U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 AM

779 posts, read 522,203 times

Advertisements

Clemensia.

There is a big difference `perceived value `and real monetary value.

Buyers are not sentimental about what they want to buy....Owners are attached to their things. The reality comes along when the owner finally needs the money, and the buyers says the maximum I will pay is a quarter of what you think it is worth. Buyers are in business to make a profit, sellers are not.

I bought a shoebox of vintage post cards( Victorian and Edwardian era ) , over 200 in all for $50. It took a year of selling them bit by bit on the internet. but my eventual profit was about $400. The buyers are out there.. you just have to do some digging to find them. On the other hand I have turned a 1899 Lois Vuitton steamer trunk bought for $110, into a $550 sale in under a week. You never know what will sell well.

XX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 09:35 AM

480 posts, read 399,924 times
And the funny thing is, 30 years ago, you couldn't give mid-century modern away. It carried the baggage of "what our parents [those annoying people, who were always telling us what to do] had." Just as we usually don't care for the music or clothing of the previous generation.

In my opinion, the current crop of internet angst over "nobody wants your stuff" and "get rid of everything now, so you don't 'burden' your relatives" is seriously overblown. It all depends on how you have chosen to furnish your life. If you have well-made, tasteful items, someone will be able to make use of them.

Take a look at most of the furniture and home decorations that have ended up in your local thrift stores...poorly made, worn out...And yet, even so, somebody must want it, or it would have ended up in the landfill instead of the thrift store.

Unless it's actual hoarder trash, someone will want it. They may not pay a lot for it, but honestly, who cares? An estate-sale reseller will have no problem disposing of it. There will be no "burden."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Times and tastes change. Lots of younger homeowners furnish their homes with Mid-Century Modern.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:36 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
I expect they will offer 15 to 20 percent below the spot price. Lower karat gold will bring lower prices.
Try a local coin store instead, the price will be much closer to spot (as it should be). Those traveling "we buy jewelry" shows are notorious for paying a fraction of the actual value.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
There are probably people today who are still interested in old, "vintage" dishes, silverware, furniture and other "collectibles," but, I don't know who they are. We've attempted to offload our 'downsizing' china, silverware, Christmas decorations, etc. on our kids ... but, they all have their own style and modern collections. At many "estate sales" attempting to sell an entire housefuls of 'treasured possessions,' ... it quickly becomes apparent that there really isn't much of a market for 'old stuff,' even among relatives of the deceased.

A number of TV shows attempt to assign exorbitant values to old 'junk' (ie; American Pickers, Storage Wars, etc). Yes, I know, "one man's junk is another man's treasure," but,thrift stores and "antique" shops are full of unsold 'treasures.' IMO, the inflated values attributed to these things on these TV shows -- is not even close to what real people actually pay for them.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-03-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
There are probably people today who are still interested in old, "vintage" dishes, silverware, furniture and other "collectibles," but, I don't know who they are. We've attempted to offload our 'downsizing' china, silverware, Christmas decorations, etc. on our kids ... but, they all have their own style and collections. I've also watched many "estate sales" attempting to sell an entire houseful of 'treasured possessions,' noting that there really isn't much of a market for 'old stuff,' even among deceased relatives.

A number of TV shows attempt to assign exorbitant values to old 'junk' (ie; American Pickers, Storage Wars, etc). Yes, I know, "one man's junk is another man's treasure," but,thrift stores and "antique" shops are full of unsold 'treasures.' IMO, the inflated values attributed to these things on these TV shows -- is not even close to what real people actually pay for them.
I live in a house built in the 1920s, so I did collect and buy vintage items.

I was so happy when I had to move to a small rural town in Oklahoma. The prices for those types of things were a tenth of what was expected in the more upscale small towns around the city.

I bought a fully functional radio/phonograph for 25 dollars!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 12 days ago)

9,540 posts, read 3,660,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Nobody wants old silver stuff:

https://www.ebth.com/search?q=silver...&status=active

Those were treasured by long gone ancestors.
Anything silver and gold is worth money. Solid silver is worth even more, such as solid silver knives and forks, etc.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,347,729 times
Quote:
Today a local community centre here in Toronto has been rented by a national company , to hold a form of antique road show. The company holds these one day open house events around Toronto every couple of weeks. They offer free appraisals of just about anything that you have.

I will be walking over, ( its about 2 kilometres ) with a couple of gold items, and some sterling silver table ware. Their ad, delivered to every home in a 5 kilometre radius, lists all of the various types of things that they will buy. They pay cash or if you would rather, they will credit your credit card account.
Wondering... in addition to the list of what they will buy, did they also give a list of things they don't buy? That would be interesting.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:05 AM

1,142 posts, read 778,752 times
Quote:
VT Snowbird.

The company states in their advertising, which is delivered to each house by Canada Post, exactly what they pay per GRAM of silver or gold. Before I go over today, I have all ready looked up today`s spot price for silver( about $14.89 per ounce in US dollars ) and the spot price for gold ( about $1344 per ounce in US dollars )`

Silver is @ $16.61US

Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 AM

8,232 posts, read 2,435,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Times and tastes change. Lots of younger homeowners furnish their homes with Mid-Century Modern. No one wants Colonial or French Provincial, etc. It goes for peanuts nowadays.

Part of it is the size of new homes/condos....those old tall china closets, grandfather clocks, etc. won't fit in many newer sleeker homes.

When my FIL died, he had a houseful of good stuff....his wife and he decorated their colonial home in the 1960s and 1970s (he was 91 at death in 2016). Other than items his children wanted, most of the big things went to charities, a few items were auctioned but the prices were far lower than they would have been 20 years ago. The auctioneer (we see him on Antiques Roadshow) told us that is just the way it is now.
Wow. I love that stuff. I guess it's time to start looking around.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,768,997 times
Antiques? Nope. Not interested. All those knick knacks? Oh hell no! I don't need a house full of dust collectors. My parents know that none of us want their stuff. There's a few dishes my sister used to want. There's a rocking chair I want because it belonged to my great grandmother and I used to love rocking in that chair. That's all the 3 of us kids want.

I know it's my responsibility to clean out the house. My siblings want nothing to do with it. So my plan is to bring in a dumpster. Pitch whatever needs to be pitched. Donate whatever can be donated. Anything that may have value will be dealt with by an estate seller. That's it. No sitting on the stuff for 3 years. No crying over everything. My parents are hoarders so I expect to find gross things. For YEARS there were a couple of dead cardinals in the freezer in the basement. So I can only imagine what I'm in for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or