U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
You BOTH made a deal and she needs to keep to her side of the bargain. The way I see it it's not fair for her to backpedal on this or issue an ultimatum. If she is worried about what happens to the cars if something should happen to you, then take that worry out of the equation. Perhaps some couple counseling because this may be more than just cars. Does your wife really think her ultimatum will pave the way to a happy life with someone who will be unhappy and filled with resentment.
I agree. She needs to keep her side of it

Classic cars are easy to sell.

She just doesn't like that you spend so much time on that. My roommate has three cars in the garage. Their toys are just bigger i guess.

I would have no problem selling them off if he were to expire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:24 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Maybe you should find a way to have the cars taken care of in the event of your death. For instance, in Ohio is there some person or company who, immediately upon your death, would assume ownership/management of whatever your stock of cars is at the time, with a modest amount of the funds to be turned over to your wife? Then she wouldn't have to deal with it.

Yes...put them in your will and let your chosen executor sell them...then she has nothing to do.

Don't stop what you love!

Old 04-29-2019, 07:29 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
She has our granddaughter twice a day 5 days a week morning and afternoon! Believe me she is the happiest person on earth with taking care of her!! The point is she does not want to deal with the sale of the cars if something should happen to me! These cars have been a thorn in her side even in ohio! I gave up alot to come here and I am going to hold this deal thru! Fred
As already suggested set up a contingency plan for dealing with the cars if something happens to you. Reassure your wife. If that doesn't settle it it wasn't the real problem.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:33 PM

7,101 posts, read 2,916,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Four months ago, Fred posted that he wanted out of the marriage:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/54074497-post86.html

He "went along anyway" ungraciously and has been complaining about it ever since. I don't call that holding up one end of the deal.
Uh oh. Sorry OP. How often we forget that the web has a looooooong memory.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:38 PM

1,186 posts, read 352,375 times
For heaven's sake..... if she can't figure out how to sell/donate/give away classic or non classic cars how will she manage to settle the rest of the estate? And seriously, wouldn't your children help her?

As long as this is a hobby that you can afford I think she should stick to the initial agreement. And I am a woman, so I'm not basing my opinion on men need to stick together.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 8,030 times
Cant really recall me saying that I personally wanted out of my marriage? I love it when people spin things around! We actually get along reasonably well considering we are together all the time!Everything we do we do together or with our children and grandchild.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,642,138 times
Quote:
Cant really recall me saying that I personally wanted out of my marriage? I love it when people spin things around! We actually get along reasonably well considering we are together all the time!Everything we do we do together or with our children and grandchild.
How reasonable is it to demand you make a choice between her and your hobby? How can you be together all the time when you take extended trips to Ohio?

I go there mid may and return to jersey in mid september. I do go back several times in the summer for holidays and birthdays.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,316,043 times
I think I remember this from a few years back. All your wife wants to do is babysit and be a grandma and that doesn't make you happy. You already raised your kids and that ship has sailed. You want fun and she wants kids. I think you did the right thing. Keep the cars and do what makes you happy.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:30 PM

7,633 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Quote:
What is your interpretation of I really think we are wasting our time staying married!

Old 04-30-2019, 02:25 AM

1,068 posts, read 633,147 times
Quote:
She said to me either the cars or me!
let her go Joe...keep the cars..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or