U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 06:17 PM

35,422 posts, read 10,475,434 times

Advertisements

This brought to mind an article about how millenials don't want their parents' "stuff." They don't want their brown furniture, either LOL.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...=.eab05fe6dc0f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,932,559 times
Recently, beanie babies are getting snapped up fast at garage sales here in the Midwest.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,057,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
When we moved from a 2200sf 2 story home with basement to a 1700sf single story home w/o basement we sent about 1/2 of what we owned to auction.

We got a kick out of the auctioneers. They came and looked at what we sending to them and told us they would bring the "big truck". They did. And they filled it. And they brought the "smaller truck" the next day. We ended up bringing our barbecue grill with us because it wouldn't fit.

This after I made numerous trips to the landfill.
When my dad passed and we had to clean out his apt., my sister arranged with a local (to her) auction company to come and get his furniture (nothing special). They sent 3 men and a truck from around Worcester MA to almost Boston MA, loaded up and drove back. When we finally got the auction proceeds, we each got about $100. Figuring the auction company kept about 10%, I would say that was a losing proposition for them.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 PM

6,604 posts, read 3,738,816 times
It never even crossed my mind to make decisions on my possessions based on whether someone in the family would want them.

I'd say if they're useful items, or useful with nostalgia, other family members might want them. Or very valuable.

But if they're not used in today's society, sell them and get what you can. Otherwise, they're just clutter.

Things I got from my mother that I chose to take and keep include some antique oil lamps, an antique grandmother clock, some ceramic bowls that are useful, artwork that she painted, etc.

Things I got that are boxed up and I need to get rid of include copper items (salt & pepper shakers, fondue thing, pitcher, etc.), doodads. Useless to me and just take up space.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM

3,685 posts, read 1,864,831 times
Should I outlive my husband, I will contact an estate sale company and sell 90% of our possessions. They are burdensome to me, even now. He likes a homey feel to the house. I plan to get rid of all this junk. I may live in our house for a while, but look to move to a small condo or apartment. I do not have the skills or desire to keep up a 1900 sq foot home.

If I dont survive him, well I guess it will be his problem.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,442,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I guess that when we are both dead, it wont matter to us anymore.
At that point, it will not only not matter to you, you will know nothing about it. (your 3 sets of silver tableware, silver Navajo antique jewelry, and european jewelry)

So philosophically, the older one becomes in old age, the less possessions should probably matter because one will know nothing about them shortly.

I would probably bequeath the above items to someone who might enjoy them or sell them when you are quite elderly.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 PM

3,685 posts, read 1,864,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
At that point, it will not only not matter to you, you will know nothing about it. (your 3 sets of silver tableware and silver jewelry)

So philosophically, the older one becomes in old age, the less possessions should probably matter because one will know nothing about them shortly.
...we spend the first half of our life acquiring stuff; the second half getting rid of the stuff...

God made the world round so we couldn't seen too far down the road...

Old 02-03-2018, 10:40 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 4 days ago)

5,589 posts, read 6,689,295 times
Dishes and jewelry seem to be much more popular than my "stunning" 5 &1/4 inch floppy drive collection!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:42 PM

18,371 posts, read 20,099,207 times
I just get rid of stuff. Sell give away donate trash . In that order.

Some things Iíll keep but most things I get rid of. Iíve been selling all my old tools as I no longer do the field work I used to.
I get tired of clutter. I last year a relative died. There was a big house FULL of stuff. Hoarder stuff. They kept everything. We started selling and throwing stuff out. You name it it was there. 14 loads on a 16x8 trailer stacked three feet high. Old magazines, books, boxes of anything from old drapes, hundreds of VCR tapes. Hundreds.
Old folding chairs, plastic storage bins that were so brittle they shattered when you picked them up.
I took the toolboxes with the tools. Still had to go through them.

What I decided was Iím gonna go home and start cleaning up. And Iím slowly but surely doing it. Itís a sold give away donate trash. Other than a few things itís a if I havent used it in 12 months its going away. Because itís not needed.

Most of the ďcollectiblesĒ people have are not really worth much.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:56 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
At that point, it will not only not matter to you, you will know nothing about it. (your 3 sets of silver tableware, silver Navajo antique jewelry, and european jewelry)

I would probably bequeath the above items to someone who might enjoy them or sell them when you are quite elderly.
The jewelry at least would be wanted by someone. Why not put it up for sale after getting its worth, and know it went to someone who really wanted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or