U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 04:01 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,446,805 times

Advertisements

I was not referring to times of natural disasters such as earthquakes. I was referring to the normal course of a day and life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I was not referring to times of natural disasters such as earthquakes. I was referring to the normal course of a day and life.
Oh, I see. I hope someone has a clear answer.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM

14,233 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
[/b]

I hadn't heard of this. Does it happen often? And in other places other than Colorado?
When there are a lot of calls, say a fire or other problem, sometimes you can't get "in". But a text will transmit and propagate towards it's destination "a bit at at time".

I'm not in telecom so can't tell you the technical details.

Also a text can reach out from a weaker signal. Buddy on his sailboat can text sometimes but can't get a voice line because he's too far out.

This is not specific to any geographic area.

Day to day, where we live, yeah, I can normally get a voice signal no problemo. Usually.

Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 PM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times
And where BDL is moving to there are several remote areas with zero cell phone coverage due to the mountains.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 PM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
And where BDL is moving to there are several remote areas with zero cell phone coverage due to the mountains.
True. Our home-to-be is close to such a dead zone. A short walk away and the coverage gets weaker and weaker... Internet options are few and not fast, though still faster than the dialup modem speeds we had in our previous CO home, which was in metro Denver! Terrain matters, and that is a big understatement.

But we get decent FM and satellite radio reception at the place, YAY.

Frankly, I expect to be “electronically connected” far less than has been the case in recent years. And that is fine.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM

31,630 posts, read 19,955,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Apparently it is a result of the nature of the texts v. voice calls, doesn't matter where, the nature factor is the same. I have a friend in Honolulu who was trying to call her kids in California after a Hawaiian earthquake. She couldn't call them but she was able to text them. I think it's that text use much less... bandwidth? or whatever the medium is.

I will defer to the many many posters who know the right terms, but I believe it is anywhere and everywhere.
Yep, during the Hawaiian earthquake I had 3 cell phones from 3 cell phone carriers and none worked, texting did and land lines.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,462,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
... I am very happy with the Subaru Crosstrek as my retiring-to-Colorado car.
I'm confused. I thought that if one moves to Colorado, and doesn't have one, they issue a Subaru to you. You got a good automobile for Colorado. I was just about ready to put my money down on a Crosstrek hybrid, that is until I noticed that they don't have a spare tire. Not even one of those emergency donuts. It only came with an "inflation kit". A whole lotta good that will do you if the sidewall fails. I opted for a Toyota AWD RAV4 instead. Does great on the snow and ice, as will your Subaru.

I've heard that when one looks at the internet page about Colorado where they show the state bird, state tree, state animal . . . they list the state car being a Subaru. There sure a lot of them up here in North Idaho.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-23-2018, 12:26 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,241,188 times
^^^^^^^ Last night on the news, all 2018 models of Toyota vehicles got 100% rating.

I drove a Corolla till I had to give it up (bankrupt). Now leasing 2017 Nissan (sounds bizarre, doesn't it??). I call it my prize for going bankrupt. I will never understand how this works.

Anyway, I like my Sentra, but think in 3 years when lease is up I'd like to lease another Corolla.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:34 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Eat a stuffed quahog for me before you leave. This one of the few things I miss since I no longer live in MA. I used to live in Plainville, a small town sort of between Wrentham and Attleboro. We had a small diner that served these every Friday night! Wonder if Donnie's Diner is still there? I will have to look it up!

Old 02-23-2018, 01:41 PM

481 posts, read 323,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I've heard that when one looks at the internet page about Colorado where they show the state bird, state tree, state animal . . . they list the state car being a Subaru.
That's my line, LOL!!! I've been saying that for years.

I have a Subaru Forester and love it. It's my 2nd Subie; my first was a 1999 Outback which had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it and got the Forester last year. I didn't like the Crosstrek. I thought it was just a tad too small, too expensive, and too many bells and whistles that I didn't really want. And the mileage was not much better than the Forester. All that being said, they are a really nice looking car!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement