U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 PM

10,532 posts, read 8,455,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I suspect that a great deal of the world's books -- maybe as many as 90% of them -- will never be opened again. I know people who move boxes of books from house to house to house without ever opening the box. There are warehouses full of old school textbooks. Publishers remainders. Library shelves jammed with books noone will ever check out. Used bookstores selling almost every book for a dime, nobody wants Alvin Toffler's "Future Shock", (there are ten in every Goodwill), or autobiographies of forgotten celebrities that sold millions, or old World Almanacs and Readers Digest condensed books...

But don't dare burn one, they're sacred.
True of Reader's Digest condensed books and outdated science textbooks and World Almanacs - but the International Book Project, based in Lexington, KY, will take almost anything else.

Look 'em up - they do great work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 04:44 PM

2,484 posts, read 1,081,267 times
I once helped after a library book sale and filled an entire dumpster with mass market paperbacks. And that barely made a dent in the leftover books. After everything was free the last hour of the sale.

In a town of about 10,000 people, too.

There are just too many books in the universe.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:03 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,572,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
If you don't have thrift stores like Salvation Army or Goodwill or local charity stores , look for antique shops or an antique mall.

That plastic stuff was called "BoontonWare" We had that in the 50s, in yellow. Was made from Melmac or Melamine.

You should use the pretty things you have. What are you saving them for? If they break, at least you got to use them instead of thinking they were useless dust collectors.
No, its a small town. There's one thrift shop, or was. Since the damage from the earthquake I'm not sure if its gone or not. There's no easy way to get transport OUT of town to the next biggest one. I love thrift stores, just going through them. I lost most of the stuff I didn't need at the time after I lost my apartment. I've rebuilt the stuff which matters, like my music. I'm very practical about cooking, and have good pans but the plate and spoon don't have to do more than function.

I've got ideas about fixing things up more, but money has to do more than get stuff I won't use much.

I have lots of pans and skillets. But I bought an iduction plate and the two which work on that get used most of the time.

I'd love to go spend an afternoon in a nice thrift store, and used to take the bus to them out in Callifornia where I supplied my household needs from them. And lots of interesting books, and nicknacks and the rest.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't figure out why people don't want pianos anymore. My friend had a nice piano and I put it on CL for her. Not a peep. Finally she gave it to her cleaning lady. A music school did inquire about it but decided they didn't have room for it after all.

I think one of the problems could have been the cost of moving a piano but people used to buy pianos all the time.

I've finally decided to ditch just about everything (not really). I'm getting rid of crystal goblets and most sterling silver pieces. I've even gotten rid of my mother's 1940s spatula and slotted spoon on ebay. Turned out they were a certain desirable brand so I didn't just donate them.

People want the stuff from the 1950s, the stuff I grew up with and now detest. I just hope some things from our era survive long enough to become desirable again. Some things were very well made and of quality design. Hope it doesn't all get thrown out!
Hey, if someone wants to give me a piano, I'll most certainly take it. The electronic one I got appears to only have part of its electronics working.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Just so you know, I don't think any of that Melamine stuff is microwave safe.
Corelle is an option that would be microwave safe, it is made from tempered glass I believe.
Corelle ware gets very hot when its in a microwave and will break. Its pre microwave tech. It is microwave safe, but it breaks easily and into a thousand little shards of glass. I'd prefer cheap plastic over the mess. When they break its maybe just in half.

I wish there was a version of the heavy plastic types still available since I don't want to have to handle a warm plate of dinner with kid gloves.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,371,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There is absolutely a difference between handcrafted furniture from the colonial era and something mass-produced in the 40s or 50s that people want to pose as antiques.
Of course... are the Early American items mentioned knock-offs or the real McCoy?

Early American is and has been quite marketable... even home made farm furnishing and not just pieces from the finest makers.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had some floppies that had short stories and other things I had written on them, so I bought a floppy reader for $15 that has a USB connector to plug into the computer. I was able to retrieve most of the documents, although a couple of the floppies could not be read.
I'm going through early chat boards to find all the pieces of my stories, and then doing an edit of mistakes, and saving a copy of each. And I'm uploading them to fanfiction.net. Currently the one where the Federation and allies LOST the Dominion war is being pieced back off old posts and reedited. It won a site award. I had copies of it, but they were on old laptops which bit the dust, and my backups dissapeared in moving.

I got a tablet with my new phone, this one free, and intend to use it for reading stories from the site where I don't have to sit and stare at my laptop in one place. And there are two older ones with stuff which needs to be rescued off them before they die.

I've also been looking for anything I really like of others who were writing then, and would like to save it all together by topic, in some electronic format and a copy in print.

The problem with archives which get larger and larger is the older stuff gets lost at the beginning of multiple pages of stories.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I had a similar experience with my piano, passed down from my mom. I sold it for $50 to a guy who wanted it for his niece, who was teaching her two little girls to play. As my mom had taught me and my sister to play, I didn't feel so bad about getting rid of it.

Wish I had it back now - I always said I wanted a place with room for a grand piano in the living room, and now I have one, even though it is a rental! I don't think one could be moved in though, the entrance has a weird configuration that is not conducive to moving in large furniture.
An older couple I know were lamenting no one wanted their 1930's upright piano... they had been trying to sell it and no luck then they tried to donate for a tax write-off and the organization said they would need to deliver... after hearing the tale of the piano for more than a year... I told them I would love to have it and would pick it up this Saturday... they didn't know what to say... kind of left them with a put up or shut up moment.

Anyway... I called them Friday night and said I would be there at 9 Saturday... they told me their daughter wanted it and was coming to get it... since they were giving it away... that was 6 years ago and it is still there... at least I don't have to hear about anymore

Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
True of Reader's Digest condensed books and outdated science textbooks and World Almanacs - but the International Book Project, based in Lexington, KY, will take almost anything else.

Look 'em up - they do great work.
I was really bummed when my Sister-In-Law went to the cabin and tossed the old 1952 Reader's Digest Almanac...

I wanted the next generation to have the joy of looking up the family name and seeing it in the book of US record holders...

One little book on the shelf wasn't in anyone's way... but she decided it was old and had to go...

My brother wants to redo the entire place... out with the 1950's chrome dinette set and 1950's plates and appliances... and the 1930's Electrolux...

That was until they had friends up who couldn't stop admiring it all... they are very well to do and love the 1950's decor... have a Chris Craft from the 50's and a 57 Corvette, etc...

Sometimes all it takes is someone interested in what you have to change a person's mind...

He said I guess it is old enough now that there are people that actually want it???

This is way off topic... I bought my first home, a 1922 Craftsman Bungalow with Bay Window, built in hutch, Cut Glass door knobs, original plumbing and high leg stove from the original owner... she was newly married and 18 when they bought the home brand new...

The home was dirty and dusty... she just couldn't do much the last 10 years and had cats...

Anyway... my friends were ready to come over for the demo party... fill the dumpster with all the junk and rip out the kitchen and bath.

Money was very tight... I was not going to be spending money I didn't have... so I went room by room cleaning, refinishing and painting.. replaced the broken sash cords etc... the home was like going back to 1922... it was a hit and cost next to nothing but my time.

When I eventually sold it.. it set a new high price for the neighborhood... and it was only because it was original and unmolested... some of the neighboring homes had been subject to several remodels and looked it!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:21 PM

8,122 posts, read 12,699,676 times
My MIL would like us to take her Hummels, Precious Moments figurines, etc. Haha. No thanks, but if she ever wants to unload that Seeburg jukebox, I'm in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or