U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:31 PM

4,004 posts, read 3,228,368 times

Advertisements

This has been going on for a while.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...nths-year.html

If its truly about being worried about selling the cars if you croak, that solution is simple. Just have in your will that you will donate to a museum that would want them. Easy. If thats the problem....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 03:58 PM

2,247 posts, read 560,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
ADVICE?? Thanks Fred
Don't give up your classic cars. Get a new wife.

Personally, I'm into art restoration - and the art I restore is 1950's-era and earlier Jaguars.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM

1,076 posts, read 813,075 times
Speaking as a lifelong classic car lover, ran the drag strip back when women could only compete against women, a life-long trail horse rider, and my current husband STILL has a bracket racer that he built himself from the ground up --- Here's my 72 yr old female take on the whole subject

It sounds to me as if there WAS and is already " trouble in River City". I don't think the two of you have truly gotten along for quite some time --- 30 years in the same house or not. I think if you turn the radio off, get on the creeper, roll under your favorite classic, and change the oil, you will give yourself an honest appraisal of your marital issues -- which there ARE issues

When my current DH and I started dating (I had been on my own 15 years), I let him know my horses and dogs would stay with me come Heck or High Water -- if he didn't like it, tough cookies, there's the road. That was 17 years ago, those dogs have passed, I have a couple more. I have buried three horses and when my last two pass on, that will be the end of my lifetime of horse ownership.

Meaning, if your wife of 30 years is suddenly saying "me or the cars", you might ask yourself why, and also if you are willing to keep the cars instead of your wife. The two of you are already more-or-less separated -- if you're not doing any in-depth talking, you need to bring the issues to the table as something is wrong and maybe it can be fixed , while you still keep a couple cars

Best wishes

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,202,057 times
Quote:
Okay! here goes my story! We lived in ohio for 30 plus years in the same house then sold it and moved to be closer to kids in north jersey.I really hated the thought of moving here and still do. My wife and me made a deal that I could go back every summer to Ohio so that I could have my classic cars to attend to . I go there mid may and return to jersey in mid september. I do go back several times in the summer for holidays and birthdays. My wife now wants me to give up my hobby because she is afraid if I died of a heart attack she would have a hard time dealing with the cars! So I should give up living because she is afraid of me dying RIGHT? She said to me either the cars or me! I really enjoy buying and selling some of these cars and I do fairly well at it! I usually have only 2 or 3 at a time and move in and out of them! I really cannot stand living here but have done so to keep peace and now she wants more! I really feel to donate these cars to a museum if it bothers her so much with selling them! ADVICE?? Thanks Fred

^^^^ This is exactly why my wife is now my EX wife. My car collection was always "Those damn cars", and she would have loved nothing more than for me to sell them all and buy her more shoes, to add to her collection that took up two closets. Some women simply refuse to let us enjoy the things we work hard for.

Now, I buy as many as I like, and the only "person" I have to answer to is my cat, and he only cares if his dish is full of food.

Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 AM

10,312 posts, read 11,237,378 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but it occurs to me that the problem here might not be limited to the cars.

If you want to stay married start seeing a marriage counselor. If you don't you already know what you should do. The fact that you want to take a four-month vacation from your wife every year is not encouraging.

Meanwhile, I do think the idea of making arrangements in Ohio for the disposition of the cars in the event of your death is a good one. Obviously when you die they will be part of your estate, but making arrangements for selling them might make things easier.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 AM

2,698 posts, read 1,634,044 times
I don't think I would have agreed to ever move to NJ. Perhaps someplace closer, like Pennsylvania, where you'd still be able to keep your cars with you and be closer to the grandkids.

Hobbies are important. It's the people that don't have any hobbies as they get older that cause trouble for their families, my father had no hobbies and no friends, when his wife died he had no idea what to do with himself, except to make a ton of horrible decisions.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:49 PM

10,757 posts, read 21,390,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Just out of my own curiosity Fred -- what kind of Classic Cars are we talking about here ?? Mid-Sixties Caddys ?? Detroit Muscle Cars ?? 3-Window Ford Coupes ??
I'd also like to know what kind of cars he's talking about. A few others would also like to know but he's avoided the question for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I would view the situation thusly. One Classic Car is a good hobby. Two Classic Cars is a luxury. Three Classics is overkill and probably what leads to the scenario at hand. It's been my experience that New Jersey has a very active Classic Car Scene. We used to go to a major show every weekend from May til October. There were weeks during the high summer where you could find a local get-together every night of the week.
The Car Heads spend the"off-season" in their garages doing Car Head Things to their Cars......then roll them out the first nice weekend to blow the dust off of them.

If it were me, I would downsize my collection a little and build a detached garage in my New Jersey backyard.
Man Cave, Baby !!
You're right, there are a lot of classic cars in Jersey. I think Fred just doesn't want to leave his friends in Ohio. I wish he'd also tell us what type of housing they have and whether they have a house they bought where he could build a garage to house his collection.

He mentioned going down to Ocean City but didn't say where in NJ he lives. I'm sure a few of us could give him better input if we knew where in Jersey he is.

Back when I dated a guy with a Shelby, we used to do all sorts of car shows in Jersey, we also made a trip to the Catskills and a huge car rally in Rutland Vermont called RAVE. It was so cool being in a group of 10+ old Mustangs

Quote:
cars time 3 equals 600.00 not the point at all fluffy! And i do go back for 10 days in the end of may and 10 days in august! for my wives birthday and a week at ocean city nj with the whole family

Old 05-01-2019, 01:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 770,265 times
I'm urgin' to know what kind of cars Fred has in his collection. Please, Fred, tell us.

New Jersey has Car Shows......you can start with Lead East, which bills itself as the World's Largest Oldies Fest and Car Show.

https://www.leadeast.net/

Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 8,053 times
okay I will tell you! 1965 pontiac 2 plus 2 conv. 1972 olds 442 conv 1965 olds starfire 2005 chevy SSR stored in ohio in a concrete barn I live in North Jersey in Union NJ just outside of NYC in an apartment Thats about it!!

Old 05-01-2019, 02:06 PM

538 posts, read 311,771 times
Quote:
okay I will tell you! 1965 pontiac 2 plus 2 conv. 1972 olds 442 conv 1965 olds starfire 2005 chevy SSR stored in ohio in a concrete barn I live in North Jersey in Union NJ just outside of NYC in an apartment Thats about it!!
Nice, I love the 2+2 and the starfire...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or