Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 AM

155 posts, read 156,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't figure out why people don't want pianos anymore. My friend had a nice piano and I put it on CL for her. Not a peep. Finally she gave it to her cleaning lady. A music school did inquire about it but decided they didn't have room for it after all.

I think one of the problems could have been the cost of moving a piano but people used to buy pianos all the time.

I've finally decided to ditch just about everything (not really). I'm getting rid of crystal goblets and most sterling silver pieces. I've even gotten rid of my mother's 1940s spatula and slotted spoon on ebay. Turned out they were a certain desirable brand so I didn't just donate them.

People want the stuff from the 1950s, the stuff I grew up with and now detest. I just hope some things from our era survive long enough to become desirable again. Some things were very well made and of quality design. Hope it doesn't all get thrown out!
We got an "heirloom" piano once. Someone else in the family got a new one, and we got the "heirloom." It sat around the house for years and I once had a pianist pal take a look at it for tuning. His advice was to tune it every 3-4 months for a few years to get it to take a more permanent tune. Nobody really learned how to play it, but you could bang around on it, and the dog would howl. Somewhere along the way, our daughter laid claim to it and it was no longer possible to get rid of. We held on to it for more years until the day we finally had an opportunity to put it on a moving truck headed for the kid's place. I'm pretty sure it spent 20+ years here. About a year and a half later, they were having their roof redone and gave the crew $20 to throw the piano in their dumpster. If I ever lived life over, not having a piano would be on the list.

Fun aside, that's one of those things where maybe the need should come before the opportunity -- and I only say that because they're huge, weigh about 400 pounds and you'll never, ever move one on a whim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 07:12 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
My friends parents had a piano that was well cared for a respected... top shape...

My friends husband really wanted it and they reluctantly said OK... I moved it.

After the kids came along they ran out of space and moved it to the screened in sun room... the piano aged terribly in about 6 months... it warped and split.

The Father In Law is a quiet man... long career as an old school engineer and I could tell he was really hurt when I loaded it up and paid $40 dump fee to dispose of it... he never said anything but everything he had was impeccably maintained and cared for.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM

535 posts, read 343,339 times
Some people think their stuff and junk is worth so much. Sometimes, yes, but most of the time, no. My kids will probably ship my stuff to the thrift store. I am trying to give stuff to people away NOW. This way, I would have to pay someone to dispose of it later.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:08 PM

Unless you collect old cans of paint and other chemicals... a couple of phone calls and it can all be disposed of without more effort than lifting a finger.

I have a collection of vehicles... not really sure what will happen after my demise... I enjoy them and no one is gong to have to pay to get my 62 Corvette or 1905 Oldsmobile carted off...

Doubt anyone in the family will want them... storage would be a problem and leaving a restored collector vehicle under a tarp is asking for trouble.

50 vehicles with about half restored and insured... the rest are projects or parts...

I do like smaller collectables as they take much less room

Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
That’s where we ran into trouble: > 32 years worth of paint cans, sealers, stains, tung oil, boat bottom paint, strippers, household cleaners, etc., you name it, we had it. I ran an ad in Craigslist offering money to dispose of it legally. I found a painter making a trip to the county landfill/hazardous materials area to do his yearly drop off.

We could have done it ourselves, but didn’t have the time when we realized no one would touch the stuff.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
That’s where we ran into trouble: > 32 years worth of paint cans, sealers, stains, tung oil, boat bottom paint, strippers, household cleaners, etc., you name it, we had it. I ran an ad in Craigslist offering money to dispose of it legally. I found a painter making a trip to the county landfill/hazardous materials area to do his yearly drop off.

We could have done it ourselves, but didn’t have the time when we realized no one would touch the stuff.
A lot of that stuff goes bad after a year or two. When I moved into my house, the previous owners left a collection like that in the garage. I found one can of paint that matched the walls in the house. Opened it and found it was all separated and gunky. Later realized that every winter, this stuff would freeze and thaw multiple times. Useless.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,706 times
OP, generally concur. Mill gen and Z gen not into it.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
A lot of that stuff goes bad after a year or two. When I moved into my house, the previous owners left a collection like that in the garage. I found one can of paint that matched the walls in the house. Opened it and found it was all separated and gunky. Later realized that every winter, this stuff would freeze and thaw multiple times. Useless.
I got a few cans when I bought... the contents were no good but I took the can to dealer who asked me how many gallons I wanted... matched perfectly and glad to have it.

At work we have dumpsters... I have to keep them double locked... too many illegal attempts to dump toxic and building materials... we are responsible for everything placed for collection... they will still dumped in parking lot but at least this way we are incurring liability for toxics in the waster stream generated.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I got a few cans when I bought... the contents were no good but I took the can to dealer who asked me how many gallons I wanted... matched perfectly and glad to have it.

At work we have dumpsters... I have to keep them double locked... too many illegal attempts to dump toxic and building materials... we are responsible for everything placed for collection... they will still dumped in parking lot but at least this way we are incurring liability for toxics in the waster stream generated.
We had paint cans left here and while some were good, others were dried and we had the paint matched too. The big box stores sell additives to put in paint to dry it up and then it can be set out with the garbage. Cat litter works too, but again they both take time to work and harden the paint.

A guilty confession here. We dropped off one last load at Goodwill the night before leaving and were told they don’t take tennis racquets. What?!? We took back the one we brought, swung behind Burger King and put it in their dumpster and sped off like thieves in the night. All likely caught on a security camera.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:05 PM

535 posts, read 343,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Unless you collect old cans of paint and other chemicals... a couple of phone calls and it can all be disposed of without more effort than lifting a finger.

I have a collection of vehicles... not really sure what will happen after my demise... I enjoy them and no one is gong to have to pay to get my 62 Corvette or 1905 Oldsmobile carted off...

Doubt anyone in the family will want them... storage would be a problem and leaving a restored collector vehicle under a tarp is asking for trouble.

50 vehicles with about half restored and insured... the rest are projects or parts...

I do like smaller collectables as they take much less room
I bet there are younger people in your family who would want your vintage cars.
My husband has two classic cars....the kids are already asking for them. LOL.
You won't have any trouble getting rid of them. Start now with the least favorite ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement