Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 PM

647 posts, read 1,663,111 times

Advertisements

This is by far one of my favorite forums on this site. I always find the insight very helpful and it always gives me something to think about as I ponder retirement.

My biggest question about retirement, which I have to figure out for myself is when will it be time. A little about me.

I turn 45 in a couple weeks and am currently in the Wisconsin Retirement System. If I work in it for 10 more years (retire at 55) I will have been in the system for 30 years. My current income is in the 60k range and increases a couple percent each year. My wife is 10 yrs older, currently making in the 30k range. She doesn't have a pension. If we both retire at the same time she would be 65 and more than likely be using her Social Security and would probably retire full time. For me, I'm thinking I would retire part-time and work somewhere where insurance would be offered for me. A couple things that I need to consider is if I can afford to retire before the maximum benefit age of 62. I think at age 55 this would be about 90% of the maximum, figuring out what this will be at 90%, how much my wife will get for Social Security, how much my insurance will be, and all that other good stuff. We definitely want to get out of Wisconsin and move to a warmer climate, close to the ocean.

I just wanted to chime in here as I'm a long time lurker and thank you all for giving me things to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 04:54 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
This is by far one of my favorite forums on this site. I always find the insight very helpful and it always gives me something to think about as I ponder retirement.

My biggest question about retirement, which I have to figure out for myself is when will it be time. A little about me.

I turn 45 in a couple weeks and am currently in the Wisconsin Retirement System. If I work in it for 10 more years (retire at 55) I will have been in the system for 30 years. My current income is in the 60k range and increases a couple percent each year. My wife is 10 yrs older, currently making in the 30k range. She doesn't have a pension. If we both retire at the same time she would be 65 and more than likely be using her Social Security and would probably retire full time. For me, I'm thinking I would retire part-time and work somewhere where insurance would be offered for me. A couple things that I need to consider is if I can afford to retire before the maximum benefit age of 62. I think at age 55 this would be about 90% of the maximum, figuring out what this will be at 90%, how much my wife will get for Social Security, how much my insurance will be, and all that other good stuff. We definitely want to get out of Wisconsin and move to a warmer climate, close to the ocean.

I just wanted to chime in here as I'm a long time lurker and thank you all for giving me things to consider.
Your HR people should be able to you what your percentile target would be at age 55.

A quick google, and I found this.

Projecting Your Monthly Benefit - ETF Wisconsin

You and the wife can sign up for the online SSA calculators now, which give projected calculations.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

Old 04-24-2019, 05:03 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Your HR people should be able to you what your percentile target would be at age 55.

A quick google, and I found this.

Projecting Your Monthly Benefit - ETF Wisconsin

You and the wife can sign up for the online SSA calculators now, which give projected calculations.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/estimator.html

Absolutely right.

And, after getting the Wisconsin Retirement System calculator and the SSA calculator projections, plug the results into the FIRE Calc https://firecalc.com/ . The different tabs at the top of the page will allow you to run different scenarios and assumptions.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:08 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:

If you retire from the state wouldn't you get insurance as a retiree? Not many part time jobs offer insurance.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If you retire from the state wouldn't you get insurance as a retiree? Not many part time jobs offer insurance.
Are you talking about health insurance? Pension plans don't necessarily offer that as a benefit. Mine certainly does not.
Now, if I retired early (prior to Medicare age) then I could purchase health insurance though my employer until Medicare kicked in.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
My wife's pension is part of the Michigan Office of Retirement Services. They offer seminars a few times each year to provide information to employees and spouses of employees regarding future benefits. My recommendation is to seek out if Wisconsin offers similar seminars. If so, plan on attending a few of them!

Even though each of these Michigan ORS seminars are specifically identified as being for either New Employees, Long Range Retirees (i.e. 10 years out), Short Term Retirees (5 years out), or Immediate Retirees (less than 12 months), many attendees apparently cannot read (!) and there is always one or two couples who do not fit the description of the intended focus and insist on commandeering the entire seminar to answer their own specific questions, sharing far too much personal financial info to the group of 60-100 people in the process.

Maddening, but still the best way to start to learn the intricacies of the process and benefits if you attend three or four of them as you are approaching retirement. Scheduling a One-on-One meeting with the system experts is always HIGHLY recommended by the presenters at these seminars.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 04-25-2019 at 04:25 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 04:47 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:

No problem. I am here to serve and protect.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If I remember correctly I would get insurance if I retired at age 62. From 62-65 I would be covered with health insurance. I don't really want to work until 62 full time though.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
HC you have a few options (at the moment)

1) ACA offers subsdizes and if Married filing joint, you can make up to $65,800 / yr at the moment and qualify for subsidizes. (State specific on available plans) My current income tax free state with coastline offers a subsidized $3.31 monthly premium for (2) for a $15k deductible HMO plan (Kaiser) with HSA.

2) There are the USA Healthcare sharing networks (not insurance but has worked for many of my family and friends ~$300 / month.
https://wellkeptwallet.com/health-sharing-plans/

3) Medivacations (10m people / yr get HC overseas. ) https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

Retire early, retire often. (Get your pension to 90+ % and 'hit the road' IMHO)

Old 04-25-2019, 11:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
If I remember correctly I would get insurance if I retired at age 62. From 62-65 I would be covered with health insurance. I don't really want to work until 62 full time though.
In many cases it is a set age OR when you fully vest. If you have 30 years, I doubt they’d make you work until 62 after that point. That said, in many cases you pay the full premium instead of a subsidized premium, so it can still be quite pricy. However, it is usually better coverage than what is in the ACA and you’d presumably just pay for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement