U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM

746 posts, read 483,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
OK, so now I just need to remember I am up to page 8. Noted!
Hi yellowsnow. If you forget what page you left off on, there is a button at the top when you first select a thread, called "View First Unread". If you click there, it takes you to the first page you haven't viewed in the thread. I use it all the time.
Attached Thumbnails
BDL's Retirement Experience, an ongoing thread-screenshot-2018-02-11-4.25.38-pm.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 04:33 PM

746 posts, read 483,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
BDL - consider downloading music onto a USB drive and playing your music from the USB port in the car. No smartphone or streaming needed. Other option - many new cars come with a free trial period of satellite radio - not sure if the free trial period extends through your planned drive period.
Both good ideas!

Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,450,730 times
SiriusXM radio is a lot of fun. No commercials. Excellent choice of many genres and many specialized by genre channels to choose from.

I have a discounted subscription to SiriusXMradio.com (listen on computer) which also includes listening on a special SiriusXM radio - in my home.

In a car, great option.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 PM

9,759 posts, read 7,038,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
BDL: I have to admit I was pretty surprised to hear your new car came without CD player.

I'm sure you have already done this but is there any way you can go back to the dealer and ask them what they can do for you? It seems there must be a way to install one or maybe even swap cars with one that has it already installed.

I'm not very car savvy and probably have no idea what I am talking about. But thought I'd just run it by you.
I have to admit to being a bit bemused by BDL's looking for a CD player in her new vehicle and not finding one because I can identify! We bought a new car last September (a 2017 Honda Civic) and it seems to me that driving these new cars is like driving a computer and I'm still learning how to run the things inside that new car, like the AC and heat controls, and the various radio and sound system features there. We asked the salesguy if there was a CD player with the radio and he kind of looked at us like we were nuts, and my husband said later that they probably don't put them in new cars, replacing them with connections for mp3 players, and there are Blue Tooth connections for playing music from one's smart phone, that sort of thing. Naturally I haven't figured that out either.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,246,905 times
Travelassie: I'm driving a 2017 Nissan Sentra. First time I have ever leased a car. Thankfully it came with a radio and a CD player.

At the end of three years I can lease another new car for 3 years or I can purchase one.

I am not looking forward to getting another new car if this is what the future holds for cars. I'll be 78 by then and not wishing to learn something brand new to driving the car. Might have to consider buying a used car when that time comes. Wish I could have kept my 2009 Toyota Corolla. I had thought of that car as being my last car. Guess not.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:34 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,743,979 times
Oh dear, if new cars don't have CD's players I'm in trouble too.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:36 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Oh dear, if new cars don't have CD's players I'm in trouble too.
At present, a majority of new cars do, but it's not the wave of the future.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:35 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,073,537 times
My new Buick Encore doesn't have a CD player either. Sirius XM seems to be the new wave although it's been around awhile. There are so many bells and whistles on this car that I'll probably never use or care about but the CD player would have been nice. It's turning out to be quite the learning experience - as Travelassie said, it's like driving a computer - a great description I thought!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:48 PM

4,671 posts, read 3,246,905 times
I'm almost afraid to mention this....... when I leased my 2017 Nissan Sentra I was told I had three months of free Sirius radio. I loved it when I first played it, there are so many options to listen to.

So after three months were over, I still had it. Hmmm. February 12 and I still have it. I'm not complaining, just really surprised. May 1 will be a full year. Can the dealership be paying for this? When I took the car in for oil change I mentioned it to the guy behind the counter. He didn't know anything about it, just said enjoy it.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM

7,623 posts, read 11,469,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm almost afraid to mention this....... when I leased my 2017 Nissan Sentra I was told I had three months of free Sirius radio. I loved it when I first played it, there are so many options to listen to.

So after three months were over, I still had it. Hmmm. February 12 and I still have it. I'm not complaining, just really surprised. May 1 will be a full year. Can the dealership be paying for this? When I took the car in for oil change I mentioned it to the guy behind the counter. He didn't know anything about it, just said enjoy it.
I had my free Sirius trial for 2 1/2 years before it was shut off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement