U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 04:39 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Depends on what you watch. There's some pretty brain numbing junk on TV.

Big difference between stimulating your brain through reading and killing your brain watching the drivel that is the majority of television entertainment.
Yeah but one personís drivel is another personís treasure. I remember the late, great John Lennon once saying in an interview that sometimes he just sat and watched the most inane TV sitcoms for a few days because he felt it just emptied his mind of all thought and freed it to go on to later creative things. And he also got a kick out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 04:45 PM

11,133 posts, read 8,540,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Sounds like you have a plan.
No, not really. By your logic, people "wasting" time would be a plan. Then, why even start the thread as everyone already has a "plan" just by being retired.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:40 PM

2,566 posts, read 1,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, not really. By your logic, people "wasting" time would be a plan. Then, why even start the thread as everyone already has a "plan" just by being retired.
You said you look forward to "piddling around". When one "piddles" as you put it, you ARE doing something. That IS a plan!

Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,546,296 times
I had an on and off 'retirement', being sick right out of high school. Then I felt better and did work as a programmer and loved it. I would have kept working that job for as long as possible, except all the stress and I got sick again. It's an auto immune condition. Not getting enough rest while getting way too much stress didn't help. So I sort of retired far younger than I would have chosen.

But I have used hobbies to fill in. I have a whole corner of the living room dedicated to the computer, or one of them. I buy used laptops and when they malfunction but aren't yet dead, so data can be gotten off them, I replace them. I'm still debating Facebook, but want to find other science fiction fans who like going to conventions and other startrek fans who write fanfiction, or any related shows... I love writing and reading fanfiction. I've met great online friends with it, the people I've kept in contact with.

But back when I was actively attending cons anytime I could, and filk parties as well (filk is science fiction folk music). I can find lots of it on the net now, but really want to be able to go an sing, and my my like minds. I hate that I get tired easy. Its how I've been since all the health fixits. I have no surplus stored of energy. But I can sit and write or read. And I have my con clothes. They still fit. The black crocheted one hasn't even been worn. I love being someone else for a while. And I love making things. But they need to be distinct. I keep hoping some of my like minds connect.

It's odd, given that I'd usually rather be the one sitting on the outside looking in with fascination of the dance, but someone like me who gets that whole energy would be wonderful to meet.

I'd love to take a trip, stop at a convention along the way and enjoy until its over. Then I'd need to go home but that would be fine. I'd like to go out to socal and go to Loscon, one I have been to many times, run by a club I belong to. I want to feel that anternate university all around me.

Still, as I know I don't want to overdo, I'd be recovering for a while. I come home real tired from science fiction cons, and a little sad leaving my own behind, but the effort and rest so worth it.

I would like to find something which helped with the tired, but so I could find the people I want to be around and celebrate, not just have periodic burst of energy. But that would be WORTH it. Fandom is everywhere, but you have to find it, and the incredable thing about it is that no matter where people come from, we're all part of fandom and its our private little home.

I may see if a doctor could help with the tired. I know that universe is here, just gotta go and find it and it won't matter where I live.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I had an on and off 'retirement', being sick right out of high school. Then I felt better and did work as a programmer and loved it. I would have kept working that job for as long as possible, except all the stress and I got sick again. It's an auto immune condition. Not getting enough rest while getting way too much stress didn't help. So I sort of retired far younger than I would have chosen.

But I have used hobbies to fill in. I have a whole corner of the living room dedicated to the computer, or one of them. I buy used laptops and when they malfunction but aren't yet dead, so data can be gotten off them, I replace them. I'm still debating Facebook, but want to find other science fiction fans who like going to conventions and other startrek fans who write fanfiction, or any related shows... I love writing and reading fanfiction. I've met great online friends with it, the people I've kept in contact with.

But back when I was actively attending cons anytime I could, and filk parties as well (filk is science fiction folk music). I can find lots of it on the net now, but really want to be able to go an sing, and my my like minds. I hate that I get tired easy. Its how I've been since all the health fixits. I have no surplus stored of energy. But I can sit and write or read. And I have my con clothes. They still fit. The black crocheted one hasn't even been worn. I love being someone else for a while. And I love making things. But they need to be distinct. I keep hoping some of my like minds connect.

It's odd, given that I'd usually rather be the one sitting on the outside looking in with fascination of the dance, but someone like me who gets that whole energy would be wonderful to meet.

I'd love to take a trip, stop at a convention along the way and enjoy until its over. Then I'd need to go home but that would be fine. I'd like to go out to socal and go to Loscon, one I have been to many times, run by a club I belong to. I want to feel that anternate university all around me.

Still, as I know I don't want to overdo, I'd be recovering for a while. I come home real tired from science fiction cons, and a little sad leaving my own behind, but the effort and rest so worth it.

I would like to find something which helped with the tired, but so I could find the people I want to be around and celebrate, not just have periodic burst of energy. But that would be WORTH it. Fandom is everywhere, but you have to find it, and the incredable thing about it is that no matter where people come from, we're all part of fandom and its our private little home.

I may see if a doctor could help with the tired. I know that universe is here, just gotta go and find it and it won't matter where I live.

Health issues are my greatest fear. Nightbird, I'm sorry to hear about your tiredness. I hope you are able to get some relief.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 6,392,532 times
Our retirement,1988,we moved to North FL,excellent choice.You could travel I-10,I-75 & I-95 very easily.
We enjoyed our time there,25 years,we had no taxes but unfortunately age caught up and with no choice we had to move back to CT,hell on earth,like a tomato rotting on a vine.State and county have no mercy for seniors.
I am near 85,not much time left.I am the youngest and in our short while here four have passed away and I am the tail end.
We had to move to be near our daughter,she could not move due to her husband's disabled sister under state care.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Our retirement,1988,we moved to North FL,excellent choice.You could travel I-10,I-75 & I-95 very easily.
We enjoyed our time there,25 years,we had no taxes but unfortunately age caught up and with no choice we had to move back to CT,hell on earth,like a tomato rotting on a vine.State and county have no mercy for seniors.
I am near 85,not much time left.I am the youngest and in our short while here four have passed away and I am the tail end.
We had to move to be near our daughter,she could not move due to her husband's disabled sister under state care.
I'm sorry to hear this. You're blessed to have a daughter to look after you in your latter years. We're fairly certain we will not have this.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:22 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,895,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

SciFi!!

Mike Sheperd The Kris Longknife series
Mutineer
Deserter
Defiant
Resolute
Audacious
Intrepid
Undaunted
Redoubtable
Daring
Furious
Defender
Tenacious

Chris Wooding The Braided Path Trilogy:
The Weavers of Saramyr
The Skein of Lament
The Ascendancy Veil

^^ Not my normal cup of tea, but I couldn't put them down, and neither could my wife.

Juanita Coulson The Children of the Stars series
Tomorrow's Heritage
Outward Bound Legacy of Earth
The Past of Forever

Warren Norwood The Double-Spiral War

Midway Between
Polar Fleet
Final Command

The Windhover Tapes
An Image of Voices
Flexing the Warp
Fize of the Gabriel Ratchets
Planet of Flowers

Gordon R. Dickson Childe Cycle
Dorsai!
Necromancer
Warrior (Short story included in Lost Dorsai)
Soldier, Ask Not
Tactics of Mistake
The Spirit of Dorsai
Lost Dorsai
The Final Encyclopedia
The Dorsai Companion
The Chantry Guild
Young Bleys
Other
Antagonist (with David W. Wixon)

C. J. Cherryh
I'll not try to list them all individually here is a link and those we like
Chanur series
Foreigner series

Anne McCaffery Doona
Decision at Doona
Crisis on Doona
Treaty at Doona

Tower and Hive
The Rowan
Damia
Damia's Children
Lyon's Pride
The Tower and the Hive

Gregory Benford Galactic Center
In the Ocean of Night
Across the Sea of Suns
Great Sky River
Tides of Light
Furious Gulf
Sailing Bright Eternity

Kristine Kathryn Rusch The Retrieval Artist Series
The Disappeared
Extremes
Consequences
Buried Deep
Paloma
Recovery Man
Duplicate Effort
Anniversary Day
Blowback
The Retrieval Artist: And Other Stories
The Recovery Man's Bargain
The Retrieval Artist Short Novel
The Possession of Paavo Deshin
The Impossibles

Diving Universe
Diving Into the Wreck
City of Ruins
Boneyards
Becalmed
The Room of Lost Souls
Stealth
Becoming One With the Ghosts
Strangers at the Room of Lost Souls

Old 02-03-2018, 08:00 PM

6,623 posts, read 3,748,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
We have known so many people who retire and 'waste' away by watching TV or becoming couch potatoes. For many years, we have searched, by travelling, to look for our retirement location. We plan to lead an active retirement life, by playing tennis, cards, going to social events, etc... We have bought property in a gated development that has a club and sponsors many activities. We have friends and relatives that don't think about these things (pre-retirement). Is this typical or are we weird?
People like different things. To you, watching tv is wasting away. To them, you are actively trying to avoid reality, maybe. Or keeping too busy to smell the roses and relax.

The financial situation also has a big impact. Living in a gated development with a club and sponsors and many activities - yu should know that not many retirees can afford that. And in order to play tennis and cards, you need other old fogies to do that with. Many retirees live alone.

There are no gated communities for retirees for at least 100 miles around where I live. No organized tennis games or card games. No retiree social events.

I do projects around my house and hope to move (again). With house cleaning and maintenance, handling my financial accounts (which is time consuming, amounting to a part time job), projects, gardening, exercise, dog care, there's not much time left over. But I do like watching tv. I'm not wasting away.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
People like different things. To you, watching tv is wasting away. To them, you are actively trying to avoid reality, maybe. Or keeping too busy to smell the roses and relax.

The financial situation also has a big impact. Living in a gated development with a club and sponsors and many activities - yu should know that not many retirees can afford that. And in order to play tennis and cards, you need other old fogies to do that with. Many retirees live alone.

There are no gated communities for retirees for at least 100 miles around where I live. No organized tennis games or card games. No retiree social events.

I do projects around my house and hope to move (again). With house cleaning and maintenance, handling my financial accounts (which is time consuming, amounting to a part time job), projects, gardening, exercise, dog care, there's not much time left over. But I do like watching tv. I'm not wasting away.

It is not my opinion that our parents deteriorated physically and mentally from being inactive post retirement; this is fact. Also you do not have to live in a gated development to have an active lifestyle during retirement, as many have pointed out in prior posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or