U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 05:42 PM

39,559 posts, read 47,801,608 times

Advertisements

According to our mailman junk mail is the cash cow for the postal service, it pays the bills. Other services are not as profitable for junk mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 05:59 PM

54 posts, read 138,360 times
You can also contact companies by phone or email and ask to be taken off of their lists. This takes some time but it is worth it.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 PM

31,729 posts, read 20,009,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
What govt web site?
Here is info to opt out of a unsolicited items for phone, email and mail:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...alls-and-email
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-31-2018, 06:46 PM

221 posts, read 116,346 times
Home addresses are sold by the post office. Should a change of address form be completed, this is the worst way to have your name distributed to dozens of sell hungry product service places. This recycling loop will solidify the never ending barrage of irritating things your household receives.

Moving to a new home one can refuse mail delivery. When you give a PO Box address to a retailer this is the only way you have junk mail, when using a PO Box. However, you asked for it. Not practical for most, having a PO Box eliminates dealing with j-u-n-k.

Bulk mailers get lower rates for the volume of names they have in their system. For them, the more the merrier. A name will never exit their system. Have an ink stamp made with [i]deceased[i]. Use for items received under this name and if first class, they will redirect. Never had a problem with these items returning nor receiving a second offering.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:18 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,786,138 times
Junk mail increased when the public started to rely more on other shippers, like UPS & FedEx, because the USPS became so grossly incompetent. My former letter carrier, who I knew very well after 20 years of service (now retired after blowing his knees out), told me long ago that the USPS relied on all that junk mail to keep them solvent.

I still get junk mail addressed to people who sold my current house over 15 years ago.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,782,389 times
I remember being a kid in the 80's and we'd get tons of junk mail. We still do. It's just different junk now....no more 20 Finger Hut catalogs every month or Swiss Colony catalogs. We'd get credit card offers, nothing like today though.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,067,487 times
Our information is bought and sold all the time...but personally Id rather get junk mail than all the robo calls I get every day, I never pick up but then have to go through the effort if blocking these calls. When I retired and got my iPhone, it has just gotten worse and worse. When I retail shop now, I try not to give them my phone number, this is pretty much how every organization tracks us now, and they sell our information.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 PM

31,729 posts, read 20,009,652 times
There is also a Do Not Call sign-up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 01-31-2018, 10:14 PM

5,458 posts, read 2,843,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I think when newspapers started to die is when it started to ramp up. No use spending money on newspaper advertising if no one is reading it.

Ive heard a few people say they have successfully blocked it, but they never really say how.
You may be onto something there.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:16 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,977,201 times
I entered a popular radio station's contest 20+ years ago online and purposely used a deviation of my name, one time and one time only. To this day, after 4 moves and address changes, I still get the occasional piece of junk mail in that name at my current address, AND get spam with that name in my email spam box. I have never used that name online, yet "they" know .......Big Brother knows all. So I know where that name originally entered the "system" and who sold/marketed it.

I will still receive the occasional piece of mail for my daughter at my address in her maiden name. She has been using her married name for 15 years, and has never lived at my current address or any of my last 4 addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or