U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 02:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 44,963,902 times

Advertisements

For anyone considering a radio "upgrade", do check out Crutchfield. They have excellent install kits for any car out there, no cutting of wires, no fuss, no muss.

A few years ago I wanted some better speakers for my old 1982 Scirocco. Called Crutchfield, they had 2 or 3 choices that would fit in the factory location. I picked one, and, just to prove it could be done, used only my Swiss Army knife (screwdrivers) to install. That easy. And, the fact that I was asking about a give-or-take 30 year old car, and one that was not made in great numbers at that, did not faze them in the least.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 02-13-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
For anyone considering a radio "upgrade", do check out Crutchfield. They have excellent install kits for any car out there, no cutting of wires, no fuss, no muss.
I think it might be easier, oddly enough, to replace an older radio or entertainment player of some sort. The new ones are all hooked up to other computerized components, in my case, like the backup camera and other electronic doodads. I remember having upgrades installed in older cars and cannot see how it could be done with this new one or ones like it.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 44,963,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it might be easier, oddly enough, to replace an older radio or entertainment player of some sort. The new ones are all hooked up to other computerized components, in my case, like the backup camera and other electronic doodads. I remember having upgrades installed in older cars and cannot see how it could be done with this new one or ones like it.
Nothing odd about it, the older systems are simpler. Many 80's cars have DIN type wiring plugs, so you can literally "plug and play" a different head unit, while retaining the ability to put the stock radio back in at a future time, with no permanent changes to the car or head unit.

Part of why I only do older cars.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:47 PM

747 posts, read 484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't have that. How do you set it?
You don't have to set it, it just shows up on the top left. (not really a button, I guess more like a link). I don't see it when I have already visited all the pages in a thread though, only if there are some still unread.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 AM

So for $32 and a cable (headphone jack/aux), I have a very small portable CD player that will play through the car speakers. Painless.

Had a very heartening appointment with Social Security yesterday. I say heartening because I expected a tangle of bureaucracy, but no. Very efficient, right on time, answered all my questions, and got me set up for Soc. Sec. and Medicare A&B for April. (I am a year short of FRA, and also am paying COBRA until April 1- $890/month including dental. I expected the COBRA to be more).

Not so the efficiency of my former job's benefits people. The guy who was the "go-to" recommendation is on vacation for two weeks. I decided to call every day, be polite of course, and get an answer as to when my lump sum would arrive and *which month* my first monthly payment would be. It worked, finally. They said they were waiting for a year's total of my 2017 earnings, well, it's Feb. 17 and they certainly could look it up. So my lump sum should be mine "next week" and my monthly payout starts in March (retroactive). We shall see.

I have been sort of dancing on the edge and will have two mortgages until I sell my current house and the house in CO is almost finished and paying usual bills. The estimate for moving is only going up but I do find it important to take stuff with me to fully furnish the new smaller house. I could not downsize enough to go without movers and have some nice stuff that I bought for my current "forever" house that will go on the market May 1. I am willing to pay movers to have stuff with me that I want. On low moments, I can picture waking up with familiar artwork and stuff and dogs around me, and thinking, What have I done?

I have always left my comfort level when I got too comfortable/needing the level. It has not often worked out for the better except for getting rid of a daydream/plan as not being what I wanted. I have had to learn that being comfortable is no crime, but being inert should be addressed. I am hoping my retirement and move to Colorado is in the latter category. I am having no doubts about my retirement, believe me, but am feeling an inertia even though I am moving in some nine weeks. Can't tell if I'm behind or ahead of schedule. I think it's because it's been very grey out most days, I am still recovering from night shifts, and I am not used to having evenings awake and free and that's when a gloom sets in. I do not want to skid back into old bad habits, namely, eating for entertainment.

I realize that having problems with self-actualization are very nice problems to have. I am not complaining. I just don't want to slip backwards because I am in an in-between place in this process. Thank you for listening. See why I didn't want to call this "adventures?" Hey, Social Security and inertia, not exactly the stuff of Indiana Jones!

Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 AM

21,873 posts, read 23,173,269 times
Quote:
I think it's because it's been very grey out most days
The move to Colorado will help in this respect.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The move to Colorado will help in this respect.
The sun is out today and I find myself more motivated to do some things. I even cleaned the stove- just because it's being replaced in eight weeks doesn't mean I should live in squalor. (A couple of hard-boiled eggs exploded the other day- egg yolk on the ceiling- my voracious cattle dog ate the rest, shells and all).

Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The sun is out today and I find myself more motivated to do some things. I even cleaned the stove- just because it's being replaced in eight weeks doe.sn't mean I should live in squalor. (A couple of hard-boiled eggs exploded the other day- egg yolk on the ceiling- my voracious cattle dog ate the rest, shells and all).
It really is amazing how much seeing sunshine affects our mood and motivation. I never thought much about it until we moved here close to 25 years ago. That and decreased humidity. At some point, months after we moved, I was marveling about how much better I felt overall and my husband said it was seeing the sun - especially during the winter. Once I thought about it I realized he was absolutely right. Days and days of cold gloomy weather take their toll. It's easy to fall into inertia and depression. Now that those days are more rare, i enjoy them as great days for curling up with a fire and a good book, knowing that most likely I'll see the sun tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Today in eastern MA it's sunny, 30s, dry. I like weather between 20-60, sunny and dry. I think I will love Colorado in all seasons! Have already ordered prescription wraparound sun glasses with all the bells and whistles for glasses (have read that intense sun increases cataracts) and I absolutely need prescription for everything.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:20 AM

Good sunglasses are a good investment here. Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement