U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 AM

7,936 posts, read 5,048,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
That is the entirety of my plan - to sit around and do nothing, or read, or binge-watch TV. Or just sit and do nothing some more.

You may call it "wasting away". I call it "SWEET SWEET FREEDOM!"
And, again, this is fine; nobody has standing to judge, let alone to heap criticism. Nevertheless, two questions present themselves:

1. Would the above approach work equally well for a retiree of 50, as for one of 70?
2. After say 5 years of following the above plan, would one be inclined to continue, or to make a radical departure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 09:42 AM

5,372 posts, read 9,869,967 times
Certainly, all of us are different. Some of us will scale a mountain or two, others will travel widely, some will binge watch TV. It's for each of us to decide. At retirement, we each become the captains of our own ships.

I know some retirees who catch fire after retirement and do amazing things to improve their towns through vision and volunteer work. Know others who fine tuned their wood-working skills into small boat building or fine cabinetry.

Others develop and tend amazing flower and vegetable gardens. Some become fine fisherman and bring fresh fish to their dinner tables.

What will you do?

Me? I wrote and published a novel -- a life-long dream. (Falling Through Time), write magazine and Web articles, edit a book or two, am adapting a biography into a play. Started a pet-sitting business. Became an active Board member of the Friends of the Library. Just enough activity, but not overwhelming.

So many options upon retirement! And each of us marches to a different drummer.

As Yoda once said, "Do? Or no-do?"

If anyone becomes bored, I think it's a failure of imagination and action.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times
We didn't have any idea what retirement looked like. We didn't plan. We coasted into a nice house on Cape Cod with plenty of activities and a winter home in Florida. We are talking about flipping residency to Florida (we've lived there before) so maybe this is our first plan.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM

28,250 posts, read 39,920,849 times
Kait Hobbit?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,854,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Sounds like an existential crisis. I have not felt that way at all in my 7 or 8 years of retirement.
There may be some truth in that -- but, as a Christian, I believe there was a greater purpose and meaning in life than personal entertainment or simply keeping busy. For 10-years, I've tried to find a level of satisfaction in the retirement panacea of many (golf, fishing, reading, travel, writing, etc). While that has filled my days, it hasn't satisfied my Spirit/soul, which for 35-years has also been engaged in ministry. I may be different in this respect, but, I believe we all have an inner desire for greater purpose and meaning than this world and its toys can ever deliver.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:18 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,296,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
retirement is for riding motersickles, gardening, and working around the house on the honey do list...cause if mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...
You know it double6's LOLOLOL

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I'm 47 so have quite a few years to go before I have to seriously think about what I am going to do with my retirement time I also have a lot of hobbies that I enjoy so I probably will not be bored. I plan on doing my art full-time, traveling, exercising, photography...stuff I do on a very limited basis now, lol.
I have the same plans as you! (Although I am older---56)
I just hope the health holds out so I can enjoy retirement for several years. My FTA will be 67.
Good luck in your retirement down the road

Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Sounds like an existential crisis. I have not felt that way at all in my 7 or 8 years of retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

There may be some truth in that -- but, as a Christian, I believe there was a greater purpose and meaning in life than personal entertainment or simply keeping busy. For 10-years, I've tried to find a level of satisfaction in the retirement panacea of many (golf, fishing, reading, travel, writing, etc). While that has filled my days, it hasn't satisfied my Spirit/soul, which for 35-years has also been engaged in ministry. I may be different in this respect, but, I believe we all have an inner desire for greater purpose and meaning than this world and its toys can ever deliver.
I do not believe in the axiom or idea of "simply keeping busy" as you call it.

I've never 'simply kept busy' in my life! It is also a demeaning way of looking at precious life time.

Reading good literature or reading for knowledge is not 'simply keeping busy.'

I do not play golf, do not fish, and traveling is out for now.

There are all kinds of ways to enrich one's life on a daily basis.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsldy View Post
Now, no alarm clock. Walk the dogs almost every day. Take my time in the mornings with my coffee and GMA!!! Life is GREAT!. As someone else said, I did plan to ride my horse a lot more often in the summer months but after my accident, with my hip bothering me, I didn't do that as much as I had planned. Back to walking the dogs. Maybe more horseback riding this summer ???? Love retirement!!
Good for you!
Dogs, walking and riding horses...!! Sounds amazing Enjoy

Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 PM

7,936 posts, read 5,048,234 times
The deeper question, I think, is whether our main aim is personal satisfaction, or some higher "purpose". The latter might be religious, or it might be publishing scientific papers of archival quality, writing music, making a sculpture that would be studied by art-historians for centuries, or perhaps contributing to the public welfare by say volunteering with disadvantaged youth. And then there's the meta-question, I suppose, as to whether this higher purpose is not itself a means to an end, the means perhaps being noble and laudable, but the end being just... personal satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or