Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 06:31 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Anyway, per your request, thread name changed to "BDL's Retirement Adventures, an ongoing thread". Let me know if that wording is not acceptable.
Thanks so much, Volosong! I am so touched that people are interested!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
Start a blog. It is the right thing to do in this case.
A word to the wise. Not everyone [in real life] wants to hear that you and I are retired. Yours and my joy is not everyone's good news. Especially those our age working two jobs. Whether true or not, a number of working people see this as bragging. Gauge your audience. I have been retired a month now and I picked up on this quickly.
Now if someone is asking...that is another thing.
Start a blog.
Enjoy your retirement.

I suppose this is true of some people but I'm not one of them. I admit to being a tad envious, since I will never be able to retire...unless something REALLY bad happens to me!...but I am always happy to hear that others can and do. I accepted my lot a long time ago but I am always interested in BDL's 'adventures'. She is going to have a great time and enjoy it. Can't wait to read 'the rest of the story'.

Oh, and I'm only working one job. They couldn't pay me enough to work TWO!

Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 PM

I thought that the poster meant not everyone *outside of this forum/in real life* wants to hear about retirement. I mean, after all, this is the Retirement forum, it would be unfortunate for someone to take part who doesn't want to hear about retirement.

But in daily life, yeah, good point.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Now I feel obligated to report engagingly on adventures, and am drawing a blank. Maybe "process" is a more accurate word.

I have ended my official "week of veg," although am sure I still have some serious sleeping to do. I notice that I am spending more time online talking with RL friends and online because I am feeling the absence of those coworker conversations. I am not missing the work and as far as a schedule goes, not getting dressed and sleeping on and off and hanging around online feels like days off from working nights.

I ordered a pizza delivered the other day and said my usual, gesturing to my robe and slippers, "Please excuse me, I work nights." Beats telling them I have the flu or something but it's no longer true. Might be time to exert a shred of discipline and get dressed in the morning. I feel like a guy spending a week in a hunting cabin and not shaving or anything.

It feels good. It should not become a habit for too long.

The moving people are coming over Wed. to assess my little bunch of stuff (about the equivalent of a small 2-bed apartment). I have felt overwhelmed by the packing process and am throwing my hands up and paying the movers to pack.

As much as I look forward to a new life in a new place (or fear a "same old" in a new place) I am somewhat anxious about the day I realize I actually did it.

I would continue to like to hear from people who did move to a new place, especially if done so without a "we" involved. I try to remember that a relationship has its own issues, to put it mildly, but it does seem if you go with someone compatible, you take a lot of what you need with you to the new place. Am I over-romanticizing companionship?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,205 times
BDL--
Keep posting here about your adventures thru the process. I like your writing style.
And remember -- this is the website that can go 20 pages on "When should I claim Social Security?!?"

Nobody reads the Blogs anyway.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
BDL--
Keep posting here about your adventures thru the process. I like your writing style.
And remember -- this is the website that can go 20 pages on "When should I claim Social Security?!?"
Ha,true about Social Security! I do aspire to be more interesting than page #11 of that discussion, then, we all should.

I really appreciate having a place to discuss many retirement thoughts and issues where no one is offended by the fact that I am retired. Former coworkers,well, they are all either avoiding the subject or are too young. Friends from outside work (the few that I have) are either too young or in the thick of career and stuff. One friend with a fascinating job (making films for NOVA) is avoiding the question, but also really enjoys her work and fears depression if she stops. Everyone has their issues, of course, and it's not always an appropriate topic, so here I am with this group, where it's always appropriate.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
This is great to retitle and keep adding as retirement goes on. It is also easier for people to find. Just a suggestion, but you can also add, as a list, your other threads as a reference for those who may not be aware of them but may want to read them. Happy retirement!

Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I've moved a few times. Never been part of a 'we' or 'us'.

My moves haven't been as long distance as you're doing-basically have stayed in north central PA. I love it here, most of the time anyway. Grew up in western NY, about 30 miles from Niagara Falls but never felt at home there. I do here and have no desire to leave the area. Fortunately it's a low cost of living area so it's doable.

I thoroughly enjoy your posts.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Now I feel obligated to report engagingly on adventures, and am drawing a blank. Maybe "process" is a more accurate word.

I have ended my official "week of veg," although am sure I still have some serious sleeping to do. I notice that I am spending more time online talking with RL friends and online because I am feeling the absence of those coworker conversations. I am not missing the work and as far as a schedule goes, not getting dressed and sleeping on and off and hanging around online feels like days off from working nights.

I ordered a pizza delivered the other day and said my usual, gesturing to my robe and slippers, "Please excuse me, I work nights." Beats telling them I have the flu or something but it's no longer true. Might be time to exert a shred of discipline and get dressed in the morning. I feel like a guy spending a week in a hunting cabin and not shaving or anything.

It feels good. It should not become a habit for too long.

The moving people are coming over Wed. to assess my little bunch of stuff (about the equivalent of a small 2-bed apartment). I have felt overwhelmed by the packing process and am throwing my hands up and paying the movers to pack.

As much as I look forward to a new life in a new place (or fear a "same old" in a new place) I am somewhat anxious about the day I realize I actually did it.

I would continue to like to hear from people who did move to a new place, especially if done so without a "we" involved. I try to remember that a relationship has its own issues, to put it mildly, but it does seem if you go with someone compatible, you take a lot of what you need with you to the new place. Am I over-romanticizing companionship?
From reading the forums, you know companionship goes either way. It can be easier to get spmething done with two, unless you both think the other one is doing it. I love having DH’s companionship, but my sister who is three years younger than me just broke off with a younger boyfriend. He “was too needy.” She likes living in her own house and being independent. I don’t see that changing, she’s happy with herself.

Keep posting, this is great for you and us.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
BDL--

Agree! I find blogs boring and don't read any, but I also like your writing style, BDL, and read all your posts.

LOL about the 20 pages of SS stuff. And if people don't want to hear about retirement, don't hang out on the Retirement Forum

I've been several times to your new town, BDL, and you will love it there. I think there has been a thread on "Moving alone to a new town" but we can always start another! I've done it all the way across the country a few times when single. Not for a job---"just because".

Congratulations ---I've done night shifts too and cannot believe you held on that long!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement