U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM

21,189 posts, read 11,814,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
She has our granddaughter twice a day 5 days a week morning and afternoon! Believe me she is the happiest person on earth with taking care of her!! The point is she does not want to deal with the sale of the cars if something should happen to me! These cars have been a thorn in her side even in ohio! I gave up alot to come here and I am going to hold this deal thru! Fred
If worrying about selling them is truly her only concern, then there has to be a way to designate someone else to deal with that in the unfortunate event it becomes necessary.

But I have to think there is more going on here, esp. since you are saying that she didn't like you having the cars even before the move. It's almost like she sees them as competition for your love, time, attention, money, etc.

It seems like a few sessions with a counselor couldn't hurt to try to sort this all out, and make sure that both of you can be happy with what you are both putting into and getting out of this relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:22 PM

13,689 posts, read 8,598,131 times
Is there really a problem here?
She makes his life miserable, but I say she does that only because he lets her. She agreed to the deal, so he goes to Ohio. Then he comes back, just like he said. I don't think she's worried about selling the cars; I think she wants him to change his behavior. Furthermore, I think she has been doing this for a very long time.

Let her yowl.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:51 PM

7,707 posts, read 4,738,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If worrying about selling them is truly her only concern, then there has to be a way to designate someone else to deal with that in the unfortunate event it becomes necessary.

But I have to think there is more going on here, esp. since you are saying that she didn't like you having the cars even before the move. It's almost like she sees them as competition for your love, time, attention, money, etc.
Yeah, and saw that before she wanted to move to New Jersey. That's the only way this makes sense.

Who wouldn't want to care for a trusting child and be the center of her world five days a week? When was the last time she was the center of Fred's world?

Quote:
It seems like a few sessions with a counselor couldn't hurt to try to sort this all out, and make sure that both of you can be happy with what you are both putting into and getting out of this relationship.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM

17,873 posts, read 8,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Where do I find guys that like old cars, planes and boats?!
At small airports, the marina and car shows. I know guys that do all three!

Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 PM

21,919 posts, read 14,414,141 times
I think you two need a marriage counselor.

But what provision have you made for the cars, should you become incapacitated, or die? This happens to all of us.

I wonder if your wife resents the money you spent on your hobby all the the years you did it? Sure you sold some, but have you made or lost money overall? And did you treat your cars with more time and respect than you did your wife?

You two need to see a marriage counselor.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM

4,446 posts, read 2,621,737 times
Alls I'll say is happy wife=happy life.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,050,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
There is no way I would ever want to drive my old cars around here! I live just outside of NYC! Enough said ! plus storage is over 200.00 a month! Paying 25.00 in ohio
What's it cost to maintain two households for four months each year? I totally understand your position, but that's a weak argument.

I'd assume your collection has some value. You could probably arrange a consignment deal right now for after your death. Your wife would need only to call the company to go pick up the cars. Let her know the approximate values so that she knows she's not getting ripped off. Or make arrangements with a trusted friend in the local car community to handle the sales after you pass for some type of consideration. Have a lawyer draw up some type of contract and she'd just need to wait for the check to arrive.

Or just will them to the kids.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM

12,127 posts, read 6,705,658 times
Make some arrangements as has been posted then tell her it's all taken care of, she won't have to deal with it. Then she should be happy.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM

1,367 posts, read 769,637 times
Duplicate Post, sorry

Old 04-29-2019, 03:24 PM

1,367 posts, read 769,637 times
Just out of my own curiosity Fred -- what kind of Classic Cars are we talking about here ?? Mid-Sixties Caddys ?? Detroit Muscle Cars ?? 3-Window Ford Coupes ??

I would view the situation thusly. One Classic Car is a good hobby. Two Classic Cars is a luxury. Three Classics is overkill and probably what leads to the scenario at hand. It's been my experience that New Jersey has a very active Classic Car Scene. We used to go to a major show every weekend from May til October. There were weeks during the high summer where you could find a local get-together every night of the week.
The Car Heads spend the"off-season" in their garages doing Car Head Things to their Cars......then roll them out the first nice weekend to blow the dust off of them.

If it were me, I would downsize my collection a little and build a detached garage in my New Jersey backyard.
Man Cave, Baby !!

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 04-29-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or