U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM

1,934 posts, read 347,613 times

Advertisements

BDL,

I'm smiling reading all of these posts, because it is clear that this C-D crew loves you and is behind you all the way. I have a suspicion that your caravan will do great - and how can you miss with dogs onboard?

I hope that you'll keep us all updated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM

13,317 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
These are just above the area where BDL is moving, from the trail west of her. These were at an altitude somewhere between 12,000 and 13,000 feet.

(By the way, one of the jeep drivers discovered carburetors don't work there!)

It's a LOT above the area! My new town is 7,000 feet!

Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
BDL,

I'm smiling reading all of these posts, because it is clear that this C-D crew loves you and is behind you all the way. I have a suspicion that your caravan will do great - and how can you miss with dogs onboard?

I hope that you'll keep us all updated!
Thank you so much for the support. I just got it from some very annoying details and am feeling quite chewed up with the logistics of the move (now weeks away) and your note is most welcome.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:44 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Wow, thank you for posting these pictures. Beautiful country!

Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Where BDL is moving to -

Old 03-12-2018, 07:28 PM

4,661 posts, read 3,239,300 times
^^^^^^^^^^ Beautiful pictures.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:32 PM

79 posts, read 53,704 times
I love Ridgway, though I havenít been there in years. Itís such a beautiful area to retire to. Youíve made a great choice! I enjoy reading your posts and sharing in the excitement of relocating there - it's gotten me dreaming of my plans to move to the region.

Iíve toyed with the idea of moving to the western slope for years (Iím on the front range), but the jobs were never there, although Iíve done quite a bit of intermittent work at sites around Glenwood Springs and Parachute. But itís been about 8 years since Iíve done any work there, and a lot has changed.

I've looked at towns around the Uncompahgre Plateau (or maybe Grand Mesa NF) for my retirement in 3 years, and have been perusing realty websites. Iím kind of shocked at how expensive itís gotten, and there are so many new, huge homes! Where did they all come from? Seems to be spreading out from Telluride and swallowing up the entire region. Even if I could afford it, I donít plan on spending my retirement maintaining a huge house!

I donít think the sale price of my tiny condo will cover the cost of a small home in much of the western slope anymore, although parts of Montrose seem pretty affordable. Grand Junction is affordable, but gets too hot in the summer. The west is big Ė Iíll keep looking.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMischief View Post
...there are so many new, huge homes! Where did they all come from? Seems to be spreading out from Telluride and swallowing up the entire region. Even if I could afford it, I donít plan on spending my retirement maintaining a huge house!

I donít think the sale price of my tiny condo will cover the cost of a small home in much of the western slope anymore, although parts of Montrose seem pretty affordable. ...
Montrose is relatively affordable. But up around Ridgway, there are few small houses, and that's what I want, so I'm building. The bank was pretty surprised at the size.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:22 PM

3,893 posts, read 4,046,220 times
For folks that like small towns, Meeker has a mean (& fairly recent) housing price of $175k according to one data site.

It apparently has some millionaires, at least one billionaire and a famous comic. During summer. Maybe parts of other seasons.

Big to do sheepdog trials in early September.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-13-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-14-2018, 09:01 AM

746 posts, read 481,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Montrose is relatively affordable. But up around Ridgway, there are few small houses, and that's what I want, so I'm building. The bank was pretty surprised at the size.
That is cool you can build small! Many areas have minimum house size, which I think is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement