U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,816,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
When my dad passed and we had to clean out his apt., my sister arranged with a local (to her) auction company to come and get his furniture (nothing special). They sent 3 men and a truck from around Worcester MA to almost Boston MA, loaded up and drove back. When we finally got the auction proceeds, we each got about $100. Figuring the auction company kept about 10%, I would say that was a losing proposition for them.
Yeah, that's not how it works.

Their actual cut was around 50% of the GROSS sales.

From YOUR 50% was deducted all expenses, like advertising, cost of auction help, utilities, and the money they paid 3 men and a truck to bring the goods. That left your $100 each.

Auction companies are NEVER in the position of losing money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The jewelry at least would be wanted by someone. Why not put it up for sale after getting its worth, and know it went to someone who really wanted it.
That is the craziest part. People will offer their family gold, diamond, and precious gem jewelry of the recently deceased and most of them don't have the foresight to see anything of value. The executors end up selling for pennies on the dollar or just keeping it.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,068,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yeah, that's not how it works.

Their actual cut was around 50% of the GROSS sales.

From YOUR 50% was deducted all expenses, like advertising, cost of auction help, utilities, and the money they paid 3 men and a truck to bring the goods. That left your $100 each.

Auction companies are NEVER in the position of losing money.

IDK, it seems to me they sent a list of what everything sold for, and it wasn't much. Sure, they could have cheated, but how did they know one of us was not at the sale, taking notes?

This was all a long time ago, so my memory may be faulty.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 13 days ago)

9,562 posts, read 3,665,665 times
I've had appraisers tell me my things are "worth nothing" and then say "I'll take it off your hands for you".

Um, no.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Here's the thing. I KNOW what's in my parents house. You don't. I KNOW how my parents live. You don't. They are hoarders with numerous ill cats. There's next to nothing of any type of value in that house. There's a handful of things, but the cats got to them. Between the scratches, urine, feces, and vomit, no one will want the items. There are no antiques. Just old dated crap from the 80's and 90's that's in terrible condition.
Like I said, throw away the actual garbage only.

Unfortunately in this case that means just about everything. Good luck and wear a mask and gloves.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times
My mom has a Henredon sectional sofa from the 1950s that has been recovered at least five times and my sister have been fighting over it all our lives. Literally.

I use my crystal and china a lot.

My MIL has some ladder back chairs made by by the guy who literally made the Kennedy Rockers for P&P chairs and she has willed them to me.

I think it just depends on what is being given.

My mom has also passed down her jewelry through the years. Both my engagement and wedding rings were my mothers.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:40 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,208,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
You are looking at it all wrong!

Take what you want, throw away ONLY ACTUAL GARBAGE, not what YOU think has no value. Then turn it over to an estate seller and you are done.
I think you meant FIND an estate seller who will take the job.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,208,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

Small common lives that come and then go. I am glad my father got his one wish- to be buried in the V.A. Cemetery with a Jewish star, his name spelled right, and World War 2 on the stone. I have one picture, of him in dress uniform after basic training, on his way to Europe in 1944. So many lives turned around by this and other events. I love the picture and am glad to have it, have made sort of a memory altar with a meditating Buddha and a meditating sculpture, plus a Tibetan prayer bell. A spare memory, which suits me.
Awww I love that story. Bless your father.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWrMeBR8W-c

Old 02-06-2018, 10:50 AM

7,679 posts, read 4,719,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have found sterling silver spoons in thrift stores for as little as $.10. because no one bothered to clean it and see what it was.
Agony is being in St. Vincent de Paul, standing in line behind the guy who took 6 solid (not weighted) sterling silver goblets to the register and is paying $1 each.

I check the marks on all silvery items now. Have made some money that way.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:23 AM

1,837 posts, read 789,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
We have several boxes of photos from my husbandís family. No one knows who they are. Iím fine with giving them to an antique shop or artist to do something with. We will never know who the people are so why hold onto them until we die and keep passing them on? Thatís how we got stuck with them.
That is sad that you don't know who they are. Yeah I can't see you keeping them. At least today most photos are digital, they don't have to be discarded, just identified. I try and put up on ancestry family tree any pictures I find of family so at least their likeness is kept forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or