, would scale down and live in a small mobile home on a few acres, rather than ever rent again.

As far as someone IN my home ! OMG! I can't even imagine. There is no way.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:43 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Back in the '70s or '80s, my mom ran a program in Sacramento called "Seniors Allied in Living".
The idea was to match up seniors to share housing so they would have company and look out for each other, as well as saving money.

The program encountered a lot of programs. The biggest was when one senior owned the home--they wanted to make all the rules. The other senior generally didn't like this arrangement.

I believe the most successful pairing from the program was an old man with a young man in his 20s.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,301,695 times
Default Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Stealth, Where do I signup?!?!?! Sounds ideal to me. I have been researching Co-Living options as a single woman, mid-50s with no family the idea sounds interesting to me. I know there are several opportunities in the SF Bay area, but honestly that area is cost prohibitive for me. Your post intrigues me to research further!
I'm hoping that Stealth Rabbit will announce on CD when he is planning to create this cottage community (especially if it's in Washington state). I'd like to join. Plus his posts are always filled with lots of good information based on his direct experience. He's the type of guy I'd like to know personally if there were an opportunity to do so.

My plan B is to buy a mobile home in Washington state and live there. I have a brother in North Bend. I'm hoping to find a small piece of land, possibly near a lake or river, that is part of a larger rural or semi-rural community that has a few shared amenities.

I'm inclined to buy new, so that I can do all the structural and insulation upgrades I want in a new home, but I also know that mobile homes start to depreciate as soon as they leave the factory, so I'm expecting to look at the used bargains out there too, before I pull the trigger in about 2 to 3 years.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Ironically, some of the best examples I have seen are in Davis, CA so they are nearby. I was able to connect with them through the Davis Cooperative Center - California Center for Cooperative Development |
There are some in Seattle, Bremerton, and Olympia WA (Women living in Community). I'm sure there are plenty in 'The City', I will ask a Swedish gal were often stay with (She is a retired architect in SF, so has some exposure to the area and single gals)

Remember our great, but now deceased topic "women retiring alone"... There were mtns of resources embedded in that thread. (there was the gal that was able this in Sedona, AZ (on the CHEAP!!!) and the OP... being creative and able to affordably transition to another HOME in Santa Cruz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
My plan B is to buy a mobile home in Washington state and live there. I have a brother in North Bend. I'm hoping to find a small piece of land, possibly near a lake or river, that is part of a larger rural or semi-rural community that has a few shared amenities.

I'm inclined to buy new, so that I can do all the structural and insulation upgrades I want in a new home, but I also know that mobile homes start to depreciate as soon as they leave the factory, so I'm expecting to look at the used bargains out there too, before I pull the trigger in about 2 to 3 years.
Alternatives exist (today); in the PNW and across USA (NE USA centric org) https://rocusa.org/
here is one in my TX location; Rio Robles, 55+ Mobile Home and RV Park

We have been able to find New to near new ADA modular homes FS (~$20k to $40k) (Sometimes the 'grandma' passes away before she gets to move in ). Check with local MH centers for connections and watch the ads. These "accessory dwellings" (Added to a SFR property for 'Granny') MUST be removed after Granny goes... ~ $3k - $5k to have one moved to your site (depending on many details), I like to place these on slopes / or 'pit set' so the entry to the wide sliding door is same level as carport (for EZ rehab access)

I encourage discussion about this. It is not trivial, or ez to get along and find the right mix, but it is possible.

locations I am in discussion with include my TX, CO, WA small towns, + this week was approached by a group in Bellingham, WA (fine with me as well, since I really enjoy BC! and Ice Cream! ) https://www.edaleendairy.com/

Since I am a 'recreational builder' and interested in Net Zero energy use and passive solar... 'bungalow / unique / cute / well lighted' ... I would rather build my own cottages, (or let others help to build... (within the 'community' guidelines)) and I REALLY want a rural environment (with ponds, Windmills, gardens, and livestock, barns, shop and community building + RV sites for traveling friends) = Zoning nightmare... My Primary objective remains @ access for <$80k for a cottage and ownership share of community (common buildings and property) With a rental / subsistance option for those who an not able to buy / contribute. . Probably use a 'Market restricted' valuations as do ~ 80% of the co-ops I research (~3-5% annual equity valuation cap). It just helps keep the community affordable for taxation and future heirs / owners. Eventually the purpose is to be FREE / a few generations down the road...

I spend plenty of time examining failures of communities, so learn a bit more every day.

couple more examples for those who might be interested; (larger senior cooperative facilities)
http://7500york.com/
https://becketwood.com/

I also examined this village in TN +/-
http://www.uplandsvillage.com/

OT: Any Seniors here rent out rooms in their home/roommates for $$? How is it working out?
Yes, can work under certain conditions. (keep your own 'Space' / allow others their 'Space') and have some 'rules of consideration' and great communication (be open / free to discuss issues).

(3) of my SIL lived in homes of seniors during college (In San Diego, Seattle, and Honolulu)
I advocate it as an alternative to high rents, and a chance to 'help-each-other'... costs and errands (and remembering to water the plants and feed the cats!) and a great way to share the 'left-overs'.

I do feel "shared'" housing (financial and physical) in USA will become more like Europe.. since our property values are getting out of hand. I don't expect our 'wood' houses to survive as the Euro stone versions... 100's of yrs old.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-31-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
I'd rather drink poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement