Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:27 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times

Advertisements

OMG do start a blog. I have 15 more years before I retire and I think the first month I'll sleep. Id like to be retired right now. So yeah, I read you vicariously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've been several times to your new town, BDL, and you will love it there....

Can you tell me more? Like when you were there, for what? It is changing as we speak and in a good way- yes, gentrification, but with good values for community, sustainability. I have a lot of hope for it as a place and as a community for me. Obviously.

Congratulations ---I've done night shifts too and cannot believe you held on that long!!!
Just barely held on, with health consequences looming and a collapse of energy overall. At least I've lost my night shift pallor. Rosy cheeks, and so on.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Glad you decided to post your experiences, I enjoy reading them.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Now I feel obligated to report engagingly on adventures, and am drawing a blank. Maybe "process" is a more accurate word.

I have ended my official "week of veg," although am sure I still have some serious sleeping to do. I notice that I am spending more time online talking with RL friends and online because I am feeling the absence of those coworker conversations. I am not missing the work and as far as a schedule goes, not getting dressed and sleeping on and off and hanging around online feels like days off from working nights.

I ordered a pizza delivered the other day and said my usual, gesturing to my robe and slippers, "Please excuse me, I work nights." Beats telling them I have the flu or something but it's no longer true. Might be time to exert a shred of discipline and get dressed in the morning. I feel like a guy spending a week in a hunting cabin and not shaving or anything.

It feels good. It should not become a habit for too long.

The moving people are coming over Wed. to assess my little bunch of stuff (about the equivalent of a small 2-bed apartment). I have felt overwhelmed by the packing process and am throwing my hands up and paying the movers to pack.

As much as I look forward to a new life in a new place (or fear a "same old" in a new place) I am somewhat anxious about the day I realize I actually did it.

I would continue to like to hear from people who did move to a new place, especially if done so without a "we" involved. I try to remember that a relationship has its own issues, to put it mildly, but it does seem if you go with someone compatible, you take a lot of what you need with you to the new place. Am I over-romanticizing companionship?
It can be a lot of pressure but I think you can do it.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Though some older people report needing less sleep, I find I need more sleep to feel well. No naps at all. Just a longer sleep at night.

After reading about couples in retirement (and just thinking about it) I'm often really glad and happy that I'm in retirement without a spouse. Maybe you'll arrive at that same conclusion! Or you might meet a companion in your new Colorado town!

But if you do not, you'll find that life is full of things to be interested in, many of which you have enumerated.

No need to worry about moving to a new town. It's a snap actually. You have all the skills you need to make a life and live a life - it's obvious from your writings... and from how you even had a new house built for yourself.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-05-2018 at 07:58 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 01:13 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
BDL, I’ve followed your posts on & off since I was “involuntary retired” (read laid off) a few years go. It’s been interesting following your adventures regarding Colorado & your plans to make it home. You have a very engaging, easygoing writing style. I’m going to keep reading.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:29 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times
As many others have said, I too enjoy reading your posts BDL and your engaging writing style. Please keep on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
My dream is to go to a science fiction con and wear the black nightbird outfit and sleep late days and stay up all night since its the best part. Anyone know how you get sitters for cats and the house without them paying themselves well?
Oh heavens, when I was in college and the military, cons were my life! Then, I went out and got a regular job to pay for going to cons. My job kept me so busy I never had time for cons any more. I look forward to being able to do that when I retire, which is several years off.

I love my job and the people I work with are great. Still, I eagerly look forward to new adventures in retirement and am having great fun planning all the things I want to do. I have a lot of work to do to downsize and renovate my house to sell. Wouldn’t it be great if there was something like the Au Pair program but for odd jobs instead of child care? There is. https://www.helpx.net/ Much of it is centered around farm help but not all of it. I’m sure you could offer a place to stay in exchange for pet care and general house upkeep. I’m very curious about HelpX and would love to hear from people who have tried it.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:40 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,221 times
Please do consider blogging your travel / moving experience. I'll be one of those to read it During my move, I did a blog of my travel adventures.

Unlike you, I left Indiana without a set destination in Arizona! I've been told that I have given others the courage to consider or make their own move.

Only bad thing -- I didn't have internet service for two weeks after I moved here. I had sent a PM to a friend hoping they'd pass the message along. Instead there were some people who worried unnecessarily

Old 02-07-2018, 11:12 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

Only bad thing -- I didn't have internet service for two weeks after I moved here. I had sent a PM to a friend hoping they'd pass the message along. Instead there were some people who worried unnecessarily

I'll be posting here as ever. The local library should be fine for posting until I get my WiFi sorted out. I have used it when visiting and find it perfectly suitable.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Dee was very helpful to me. I chose to come out, visit & see/choose an apartment before I moved & called for internet set up before I moved. I only had to wait a few days before it was installed.

My only headache after I moved was finding the right health care because my Minnesota plan wouldn't work here. I finally connected with our Area Agency on Aging & they were very, very helpful & helped me with choosing a plan. I also didn't realize you had to change driver's license & car plates within 10 days of residence. In Minnesota it was a month.

Everything worked out fine but these were the things I hadn't been prepared for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement