U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 11:34 AM

15 posts, read 8,080 times

Advertisements

Okay! here goes my story! We lived in ohio for 30 plus years in the same house then sold it and moved to be closer to kids in north jersey.I really hated the thought of moving here and still do. My wife and me made a deal that I could go back every summer to Ohio so that I could have my classic cars to attend to . I go there mid may and return to jersey in mid september. I do go back several times in the summer for holidays and birthdays. My wife now wants me to give up my hobby because she is afraid if I died of a heart attack she would have a hard time dealing with the cars! So I should give up living because she is afraid of me dying RIGHT? She said to me either the cars or me! I really enjoy buying and selling some of these cars and I do fairly well at it! I usually have only 2 or 3 at a time and move in and out of them! I really cannot stand living here but have done so to keep peace and now she wants more! I really feel to donate these cars to a museum if it bothers her so much with selling them! ADVICE?? Thanks Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 11:44 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,163,105 times
Maybe you should find a way to have the cars taken care of in the event of your death. For instance, in Ohio is there some person or company who, immediately upon your death, would assume ownership/management of whatever your stock of cars is at the time, with a modest amount of the funds to be turned over to your wife? Then she wouldn't have to deal with it.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 AM

1,870 posts, read 3,450,166 times
Nothing wrong with you Fred, your wife however...
So if you sold the Ohio place, where are the cars? Is there no room in Jersey for the cars?

Old 04-29-2019, 12:07 PM

651 posts, read 168,902 times
My wife used to tell me she was going to bury me in my classic car, the one I've had since high school.

She's long gone... but I still have the car!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:19 PM

15 posts, read 8,080 times
There is no way I would ever want to drive my old cars around here! I live just outside of NYC! Enough said ! plus storage is over 200.00 a month! Paying 25.00 in ohio

Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM

7,796 posts, read 4,784,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
There is no way I would ever want to drive my old cars around here! I live just outside of NYC! Enough said ! plus storage is over 200.00 a month! Paying 25.00 in ohio
That's an interesting dynamic for a marriage.

You have to be apart from your wife all that time to save $175/month.

But you do you, Fred!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:35 PM

5,826 posts, read 4,868,767 times
Hubby's a classic car person, so I get it. As a wife, I've never told him he had to do anything with his cars (or his motorcycles, for that matter), but I'm sure she doesn't like you being gone 4 months a year. I know I wouldn't be too keen on that. Perhaps you can find SOMEWHERE closer to store and show them.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,163,105 times
But they made a deal!!! He moved somewhere he didn't want to go and her compromise was that he could do his cars in the summer.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 PM

298 posts, read 151,606 times
Default ...Hot Rod Lincoln...

Fred Jernejec,
I have only one really hot car - a 2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic 6-speed. Fortunately, she is not a problem for my wife. I do know that if I had to give up Kiki outside of dire circumstances, it would drain much of my joy. Hot cars and RocknRoll are two of the great joys in my life. My wife shares neither one, but does not compel me to abandon either one.
Your marriage should not have to come down to an inanimate object[s]. There is more than cars here. I suggest you both see a counselor over this and be very open about both your feelings.
Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:46 PM

651 posts, read 168,902 times
Hey ladies - wouldn't you agree that allowing your husband a hobby involving a Body by Fisher is much better than if he was obsessed with a body by Chynna?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or