U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:37 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times

Advertisements

I think most people do. Whether it’s leading a life of liesure, volunteering, going to school or whatever, most people probably think about how their time will be spent when it’s no longer taken up with work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:37 PM

31,680 posts, read 19,984,454 times
I'm sure there are as many types of retirement as there are people, and everyone needs/wants different things.

My husband and I are retired and were pretty darn active, not a bunch of TV happening, though we enjoy watching it in the evening.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-03-2018, 05:35 AM

7,363 posts, read 3,044,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We have known so many people who retire and 'waste' away by watching TV or becoming couch potatoes. For many years, we have searched, by travelling, to look for our retirement location. We plan to lead an active retirement life, by playing tennis, cards, going to social events, etc... We have bought property in a gated development that has a club and sponsors many activities. We have friends and relatives that don't think about these things (pre-retirement). Is this typical or are we weird?
You're going to do exactly what you did before retirement. If you play cards and tennis, then you'll play cards and tennis after retiring. I always watched a lot of TV and still do. I have more than enough to fill my day with projects, hobbies and volunteering.
Just bought another boat, and have some electronics to install.

The retirees that are doomed to death soon after retiring are the ones without hobbies or skills.
All they had were the social and productivity aspects of employment.
Leaving that without a hobby or outside relationships is a mistake many make. This is common knowledge yet they do it anyway.

I have friends that moved into "planned old-people developments". I don't want or need a forced activity scene where neighbors ride bikes and have sushi parties together. I'd rather be among a regular cross section of people.
Have to run. Have some staining to do.

Last edited by finalmove; 02-03-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 05:36 AM

113 posts, read 46,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post
As for me Im busy spending my children's inheritance, and doing all the things there was never time for.

A friend from Seattle sent picture of a yacht leaving the nearby harbor. On the stern, you could clearly read the boat's name: "Sorry, kids." I got a good laugh from this.

I'm a year or so from retirement, but I started writing down what I wished to do in 2006. I still have the same document with updates added to the end, and it's interesting how my retirement wish list evolved over a dozen years. I won't bore you with the details, but scanning down the 18 pages shows my plans growing much more sedate as time passes.

Last year, I quizzed a few retired relatives and had a long talk with my parents about retiring. I was interested in advice, and what they wish they had done differently. My dad went on at some length about the necessity to plan for life, not just money. He claims retirement is a person's largest life change, except for having children. And that most folks (him included) don't prepare for the non-monetary aspects very well.

Here's the summarized advice I got from them. I wonder if experienced retirees agree:

1. Travel early - it will become less enjoyable as you age (most kin are in their 80's now).
2. Maintain friends, and concentrate where possible on developing friendships outside of work. They say it's very difficult to meet new folks, and your old one's pass on, or move away.
3. Find a hobby with a low cost-per-hour. Dad told me work limits the amount of time you spend at a hobby, and the sudden release of your time constraints can run up the costs dramatically. Also, he warned me that I'd find I really didn't want to fish every day, even though it seems desirable while sitting in my cubicle at work.
4. "Get a man-cave." This was stressed by the males. They told me no marriage can survive 24/7 togetherness, and we need time apart. Whether it's garage, or tinkering tool-shed, or a hunting cabin, find some place that allows space for awhile (usually it's the male who's more comfortable spending a weekend at deer camp etc. hence the term man-cave).

Old 02-03-2018, 06:13 AM

258 posts, read 133,097 times
I was wasting away at work.
Now that I retired I have plenty to do.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 AM

1,906 posts, read 675,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessinseattle View Post
I was wasting away at work.
Now that I retired I have plenty to do.
+1

@OP,

Philosophical question - What is a man without his dreams?

Plans have been made, and they change as life changes. I have investigated hundreds of locations to retire to. Looked into condos, single family homes, and even nomadic lifestyles. Rural or city? Mountains or beaches? Yada Yada Yada...

Its interesting that in life we get so little to look forward to. At 16 we get to drive (in most states). At 18 we get more liberties. At 21 we are totally free adults (at least in theory). Then, we are dead in the water until we turn 62 to 65.

Retirement is certainly a wonderful thing to dream about during that wasteland of birthdays between 21 and 62 - 65. I might spend my first 2 weeks of retirement pretending I'm on vacation, and doing absolutely nothing, lol.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:44 AM

10,298 posts, read 4,875,305 times
If I was financially able to do so I would love to rent or buy an RV and see our country. But unless I win the lottery it won't be in the cards for me anytime soon. I never really "planned anything" for retirement. I just figure when I stop working I will have more time for doing things I enjoy. Right now I only work two days so it's the best of both worlds.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:28 AM

6,259 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If I was financially able to do so I would love to rent or buy an RV and see our country. But unless I win the lottery it won't be in the cards for me anytime soon. .....

Forget the idea of renting. Rental costs are extremely high. Buying and living in an RV full time can be very inexpensive. Upon retirement, my wife and I downsized, put some keepsakes in storage and sold the house. Our big RV expense was buying a truck. We bought a used truck camper for very little money and put a bit more in for a solar system. After that costs were very low. We avoided resorts and expensive RV parks. We stayed in national parks, national forests, and BLM land for an average of $7/night. We used about 1 tank of propane every other month and about 2 gallons of gas a month for the generator. The big expense was for diesel fuel, but even that turned out to be less expensive than gas when I commuted to work.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM

6,259 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're going to do exactly what you did before retirement. ....
Perhaps not exactly, but the pattern of one's life is not likely to change. Those who drifted through life will continue the same pattern in retirement. Those who had constant passions, activities and motivation to achieve will continue that pattern in retirement.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:37 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Perhaps not exactly, but the pattern of one's life is not likely to change. Those who drifted through life will continue the same pattern in retirement. Those who had constant passions, activities and motivation to achieve will continue that pattern in retirement.
What if your passion was to "drift through life"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or