U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 PM

5,453 posts, read 2,781,322 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting for retirement since the first day I ever went to work. I have so many things I want to do and the only thing that will limit me will be money and health. There's so many interesting things out there to find out about - how on earth can someone be bored if they don't work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:15 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,717,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It is not my opinion that our parents deteriorated physically and mentally from being inactive post retirement; this is fact. Also you do not have to live in a gated development to have an active lifestyle during retirement, as many have pointed out in prior posts.
Planning ahead would probably have made no difference in their physical condition after their retirement. What plans do you believe they would have made if they did? From what you have told us, it appears their plans would have been to sit in front of the TV and not much more.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,035,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Planning ahead would probably have made no difference in their physical condition after their retirement. What plans do you believe they would have made if they did? From what you have told us, it appears their plans would have been to sit in front of the TV and not much more.
Obviously, I am in a much better position to know our parents' situation than you.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:14 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 21 days ago)

5,641 posts, read 6,714,203 times
I consider myself "active", if I'm still breathing!

Old 02-03-2018, 10:27 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,468,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post

I consider myself "active", if I'm still breathing!
that is funny!! ha! :^)

Old 02-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 21 days ago)

5,641 posts, read 6,714,203 times
Whether you're retired or not, always hold on to your sense of humor!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM

324 posts, read 117,459 times
I want to live like my parents do when I retire. Once they stopped working they got heavily involved with the Red Cross and Habitat for Humanity. That kept them busy as both involved a lot of travel. Building houses was very physical work but even setting up stations for the Red Cross invoved a lot of crawling around running wires or hanging lights up high- it all depended on what kind of structure they were in. Then they got a little volunteer burn-out and lessened involvement with those orgs but they do a lot of travel now. My step dad teaches ball-room dance to elders and my mom has taken up golf and singing. And he recently started driving for the EMT. They are both happy.

My dad bought a house in the country. He has a dog and a cat and one friend and spends most of his time watching tv or looking up stuff online. For a long time he felt happy but now he’s wishing he took more vacations and made more friends.

So my vision is a combination, I volunteer now but I’d also like to g work with Red Cross or as a volunteer at a National Park like I did when I was younger. I’d also want to go back and take some courses or learn a new skill. But I do need time each day to lounge and read a book or even see what’s on Netflix occasionally. If that ever became my whole life though I wouldn’t be happy

Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM

13,352 posts, read 25,621,216 times
My parents had no money, divorced in the 1980s, ended up living together in a trailer because she was broke and he was homeless. (He drove a taxi until 75 and a heart attack). They never had any interests or activities. I suspect, in retrospect, that they both had severe depression. He gambled wildly with any money he got, and she stayed home with anxiety/depression and never left the house unless she had to waitress to keep food on the table. I thought this was normal adult life until pretty late in life.

After his heart attack, my father worked at a booth at a factory checking IDs on the night shift to stay away from his now ex-wife, whose paranoia kept her up all night. She got crazier and he spent his days taking the train to gambling (but paying the few bills first- a very modest life on Soc. Sec. and no car). She got cancer and he chose to keep her in the trailer, she only went into hospice at the end. It was the most honorable thing he did in his life in addition to his World War 2 combat service.

He finally stopped working and until his death at 87, walked a couple of miles every day to errands or the train- to Philly to "turf clubs" (formerly illegal off-track betting places) or to Atlantic City for the track. He did pay his bills first in his maturity. He lived a very austere life in the modest trailer, almost monk-like. He was a very strange man who admitted he should have never married or had kids. The few interests he had have carried over for me- televised sports (for me, baseball, he preferred football for the gambling), dogs, World War 2, daily newspaper.

I'm sure I never heard the word "retirement," as money was a weekly day-by-day issue all the time. I realized late in life that it wasn't because there wasn't enough, although that could be a working-class issue, but because of the gambling. I certainly figured you work until you die because what are the financial alternatives?

I am so grateful for the internet and the flow of information and discussion about all topics, but certainly about money and retirement. I would have been lost without it.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 PM

4,045 posts, read 3,280,937 times
I'd sooner be dipped in red sauce and dropped in a bull pen than have a "partner" or use the word "we" in my retirement, since the vast majority of women I've dealt with are ghouls and vampires who decide that "I must pay" for everything since I clearly have a few bucks. I cannot for the life of me comprehend living full-time with someone with whom I must "compromise" on everything. Pass.

T-minus 9 years or so, "maybe" (haven't seriously examined it, but topically it appears do-able), I am considering selling the house, putting stuff in storage, and camping for a year to see if I can sustain that lifestyle. Thinking used Class B with a motorcycle hitch on back for a Ducati or BMW adventure bike as the daily driver.

My mother smoked and drank herself to death during "menopause" that seemed to last for about seven years. Poor woman couldnot catch a break. That was her choice, though. 61 seems too young to die.

My dad took that opportunity, only a few years after he'd retired too, to camp often and take road trips. He always lived frugal, so this was no great hardship. He'd take his old fuddy duddy Mercury Grand Marquis sedan and tent camp for weeks, then check into a motel for a real meal and bath. He loved this and I admire him for for it. Think he did that at least ten years, as I slowly go through his slides. We'd visit about twice per year, which was plenty as far as I was concerned.

So, I can be equally minimalist and at least try this. If that fails, I'm hoping to find a town where I can buy a studio or townhome and call that home base, and live off remainder of my investments traveling mostly by bike and car. There is enough to see in the CONUS and Canada for a lifetime, by my reckoning, though were there opportunity to live in South Africa I'd certainly try that too.

So yes, I'm planning for years, making great dough in the interim and living somewhat high on the hog while saving lots, too.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:11 PM

167 posts, read 74,765 times
Yes, pretty much every day. But also remind myself that I am living retirement to some degree, in my head now that we've moved to a beautiful area with clean air and great cycling/hiking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or