Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,350 posts, read 80,734,676 times

Advertisements

We have always gotten the junk mail selling new windows, roofs, tree service and lawn care. Also offering pre-approved loans and credit cards. At age 64 I started getting the medicare supplement junk mail, and in great volume. Now my wife is that age and is getting it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM

5,834 posts, read 6,896,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I was adult when spam started, but when did junk mail become so floodacious?
Junk mail was started by Lunsford Richardson, who invented Vick's VapoRub. Here is one article about it.
https://rockysmith.net/2013/07/13/th...-of-junk-mail/

Old 01-31-2018, 11:12 AM

10,870 posts, read 7,305,897 times
Junk mail is the bread and butter of the postal service since phone and email are so cheap/free.

I visited the home of a former US Postmaster General. He had several framed awards and citations from the Bulk Mail Advertisers of America (or similar groups).

We got catalogs for the previous owner of our house for 18 years after she was gone. They may still be coming there, but we sold the house.
We get a lot of junk mail for my SIL; hubster was her executor and had her mail forwarded, so we get more junk in her name than in ours. Especially embarrassing are the begging letters from the republican party; our politics are very different from hers.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:25 PM

8,727 posts, read 4,998,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
What is a newspaper?
Still get the Sunday paper.....wait in the window until it is delivered. It takes two minutes to read. Old habits are hard to break.....but then there are the coupons

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,666,517 times
Part of it is perception: the first class mail has decreased markedly since most people started using computers, so the junk mail makes up a larger proportion of the total mail you receive. I think it's the only thing that keeps the Post Office in business.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 18,136,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Part of it is perception: the first class mail has decreased markedly since most people started using computers, so the junk mail makes up a larger proportion of the total mail you receive. I think it's the only thing that keeps the Post Office in business.
Junk mail subsidizes the first class mail we actually use. Without all that useless stuff in my mailbox, a first class stamp would cost a couple of bucks.

If you want the junk mail to stop, permanently forward your mail to a PO box. All the junk mailers subscribe to permanent forwarding notification and that junk mail will start going directly to the PO box without the yellow stick-on forwarding that only applies to first class mail. After a year, the forwarding order will expire and the mail you care about will magically start appearing in your mailbox and you can cancel the PO box. It's a huge PITA to have to go to the post office for a year to collect your mail and toss the junk mail in the recycling bin but that's how you make it go away.

If you move, you want to adopt that same strategy. Permanently forward all your mail to a PO box. Only notify the businesses you care about about your address change. All that junk will go to the PO box.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,050,909 times
Comcast is absolutely the worst. They literally sent us advertisements almost every day for several years. Um, if we haven't responded to your first few hundred ad's, can't you take a hint and stop? How many million trees had to be cut down to produce all the friggin paper?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM

155 posts, read 155,963 times
Of the six deliveries a week from the USPS, I'd guess one is empty (no mail at all) and one might have something of substance (and I'll include Costco mail and the AARP rag in the "substance" category). The rest is all junk.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:01 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,327,005 times
I hate junk mail. I walk from the mailbox to the outside paper recycle garbage can and dump the crap before bringing mail into the house.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM

672 posts, read 441,001 times
It makes great fire starter.
Plus if you have enemies you can fill out the forms in their name and address and spam them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement