Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,662,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'll be posting here as ever. The local library should be fine for posting until I get my WiFi sorted out. I have used it when visiting and find it perfectly suitable.

Lots of fast food places have wifi too. I went every evening for awhile so my friends (who were worried about me moving "alone" ) wouldn't worry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
Lots of fast food places have wifi too. I went every evening for awhile so my friends (who were worried about me moving "alone" ) wouldn't worry
Um there are no fast food places where BDL is moving to.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:24 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
... whatever shall we do?

Old 02-09-2018, 04:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,038 times
Quote:

You will find out very soon!!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Eat real food. Or drive to Montrose and eat junk hoping your car isn't stolen sitting in the parking lot!

Library has wifi and most of the coffee shops and cafes in town do also.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Eat real food. Or drive to Montrose and eat junk hoping your car isn't stolen sitting in the parking lot!
Library has wifi and most of the coffee shops and cafes in town do also.
I'm picking up my new Subaru today. The 15-year-old Toyota just is not able to make the trip to CO, plus doesn't have AWD. It's been nice, not having a car payment or caring if someone (or me) dings the car or I know no one will bother with it, full of dog hair and recycling and stuff. I've had two cars in 25 years, so I guess it's that time again. (And yes, I'll be buying winter tires in November).

My old car is moving to Nigeria- a former coworker buys cars and ships them there full of his stuff for his retirement there. Not sure how he makes money this way, and am not asking. At least I know there's no inspection there and no one will fuss about rust! My car runs really well but there's rust in the understructure and it's affecting things.

There is an excellent Nepalese/Indian restaurant on 550 near the airport- Himalayan Kitchen. Otherwise, I think you're mostly right about Montrose for dining, if not dancing.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:

I remember going to a Subway there. Is it gone? A good pizza place too....

Old 02-10-2018, 10:00 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
As many others have said, I too enjoy reading your posts BDL and your engaging writing style. Please keep on!

Oh heavens, when I was in college and the military, cons were my life! Then, I went out and got a regular job to pay for going to cons. My job kept me so busy I never had time for cons any more. I look forward to being able to do that when I retire, which is several years off.

I love my job and the people I work with are great. Still, I eagerly look forward to new adventures in retirement and am having great fun planning all the things I want to do. I have a lot of work to do to downsize and renovate my house to sell. Wouldn’t it be great if there was something like the Au Pair program but for odd jobs instead of child care? There is. https://www.helpx.net/ Much of it is centered around farm help but not all of it. I’m sure you could offer a place to stay in exchange for pet care and general house upkeep. I’m very curious about HelpX and would love to hear from people who have tried it.

If you're talking about house-sitting, there is a site we found 3 sitters from:
House Sitters of America.com Two were great (women) but the retired military guy was awful. It's free pet/house care in exchange for a free place to live. Short term or long....

BDL, is "True Grit" café still there?

Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 PM

Subway is closed (lost their franchise). Panny's Pizza has new owners so it's not the same, True Grit is still there.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:59 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
OK, so now I just need to remember I am up to page 8. Noted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement