U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:49 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times

Advertisements

Nobody wants that stuff anymore.....

Recently, a few young people were cleaning out their father's house. They came across their father's stamp collection. No one showed any interest and were ecstatic to get $300 and sold them to a neighbor.

Three of the stamps were sold at auction for over $25,000.

It was clear that someone wanted them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 01:56 PM

5,722 posts, read 8,788,278 times
I am sooooo glad my cousin's daughter drove 3/4 way across the country with fiancé and full size pickup to get a load of her great grandmother's furniture. And the bed her great grandfather was born in. All dark furniture, including a dresser that belonged to my other grandmother, no relation at all.

That made room in my house for her great grandfather's craftsman style desk. And some of my mom's Scandinavian furniture that's very trendy now - but who knows if it will have appeal when I am gone.

Grandmother's dark and supposedly valuable Gov Winthrop desk went to CA, and made room for a fairly common chiffarobe that a friend was delighted to give me - or maybe I bought it for $25. It's the same mid-brown as grandfather's desk and has much better functionality.

I'm typing this sitting at my grandmother's small desk. I'm not giving that up as it is something to remind me of her.

I'm sleeping in my Aunt Nancy's bed and store my clothes in a chest of drawers from my other grandfather. I just happened to be setting up a household when grandfather was downsizing to assisted living. Generations can be convenient that way.

Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 PM

23,923 posts, read 8,354,832 times
I sold just about all my gold jewelry about 5 yrs ago or more, gold was much higher then. I must have gotten over $700 for chains and earrings and kept 2 pair of my favorite gold earrings.

I have all my artwork from 2003 that I painted for 3 yrs and and give a painting away to a delivery person who remarks about my works. So far 3 are given away. Gives me joy, no money exchanged. When I'm gone, who paintings will go probably in the dump...my daughter doesn't want all my paintings.

And no one wants antiques as far as I know these days. Young people are into modern and Ikea stuff and not interested in antiques.

I have a bag of silver old coins and have been giving some to my grandson over the years and a lot still for him. They probably won't be worth that much in the end.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:59 PM

15,150 posts, read 19,808,585 times
Back in 1969, when my daughters were 3 and 4 years old, I happened to go into an antique shop and was enchanted by this painting -- mostly because the girls therein so resembled my own girls. I paid $25.00 for it and have kept it for almost 50 years now. It's not attractive to anyone but me and no one in my family wants it, so I've considered selling it now rather than making them deal with it when I'm gone. But I love it so much that I just havent been able to let go of it.

Edited to add a photo of my own girls. I took this photo @ 1971 (a couple of years after I bought the painting) but I hope you can see why I thought the painting reminded me of them.

The painting is on the left and the photo is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody wants that stuff anymore.....-painting-06-15-2009-002.jpg   Nobody wants that stuff anymore.....-my-girls.jpg  

Last edited by TFW46; 02-04-2018 at 08:17 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 08:04 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Back in 1969, when my daughters were 3 and 4 years old, I happened to go into an antique shop and was enchanted by this painting -- mostly because the girls therein so resembled my own girls. I paid $25.00 for it and have kept it for almost 50 years now. It's not attractive to anyone but me and no one in my family wants it, so I've considered selling it now rather than making them deal with it when I'm gone. But I love it so much that I just havent been able to let go of it.
Take it to Antiques Road Show if there is one scheduled for your area! I love it, btw.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Take it to Antiques Road Show if there is one scheduled for your area! I love it, btw.

Oh, thank you SO much. Your kind comment made my day. Heck, it even made my decade to know someone else likes it.

Last edited by TFW46; 02-04-2018 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-04-2018, 08:07 PM

1,643 posts, read 976,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love antiques, especially from the Belle Epoque and Art Nouveau era. It surprises me people want that mid-century junk that I grew up with and detest, but to each their own.

I'll have to start hitting some estate sales and auctions since it seems to be the common thought in this thread that you can barely give antiques away now.
Me, too. I even have a small poster by Alphonse Mucha, the Art Noveau artist extraordinaire. I also have lost of oak furniture, esp tiger oak. Our daughter isn't interested and says her friends aren't either. But, we have a small cabin on our property that i furnished with a brass bed, a small oak table, a small oak desk and a pine dresser. There is also an oak rocker and an oak swivel desk chair. Prople who see the furnishings, just love the look from all generations. So, who knows?

I figure that i used them, got my use from them so, rather than try to sell for as much as i can, i will either give away or sell cheaply. I used to think it was worth something but it isnt so had an attitude change.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 PM

4,689 posts, read 2,329,539 times
Quote:

Edited to add a photo of my own girls. I took this photo @ 1971 (a couple of years after I bought the painting) but I hope you can see why I thought the painting reminded me of them.

I think the painting and the photo should stay together. It means a lot ...to you; it is symbolic of so much; therefore, it is priceless.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I think the painting and the photo should stay together. It means a lot ...to you; it is symbolic of so much; therefore, it is priceless.

Thanks again. You're right in that it's priceless -- to me, anyway. I guess I hate the thought that my girls might just throw it away when I'm gone. (They both think it's fairly hideous.) I'd want it to go to someone who'd enjoy it -- if not as much as I have, at least somewhat.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:21 PM

5,031 posts, read 2,315,221 times
Quote:

Now that’s my one soft spot ... pictures of somebody’s child(ren).

I must be some sort of magnet for them but I’ve got around 10 pictures of children that I have no idea who they are or where they came from. I’ll go around & ask everybody at home “who is this?” ... And nobody ever knows.

There are two of them that Mac says “I dunno; could be my niece” but other than that, I have no clue. Two of them are of a different little boy & both were found outside, in front of the house, just blowing around. The first one was about 8 years ago, the second about 3 years ago.

I don’t want them, I just can’t bear to throw away a picture of somebody’s... anybody’s child. So they sit. With my pile of papers & pictures. They will probably still be there when somebody has to clean out after me. And then it can be their turn to walk around asking “Do you know who this is ? Are they one of us?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or