U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,470,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
Because I live in 940 square ft, I can't let things accumulate. \.
That is my goal..
5 years ago I lived in 3500 sqft
Now 2000 sqft is bigger than I need.

My son & his girlfriend lived in a truck for a year as they traveled & explored.
Had a large dog, kayaking, rock climbing & snowboarding gear. Cooked amazing meals
with just a few essentials. Watching them made me realize how little we actually need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,878,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have been minimizing for years. I probably have 1/4 th of what I had
5 years ago. So I have SLOWLY made lots of progress..

I want to reduce even further so that I am not keeping things just for the sake of keeping them.
Only what I use or dearly love gets to stay.

Something seems to hold me back from getting rid of things faster than I am.
Wish I knew why I can't just empty the garage in a week and keep only what I use.

When I go thru a box it seems easy to decide what I want to get rid of.
But then what to do that slows me down. I have piles for charity, give to
someone specific, eBay, craigslist, curb free give away, trash. I seem
over concerned that stuff gets to someone that can use it.

Anyone else get bogged down with that aspect of minimizing ??
The reason you can't get rid of stuff faster than you would like is because you have no firm deadline. When time is on your side, you tend to overthink the issue. Its great that you have gotten rid of what you have, that's an accomplishment right there

Now comes the hard part---making decisions that aren't so cut-and-dried. I did what you described---I had piles of stuff for charity, stuff for garage sale, stuff for Ebay, etc. The piles sat there until I forgot what was what and had to go through and re-think them

Until the moving van is coming, we never do the final sort. There's always more time...until there isn't.

This is what I did---get rid of the catch-of-the day that day! Once you have sorted, get rid of it! don't leave it sit there to second guess. I labeled things with color-coded stickers, ribbons, etc. Just make a master chart of what color is for what. For example, red was trash, green was donation, etc. Then, every day that I made a donation box or bag, I took it to the donation drop off. fortunately it was on the way to pick up my kids from school so I went right by there, anyways. Don't worry the box/bag isn't filled up, drop it off and its history! Same with trash. We got an extra trash container, for us it was an extra $10/month, but well worth it to dump the trash. Once its gone, its gone!

Don't worry about Ebay, what you get isn't worth the fees. Donate it to charity.

Same for garage sale, unless you have some really good items.

Now, make a time commitment. Schedule a garage sale and advertise so you will be motivated.

Set remaining stuff out at curb. We put up a sign, Free- U haul off--it was gone in an hour!

Don't worry you will make mistakes and get rid of stuff you wish you had kept---it will happen. Ask yourself will I use this, need it in the future? Can I buy another if I find I really needed it? If in doubt, throw it out, You pay to ship and store stuff, its cheaper to buy new. Remember, there's always WalMart, and they can deliver right to your new home. I got rid of all my mis-matched dishes, glasses, etc , and ordered new from Walmart, there they were, nice and packed and shipped to my new home, one less thing to worry about!

Of course, as we retire, we get sentimental about touch points with the past. Only you can decide what you can't part with. I put yellow stickers on items I couldn't part with, and re-evaluated at a later date. Do realize its overwhelming to analyze what to part with from the past. sometimes its all we can do to part with one or two things at a time. I found it helps to take pictures of items that have meaning, but you have nowhere to store. I started an album with pictures of such items, along with a brief written narrative of what it was, and why it was important. Then, I donate some, and keep some.

The rest I figure my kids can sort through, My daughter thinks my pearls are real---hee, hee! I inherited my Grandmother's Mikimoto pearls and wore them at my wedding, then handed them down to my niece. I have some fabulous fakes, no one can tell the difference

Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I did what you described---I had piles of stuff for charity, stuff for garage sale, stuff for Ebay, etc. The piles sat there until I forgot what was what and had to go through and re-think them

Thanks for the input, very helpful.

Oh boy have I made piles and forgot what they were !! haha

You are right about eBay. So I decided it has to be worth at least $40 and small to get put in that box.

I am going to try to give myself deadlines. I have 10 containers to sort pulled out in the garage. That is
my goal this week and it has to go to trash, charity or give away.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 AM

1,293 posts, read 950,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Nobody wants old silver stuff:

https://www.ebth.com/search?q=silver...&status=active

Those were treasured by long gone ancestors.

These are most likely not real silver, rather a cupper-silver alloy, dozen-a-dime from some poor countries.
I keep silverware from 1800s, hand-made pieces of art with exquisite metalwork, with pureness stamps. They are of museum quality. I use them in my daily life. Makes me feel like I'm in a connection with past, even though it sounds rather pompous.
I buy old silver stuff, but not for metal. Can't buy old furniture because it usually needs restoration, and I'm not a master. I hunt for fine china on yard sales. Saw an unbelievably beautiful Limoges set recently, in a really poor shape, for crazy $$, would take if it had at least three full personal sets, but no. I try to show my daughter the beauty of old things, it feels she is getting it, slowly. As I'm not in any business related to antique things or precious metals, I can't invest much, so I only buy relatively inexpensive stuff. But still can't understand how it is possible to sell a unique beautiful thing just because it doesn't match your other standard dish sets.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
But still can't understand how it is possible to sell a unique beautiful thing just because it doesn't match your other standard dish sets.
Haven't you heard the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" ??

Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 AM

2,462 posts, read 2,105,372 times
Going through this and have always been one to go through my stuff so although I live in a large house with tons of storage I am sure we have less than most-----------but still a crazy amount. Lately I have been getting better at tossing stuff and making bundles for charity.
I do find that if I schedule a pick up (around here many charities will pick up ) then all I have to do is bag or box it up and leave it at the front door....it's a great motivation.
I usually say it will be a small to medium pick up (they ask when filling it out on line- so I say it will be between 2 and 5 bags)............and this way it isn't quite so massive but little by little the excess is making its way out of the house.
I really think Marielee had some very wise advice. I so agree about the selling. 99% of the time not worth the time and or effort.

At the end of the day, I do have the hardest time with papers and photos.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:01 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,073,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Seems like you found the ribbons a "good home". Certainly when one is "old enough" with no heirs, yeah, I guess you might as well sell things like this.

Hopefully you can find a better home for family photos than a dumpster.
When we sold our home and downsized (for a time all our possessions had to fit in a van) I went through all the family photos and gave bunches to the people who were in them, mostly DH's grown kids and his sister. I kept about 2 small albums worth.

It's a good thing to do even if you aren't downsizing.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Antiques? Nope. Not interested. All those knick knacks? Oh hell no! I don't need a house full of dust collectors. My parents know that none of us want their stuff. There's a few dishes my sister used to want. There's a rocking chair I want because it belonged to my great grandmother and I used to love rocking in that chair. That's all the 3 of us kids want.

I know it's my responsibility to clean out the house. My siblings want nothing to do with it. So my plan is to bring in a dumpster. Pitch whatever needs to be pitched. Donate whatever can be donated. Anything that may have value will be dealt with by an estate seller. That's it. No sitting on the stuff for 3 years. No crying over everything. My parents are hoarders so I expect to find gross things. For YEARS there were a couple of dead cardinals in the freezer in the basement. So I can only imagine what I'm in for!
You are looking at it all wrong!

Take what you want, throw away ONLY ACTUAL GARBAGE, not what YOU think has no value. Then turn it over to an estate seller and you are done.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,817,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
An item being old does not mean it has value. My grandmother has this “record player that is a piece of furniture.” She was convinced it was antique. I found the model # on the unit and its worth about $150.
Who doesn't want $150?

Old 02-06-2018, 08:10 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,777,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You are looking at it all wrong!

Take what you want, throw away ONLY ACTUAL GARBAGE, not what YOU think has no value. Then turn it over to an estate seller and you are done.
Here's the thing. I KNOW what's in my parents house. You don't. I KNOW how my parents live. You don't. They are hoarders with numerous ill cats. There's next to nothing of any type of value in that house. There's a handful of things, but the cats got to them. Between the scratches, urine, feces, and vomit, no one will want the items. There are no antiques. Just old dated crap from the 80's and 90's that's in terrible condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or