U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2018, 10:42 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,680,623 times

Advertisements

I used to browse through antique shops in my 30’s. My mother was along one day and I realized she did not like antiques at all and antique stores had an ick factor for her. I couldn’t understand why she didn’t appreciate antiques or older houses like I did. It all fascinated me.

I’m 64 now and I like family heirlooms only and not all of them, and don’t want anyone else’s old stuff anymore. Old houses have lost their charm too, i still love them, but from a distance now. I’ve done all the restoring and maintaining I wanted. Give me clean, uncluttered and modern these days.

I’ve wondered if it’s my age or just my natural evolution through the years, arriving where I am now. Or simply wanting what I never had and moving on after I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM

23,864 posts, read 8,328,539 times
It's amazing the phases we go thru in our lives...thinking about all the phases I've been thru. Bought a lovely what not table in an antique store on one of my road trips, no one wants this table when I'm gone. Maybe today's generations won't go that route as they are addicted to their technology.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:56 AM

26,591 posts, read 52,392,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Many people don't have the time to deal with eBay. Then there's the storage issue. There are guarantees anything will sell on eBay. It's just another hassle for most folks handling a family member's estate. There's a time crunch to settle the estate as well.
Of course... it takes effort just like most things.

Found the same with cars... I have friends that trade in their cars and never private sell... nothing can be easier than trading in when buying new.

For some it was the time... simply don't have any.

Others it is security... dealing with scammers or worse... plenty of those out there... some deals are known to go bad so local police stations are setting up safe zones for transactions...

Old 02-07-2018, 12:01 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,392,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's amazing the phases we go thru in our lives...thinking about all the phases I've been thru. Bought a lovely what not table in an antique store on one of my road trips, no one wants this table when I'm gone. Maybe today's generations won't go that route as they are addicted to their technology.
In 1980 I spent a lot of money... more money than anything I had ever bought for an Apple // computer, printer, floppy drives, etc... I kept everything including the boxes... that was 38 years ago.

It was worthless when I bought my Windows 98 Dell...

Still couldn't toss it.. still had family information and an IEEE card on it and it never crashed or failed...

Two years ago my brother mentioned it to a youngish computer geek... he comes to see it and offered me $800 for it... part of the reason... believe it or not is I still had the original boxes

Old 02-07-2018, 03:28 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,893,607 times
For the most part, the stuff that parents have aren't worth much, and it's just easier for the next of kin to just throw it out so that the place can be cleaned up, and either rented to or sold to someone else. One article suggested since the current generation lives in smaller dwellings, may need to move more often, have their own cherished items (esp. those that don't eat up so much space), and do more things online than before; they really can't afford to take on the extra junk. It's one thing if it were worth something. If it were, it'd be time and money to have it appraised, which may not be worth that either.
When I visited my folks, I happily helped my dad clean out a bunch of stored stuff in the garage (literally, doing the heavy lifting to get those items down). That's much less junk the rest of us'll have to worry about when they pass!

Old 02-07-2018, 03:35 PM

120 posts, read 59,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I used to browse through antique shops in my 30ís. My mother was along one day and I realized she did not like antiques at all and antique stores had an ick factor for her. I couldnít understand why she didnít appreciate antiques or older houses like I did. It all fascinated me.

Iím 64 now and I like family heirlooms only and not all of them, and donít want anyone elseís old stuff anymore. Old houses have lost their charm too, i still love them, but from a distance now. Iíve done all the restoring and maintaining I wanted. Give me clean, uncluttered and modern these days.

Iíve wondered if itís my age or just my natural evolution through the years, arriving where I am now. Or simply wanting what I never had and moving on after I got it.

All my working life, I planned on buying and restoring a Victorian home as a retirement project. Now that I'm retired, I just want an ultra-modern apartment, with maid service.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:39 PM

5,477 posts, read 2,935,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I went way overboard in buying Lionel Trains...
I have all my Father's trains (my husband's too) ... so tired of storing them.

No one wants the stuff. While cleaning out my mother's house, I took "the china tea set" my great aunt had painted--only because I knew no one wanted to dispose of it. Nobody wanted it. It is not safe to drink from--lead. So...I kept the creamer and threw all the rest away. I have no regrets... Another year or so, I will probably dispose of the creamer.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,362,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I have all my Father's trains (my husband's too) ... so tired of storing them.

No one wants the stuff. While cleaning out my mother's house, I took "the china tea set" my great aunt had painted--only because I knew no one wanted to dispose of it. Nobody wanted it. It is not safe to drink from--lead. So...I kept the creamer and threw all the rest away. I have no regrets... Another year or so, I will probably dispose of the creamer.
There are model train clubs all over the country. Find one and ask them to come take your trains. They will be thrilled.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 PM

23,864 posts, read 8,328,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
There are model train clubs all over the country. Find one and ask them to come take your trains. They will be thrilled.
We kids had a great train set and now thinking about it, wonder where it went. Don't ever remember cleaning that out in my parents' house when we sold it. BUT, they did have an attic and my sis and I didn't even think to go up there and clean stuff out..don't know what was up there, maybe the train set. It's history and maybe the new owners of the house found it, maybe not.

It's true the young people will be hopefully learning to live in smaller houses/apts...no basements, garages and attics.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:31 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,481,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We kids had a great train set and now thinking about it, wonder where it went. Don't ever remember cleaning that out in my parents' house when we sold it. BUT, they did have an attic and my sis and I didn't even think to go up there and clean stuff out..don't know what was up there, maybe the train set. It's history and maybe the new owners of the house found it, maybe not.

It's true the young people will be hopefully learning to live in smaller houses/apts...no basements, garages and attics.
Cannot even imagine selling my childhood home without checking and cleaning out the attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or