Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:12 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I look forward to retirement as coming full circle back to a time somewhat like pre-teenage years, where we weren’t working, and could explore so many interesting things—art, music, sports, friendships, cooking, gardening, travel, and any intellectual pursuits, such as learning about architecture, etc.
That's pretty much how our retirement is. With the exception of some volunteer work and some writing/editing projects--which are not work, but pleasure.

I adore sleeping in on occasion. Hated that 6 AM alarm going off so much. I am NOT a morning person at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 01:36 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Prior to retirement, when one is sitting in the office on a nice day, it's only natural to daydream about escaping into a host of activities one would rather be doing - and envision themselves doing daily, when they retire and 'have enough time.'

But, after retirement, when one actually has all the time in the world to do whatever they want, daydreams of escaping into a flurry of daily activities wane. After a few years, many find that they have done all the fishing, golf, travel, shopping, reading, etc. that they want to do. Then is when one truly needs a vision of how they will meaningfully spend the rest of their lives.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're going to do exactly what you did before retirement. If you play cards and tennis, then you'll play cards and tennis after retiring. I always watched a lot of TV and still do. I have more than enough to fill my day with projects, hobbies and volunteering.
Just bought another boat, and have some electronics to install.

The retirees that are doomed to death soon after retiring are the ones without hobbies or skills.
All they had were the social and productivity aspects of employment.
Leaving that without a hobby or outside relationships is a mistake many make. This is common knowledge yet they do it anyway.

I have friends that moved into "planned old-people developments". I don't want or need a forced activity scene where neighbors ride bikes and have sushi parties together. I'd rather be among a regular cross section of people.
Have to run. Have some staining to do.
I agree. It was different getting use to relaxing in the beginning. But do to a broken ankle within the first few months of retirement (mountain biking with the dogs) I got use to taking it easy. My job was fast paced and physically demanding. Now, no alarm clock. Walk the dogs almost every day. Take my time in the mornings with my coffee and GMA!!! Life is GREAT!. As someone else said, I did plan to ride my horse a lot more often in the summer months but after my accident, with my hip bothering me, I didn't do that as much as I had planned. Back to walking the dogs. Maybe more horseback riding this summer ???? Love retirement!!

Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Default I haven't told Mrs. G of my plans yet but...

I imagine that I will have time to do the things I did before I started working, like taking things apart with my dad's hammer to see what's inside and setting army men on fire with paint thinner

Old 02-07-2018, 03:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
How would any one person be able to speculate what "most people" would do?

Old 02-07-2018, 03:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Prior to retirement, when one is sitting in the office on a nice day, it's only natural to daydream about escaping into a host of activities one would rather be doing - and envision themselves doing daily, when they retire and 'have enough time.'

But, after retirement, when one actually has all the time in the world to do whatever they want, daydreams of escaping into a flurry of daily activities wane. After a few years, many find that they have done all the fishing, golf, travel, shopping, reading, etc. that they want to do. Then is when one truly needs a vision of how they will meaningfully spend the rest of their lives.
Sounds like an existential crisis. I have not felt that way at all in my 7 or 8 years of retirement.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:51 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Sounds like an existential crisis. I have not felt that way at all in my 7 or 8 years of retirement.
I'm starting to feel like the only person in this forum whose main goal in life was to not go to the hospital at 11p every night! Of course, I've only been retired for ten days now and am trying to rev up to get ready to move but the main thing I thought of with retirement, despite all my plans, was to not go to the job and grind my teeth anymore. And one could even say that my job was often productive but, enough. Work took so much out of me that I am going to do whatever I want (or not do) as long as I want (or don't want) and that is that.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm starting to feel like the only person in this forum whose main goal in life was to not go to the hospital at 11p every night! Of course, I've only been retired for ten days now and am trying to rev up to get ready to move but the main thing I thought of with retirement, despite all my plans, was to not go to the job and grind my teeth anymore. And one could even say that my job was often productive but, enough. Work took so much out of me that I am going to do whatever I want (or not do) as long as I want (or don't want) and that is that.
I agree with that and feel the same way! - work took so much out of me, and I'm thrilled not to be working every single day!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I loved my last job and only retired because I had to, but I feel the same way. I put my time in and I am going to do what i darn well please now.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Yes, I agree. But both sets of our parents and others we have known didn't think about retirement before they retired, didn't have any sort of plan and ended up 'wasting' away mentally and physically earlier than they should have.
That is the entirety of my plan - to sit around and do nothing, or read, or binge-watch TV. Or just sit and do nothing some more.

You may call it "wasting away". I call it "SWEET SWEET FREEDOM!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement