Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
That is understandable but you really should have someone around for safety's sake. If you passed out due to heart attack, someone might not find you for days.
I work in a LTC/Rehab facility and I've met up with some pretty stubborn people that refuse to share their house with anyone, and suffer the consequences. And some have been pet owners, and? Once hospitalized, no one to tend to them, off to a shelter they go!

85YO woman falls in her backyard. This is Las Vegas where most backyards have 6 foot cinder block walls, and gravel landscaping. She yelled and yelled, no response. So, on her back, yes, she ever so slowly dragged her body around to the side of the house and to the front yard, where, finally, someone saw her before it got dark. No Life Alert!

Another woman fell in her trailer home and laid there for 2 days, she broke her hip, she couldn't edge her way to a phone, yelling would have been useless, and it was summer here in Las Vegas, she could have dehydrated!

Even myself, at 43, I had just moved to and bought a home in Phoenix. Knew no one there, initially. I was painting one afternoon, I looked down from the ladder, and said: You better get down from this ladder as it'd be just like you to hit your head on the fast spinning ceiling fan. And? I did exactly that, blood spurting out everywhere! Thank God it wasn't too severe, but I could have been knocked out, unconscious, and having not even met all the neighbors yet, I could have laid there for days!

After that, and being so far away from family, I decided right then and there I'd always have someone around the house, as accidents can happen.

Last edited by tijlover; 02-01-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:24 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
As rentals are scarce pretty much all over N. America there is a "movement" for seniors just starting, where four/five share a monster home. The problem is the cost is actually MORE money than living alone, and/or with less. And if one/two OWN the home they're in the power position. It has to be a good fit.

A good fit is tough as you age.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:39 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times
I think I would enjoy having a roommate[s]. I have never lived alone and actually enjoy having someone around to talk to. There are three of us living together now, Hubby and my brother. I could be open to a home-sharing situation.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:41 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
I think I would enjoy having a roommate[s]. I have never lived alone and actually enjoy having someone around to talk to. There are three of us living together now, Hubby and my brother. I could be open to a home-sharing situation.
can you post a picture of your brother

Old 02-01-2018, 02:16 PM

989 posts, read 769,172 times
We have a 500sqft Self contained Guest suite doing nothing. We use it on occasion for rellies but have another 2 bedrooms spare we could use. It does not have an outside entrance so I would be concerned about renting it. We are funny about strangers in the house. We could not guarantee a renter would be trustworthy enough for us. So it remains empty. It would probably fetch ~$750pm in our neighborhood.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
No roommates for me ever. It is hard enough sharing space with my hubby! lol! Seriously, I like my privacy. Can't imagine having to share space with anyone. Hated it when I was young, and would hate it even more now!!

Old 02-01-2018, 05:52 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
I own several rental homes, but have never bought a home for myself. I always imagined living in a beautiful big house, but being a single guy it didn't make sense financially.
I just bought a 5200 sq ft home and I specifically looked for one with a walk out basement that I could rent out to offset the higher costs of a big house.
My mortgage is 1850 which is about what I was paying in rent. The basement has a tenant paying $950. In the end I'm paying less than I was when I rented. The tenant has a separate entrance so I don't really see her.
Keep in mind I specifically found a house with a basement built as an apartment.
So far it's working out ok.
I figure if I ever want to downsize I could live in the basement apartment as it's 1200 sq feet and has a garage and rent out the house. The rent for the house would pretty much have me living for free.
Not sure about having roommates in the house though as I've always lived alone.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I own several rental homes, but have never bought a home for myself. I always imagined living in a beautiful big house, but being a single guy it didn't make sense financially.
I just bought a 5200 sq ft home and I specifically looked for one with a walk out basement that I could rent out to offset the higher costs of a big house.
My mortgage is 1850 which is about what I was paying in rent. The basement has a tenant paying $950. In the end I'm paying less than I was when I rented. The tenant has a separate entrance so I don't really see her.
Keep in mind I specifically found a house with a basement built as an apartment.
So far it's working out ok.
I figure if I ever want to downsize I could live in the basement apartment as it's 1200 sq feet and has a garage and rent out the house. The rent for the house would pretty much have me living for free.
Not sure about having roommates in the house though as I've always lived alone.
Why do you buy single family homes as rentals? I have some rentals: all apartments. It works well.

Interestingly, I too have a 5200 sq, ft. home which I share with my dog, my cat, and my five chickens. I'm planning to add some space to it.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
I’d like to rent out our two back bedrooms to two pretty coeds from the local college, but I doubt that my wife of 46 years would jump on that as a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement