Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times

Advertisements

We hardly get any mail, except for magazines and Christmas cards. Bills, banking and all local and national government correspondance is handled electronically. We can avoid any junk mail by electronic sign up with the Danish postal system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 03:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
It makes great fire starter.
Plus if you have enemies you can fill out the forms in their name and address and spam them.
I remember doing that as a prank in the college dorms. You'd sign someone up for 10 magazine subscriptions. The magazines and a flood of junk mail from the mailing lists that get sold would follow.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:35 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I remember doing that as a prank in the college dorms. You'd sign someone up for 10 magazine subscriptions. The magazines and a flood of junk mail from the mailing lists that get sold would follow.
It worked especially well when those poor misguided college kids would come around (in the 90's and for 10 years after) selling subscriptions at rock bottom prices, thinking they were going to win some prize. All they got was a lesson in how crooked some people can be.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:42 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
It makes great fire starter.
Plus if you have enemies you can fill out the forms in their name and address and spam them.

We used to do this in high school back in the '60's. There were lots of folks in my home town getting books and records from clubs.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
I currently live in an apartment building that was built in 1939. We still have the original brass mailboxes which serve four apartments in the small foyer. Each compartment is no more than 4 inches wide by 12 inches tall and each door is about 8 inches tall and opens upward when you unlock it at the bottom. It was built for penny postcards, small envelopes and airmail of the day.

Some days it takes two hands to maneuver and pry a magazine, Wednesday grocery circulars and the assorted ad mailings out of it. But the box has charm.

The majority of bills arrive by email or are auto paid online. There's nary an airmail. It's mostly crap.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:08 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
You can reduce your junk mail by going to the Data And Marketing Association (used to be Direct Mail Advertisers Assn). Scroll down to find the buttons/links to Manage Your Mail or Email preferences.

https://thedma.org/resources/consumer-resources/

Also, make sure you have the correct Privacy Settings for all your credit cards. This is usually explained on the Privacy Notice they have to send out each year. Or go to the card's web site and look for Privacy Preferences.

I did this years ago and now get very little junk mail.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:13 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Just sign up on the gov't website to stop junk mail. It makes a HUGE difference.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2018, 05:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
We still get mail for my father-in-law, who died twenty years ago at the age of eighty-two, and he didn`t even live at our address! What a waste of money. You would think after twenty years, they would say hey, don`t think he is going to respond

The lady who owned my house passed away and I bought the house six months later. Nobody in her family bothered to notify the post office so I got a LOT of mail for her. I knew the executor of her estate so if it looked important I'd let him know. I told the mail man, several times, that the lady had died and didn't care if she got mail so please don't deliver it. But he put BOTH of our names inside the mailbox. I finally called the post office and told them to, please, tell the mail man the woman was DEAD and to please remove her name! He finally did but I still get catalogs and stuff now and then. No big deal anymore, I guess, but it's been three years!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

I had that happen to me. After I moved one of my ex neighbors decided I needed to join a book of the month club. I let the post office know, after the first delivery, that it was bogus and they just sent anything back.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:41 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just sign up on the gov't website to stop junk mail. It makes a HUGE difference.
What govt web site?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement