U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 PM

167 posts, read 74,352 times

Advertisements

If so, how many roommates do you have? is it working out alright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:44 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,123,924 times
Roommates were fine when I was in college. I don't think I would care for that type of living arrangement in retirement.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
1) disclaimer - *Danish heritage... so communal living is common (And I plan to form a senior cottage community for 'aging in place' )
2) Always been rural / independent / NEVER had a roommate (not like I desire to be a 'groupie')

My places are rural + I travel 50+% of the time, so... very handy to have 'boarders' (Very carefully qualified, NEVER advertised) - not in the same 'house' tho sometimes we share laundry facilities and occasional meals together, We have 100% access to each other's space (as needed), yet has never been a problem for either party.
  • Covers my 'home' related expenses (Utilities and taxes)
  • Feed the pets (When I'm gone...often)
  • Feed livestock
  • Handle mail that is not on auto-pay
  • Keep an eye on rural stuff... well, septic, fences, blade snow if needed
  • Keeps an eye on the place (discourage meth-heads from hauling everything to scrap metal)
  • Deal with minor crisis (that often happen with rural living) Fires / car crashes / runaway livestock / dropped off pets / neighbors get injured or sick, someone needs a tow out of a ditch / tree falls in road and needs to be cut up and moved...just the usual stuff...)
  • Excellent opportunity for someone who likes to live in the country (not an apartment
  • Has enabled (4) to save to buy homes and pay off student debt
  • Enables me to have a 'free' place to live in the regions I have chosen. (Plan to add international locations for HC access). I keep a cheap car (<$100) at each of my locations and fly at will between them
  • outdoorsy and craftsman, so...Have a shop at each location for hobbies / repairs / farm equip.

Having become a 'caregiver' @ age 18 and needing to buy my parents a house... & having destitute siblings and potential boomerang kids + future caregiver needs...

I now keep additional and totally separate living qtrs at each of my home locations (Cabins / apartment above garage (Shop) / guest house / neighbor homes...) These rural Homes are pretty cheap...~$100k - $175k, so positive cash flows for equity invested. Deductible travel and meals between locations (offset rent income (cuz I also have additional investment pors at each location))

I actually think Marianne has the right idea... (for some... certainly not for all)
http://www.womenlivingincommunity.com/about/

USDA Rural Economic Development funded study indicated Seniors live 'independently' 10 yrs longer in 'community' than being a "lone-stranger" (individual apartment or home). YMMV

Old 01-31-2018, 04:23 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Yeah as someone who lived in group houses throughout my youth I couldn't even image a true roommate again. But if it was a separate living arrangement, apartment over garage or in basement with private entrance, I can see the advantages. Rent to pay the bills and someone to watch the house and maybe feed the cat when you are away, not to mention someone close when you get old and frail, would be a good thing.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:05 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
I don't think it's safe for any human being to live alone, young or old, as accidents can happen any time, and it keeps you from becoming too rigid/inflexible/selfish.

I'm 67, and I've been renting out to a Mexican handyman for 19 years now, I can't even call him a roommate anymore, as he's become family. He's been my Guardian Angel all these years. He doesn't speak English very well, which is also a plus, as I get opportunities every day to practice Spanish. Any time something goes "south" in my house, it's fixed ASAP, and never wanting a dime in pay. I keep the rent low just to keep him around ($250 a month), and if he runs into periods of not finding enough work, I wave the rent as I don't need the money.

I also made use of Astrology to screen him 19 years ago. We're so much alike we're like Siamese Twins.

Any time I travel, I take him with, as he's the easiest person in the world to travel with. Being I'm 1600 miles away from the nearest relative, I need someone around the house, particularly as I get older.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 AM

779 posts, read 518,213 times
My Wife and I own a two story detached home in central Toronto.

We live on the main floor. A basement apartment with a separate entrance, fully equipped, rents for $1000 a month. We have had a University PhD student as a tenant for 3 years. She paid her first year's rent in advance. Quiet as a church mouse, and clean . She is leaving in March to take up a teaching position in Turkey. She has introduced another PhD student to us, who will be moving in to the unit in April, with a two year lease.

The second floor is a two bedroom unit, with a separate entrance. The current tennants are 40 year old CBC radio network sound engineer. He has been here for 4 years. His room mate is a Porter Airlines co pilot who flies a Toronto to Miami route. Both are reliable and polite. The second floor rents for $1700 a month.

Both units have the use of the laundry room, the back yard with a gas grill and free wifi. The house has central air conditioning and gas heating.

The street is quiet, and it is a 5 minute walk to a main street with 24 hour TTC Street cars and buses to the subway.

The combined monthly rent covers all of the household costs,, property taxes, utility bills, insurance and we are able to put some money into our savings account. The house is paid for.

They are not room mates, but they are good people.

XXX.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:14 AM

4,830 posts, read 4,944,472 times
Although I have not rented out part of my house, I've thought about it.

I have a 3 story house that includes a lower level, above grade 1200 sq ft apartment with a bedroom, bathroom, bar/kitchen and living room that has a seperate exit to a patio. It is currently unoccupied.

I could easily rent it to a University student. I haven't taken action yet but it would be a nice additional income if I do it.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
National Shared Housing Resource Center
https://www.silvernest.com/share-house
Home Sharing - CoAbode Single Mothers Home Sharing | CoAbode
https://www.aarp.org/home-family/you...e-sharing.html
Senior Resource Shared Housing for Seniors

Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 AM

7,095 posts, read 3,456,394 times
Bought our current home in Mexico last year. It has a separate casita with separate entrance on the back of the property. We bought it in case we desire or need live-in help down the road.

We have been approached by many other expats to rent this casita....this is high season and we've been offered $750 a week (yes a week).

But we like our privacy, wouldn't feel comfortable using our pool (visible from casita and main house). We also like to have the casita for family and friends when they visit (and our guests like having their own space, too).

Old 01-31-2018, 07:58 AM

2,436 posts, read 1,059,176 times
I would rather live in a studio apt. by myself than have roommates in a larger house. I just value my privacy too much. I feel safe as long as I have a phone nearby.

The separate apts., guest houses, and casitas sound like a good compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or