U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 03:11 PM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times

Advertisements

I'll continue to post wherever on other threads, just won't have "my own" and will start a new thread when I have something to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:03 AM

1,939 posts, read 350,338 times
BDL - not sure if you're still willing to respond to posts on this thread but what the heck:

I've really enjoyed reading your thoughts as you've traveled the road to retirement. I'm about 15 months away and am trying my damnedest not to turn it into a "grit my teeth and hold on" experience. I have a rewarding job, decent pay, only intermittently stressful, and consider myself very lucky and grateful to have it.

However .... I am SO looking forward to retirement. Have been working since I was 16 and have rarely had the luxury of an expanse of unscheduled time that I can take solely for myself. I have so many things I want to do - most of them just small pleasures but hard to find the time for as someone who works 50 hours a week.

Do you (and anyone else too!) have words of wisdom for how to think about this last year (and change) of working that will help me with my impatience to retire? (Maybe I need to stop thinking of it as FREEDOM, for one thing?)

Thanks very much for all responses!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:08 AM

16,370 posts, read 10,358,028 times
I don't know as there's anything as freedom, for adults anyway. Maybe release would be a better word?

The last year is the longest. Maybe give yourself a 'present' every month. Nothing major: maybe go to a florist and buy yourself a flower the 1st month. 2 flowers the 2nd month, etc. By the time you have a dozen flowers, you're retired!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 AM

1,939 posts, read 350,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I don't know as there's anything as freedom, for adults anyway. Maybe release would be a better word?

The last year is the longest. Maybe give yourself a 'present' every month. Nothing major: maybe go to a florist and buy yourself a flower the 1st month. 2 flowers the 2nd month, etc. By the time you have a dozen flowers, you're retired!
Love this idea, PAhippo, thank you!!!!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
BDL
Do you (and anyone else too!) have words of wisdom for how to think about this last year (and change) of working that will help me with my impatience to retire? (Maybe I need to stop thinking of it as FREEDOM, for one thing?)

Thanks very much for all responses!
Words of wisdom, I don't know. I know I started a countdown of weeks, and of days. Some nights I added up how much money I earned each hour, being an hourly employee.

Some nights I had to take deep breaths as if in pain and try to get through each moment. Now, remember, I did work overnight, and had many times where I simply did not want to be there because I felt so lousy being awake all night, not because I was looking at retirement. So I think whatever you want freedom FROM makes a difference. You said you want freedom to do many things, and that is better than freedom "from."

Consider any aspect of the job that works for you. I found that, despite my desire to be elsewhere, I was more able to note how good it felt to be good at what I did. Now, I don't miss this, but it was like permission to be proud of the job I was doing. I was able to look at the conversations at work and the international nature of my coworkers and really appreciate that, feeling and knowing that I would miss them, so savoring that, instead of just killing time as the night wore by.

I think, however you take care of yourself while at work, that you really pay attention to that and appreciate it. Again, the nature and time of my job was so stressful that it might not relate to a "normal" job.

Thank you for asking. I have no problem responding to this thread! Just that my current life is like anyone who is planning a big move along with retirement, a lot of phone calls and paperwork and packing and dull details like that. But at least I'm not awake all night.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:47 AM

so be honest, BDL. How's it feel to sleep at night?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
so be honest, BDL. How's it feel to sleep at night?

To be honest, I'm not sleeping all that well but do seem to wake up naturally at 9a, so it must be OK (the dogs wake me at 7a to eat).

I am on an aggressive repair/body work schedule. I honestly fear I've broken something in my metabolism with these years of nights. Chiropractic/deep massage every week, and now several supplements the chiro suggests. None of it cheap but I am not feeling particularly energetic and I'm moving in 6 weeks, so...

Ha. I went to the chiro yesterday and "Born to Be Wild" was playing on the radio. While I just received my Medicare card for April. Cognitive dissonance, party of one?

I don't miss work at all. I had to go up there the other day to pick up a former coworker who was buying my old car. After thousands of times of driving up that hill, it felt like someone else's property and life. I watched the night shift people stumbling out of the building, older ones a bit bent over, and the new young ones ambling in late for days as ever, noses glued to phones, and I know they are lousy conversationalists. I didn't miss anything. No one recognized me in my shiny new Subaru. Not my place anymore.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 PM

you might try some deep breathing. It calms and invigorates.

6 wks to undo 20 yrs ( or more? I don't remember what you said) is a bit much. It'll happen. maybe not in 6 weeks but it'll happen.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM

It was 27 years of full time nights in a job that was inherently stressful. I don't expect to feel half my age or anything but it just shouldn't be so hard to do average things. I know it's not depression, it's so physical and inert. Frankly, my thoughts are just fine and I know how depression thoughts go for me.

Undone or not, I'm moving to Colorado on April 18. I'd like some vigor to do so!

Old 03-06-2018, 04:37 PM

well, if admiration is invigorating, know that you have mine!

Takes a whole lot of gumption to do what you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement