U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:28 AM

3,994 posts, read 3,217,430 times

Advertisements

You're replacement already quit???

Did they call you to come back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 06:22 AM

295 posts, read 149,075 times
Post ...if someone suggested it, do it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are my posts too long/dull? Anyway, how does one start a blog, and why?
Start a blog. It is the right thing to do in this case.
A word to the wise. Not everyone [in real life] wants to hear that you and I are retired. Yours and my joy is not everyone's good news. Especially those our age working two jobs. Whether true or not, a number of working people see this as bragging. Gauge your audience. I have been retired a month now and I picked up on this quickly.
Now if someone is asking...that is another thing.
Start a blog.
Enjoy your retirement.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:29 AM

295 posts, read 149,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
The thing I love most about retirement one month and one week in, is the feeling of being truly rested. I am not tired anymore.
Same thing for me, Mschrief (tried to rep you). For the first time in many years I am really sleeping. Retirement is truly wonderful. For those of you knocking on Heaven's door, you are going to love it.
Hey, look at what it is doing for Brightdoglover if you do not believe me.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:41 AM

2,752 posts, read 991,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
Same thing for me, Mschrief (tried to rep you). For the first time in many years I am really sleeping. Retirement is truly wonderful. For those of you knocking on Heaven's door, you are going to love it.
Hey, look at what it is doing for Brightdoglover if you do not believe me.
Almost there. Love reading from people who are experiencing.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:22 AM

1,246 posts, read 587,882 times
For those of us combining moves with retiring, getting settled in the new locale is when the retirement can really begin. So much effort is going into prepping the current house to sell. I feel fortunate that the metro Atlanta market is red hot right now and I hope for a quick sale when I put my house up in April. I already have my house in Tennessee, but it is somewhat like camping out, sleeping on a daybed and mattress-in-a-box I bought at Wal-Mart, because I have not moved my furniture up there yet. I keep thinking, 6 months (hopefully sooner) from now I will have all of this behind me and can truly relax.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:54 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,534,865 times
Quote:
Today I slept so long that I decided not to get dressed, ordered a pizza delivered, ate two pieces and had a carb crash and went back to bed. PBS tonight, still a novelty for an evening awake.

The dogs are retired, two are 13 now. They sleep most of the time, with or without me.
Love this....what you want when you want. I still have a few years to go. Work second shift, and will aslo need to adjust a little, but not as bad as a third shift. My problem is that I work on about 5 hours sleep, and it's not a steady sleep....any noise wakes me up. Keep the updates coming, I enjoy hearing from those who are making the transition, who knows, I may learn something.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:28 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,554,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Congratulations on your retirement! But I have a question regarding the tattoo you got in New Hampshire (I think that is what NH meant). Are tattoo parlors illegal in MA, or are there better tattoo artists in NH? This is a serious question, I would really like to know!
Tattoos are now legal in MA (they weren't when I got my first one) but I had a referral for a particular artist from the music fan group I'm in, to get a line drawing of that particular singer for my tattoo. I am near the NH/MA line and the referral I was supposed to get for MA tanked. Apparently doing faces well is not a universal skill. I didn't want a photographic-like face, I wanted a line drawing, was very happy with what I got. I did see another customer who had a photograph of his dog done on his shoulder, and it was also very good.

I also liked that the place in NH was women. When I got my first tattoo, it was at a biker/sailor place on the NH coast, and the tattooist offered me a free tat in exchange for... I said, "I carry cash" but the offer was a little uncomfortable. PM me if you'd like the name of the place I went. It's in Newmarket, not far from Exeter and a very easy drive. I'm guessing that we shouldn't post recommendations/sales pitch on the group.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
You're replacement already quit???

Did they call you to come back?
My former supervisor (now friend) asked me if I could work on call. First of all, I can't by the rules- I took my pension out before age 65, and you can't collect and work. She did say "Only half kidding" and while I am quite the money grubber, this feeling of really sleeping and not having a veil between me and living, well, I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:37 AM

8,191 posts, read 11,908,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I suggest starting a blog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think the blog is a good idea. They have them here!
Quote:
Are my posts too long/dull? Anyway, how does one start a blog, and why?
I agree with brava and yellowsnow, and to answer your question as to why, the answer is twofold. First would be because that is exactly what you're doing. You've been blogging about your transition to retirement and now blogging about how you're experiencing retirement. The second reason to create a blog rather than multiple threads is so that all your fans can find and read your musings all in one place rather than searching through multiple threads to read your story. It would be easier for you and easier for them if everything was in one convenient location.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
BDL, I enjoyed reading about your transition to retirement. I retired from work at the end of October, but didn't have any time for rest or reflection because I quickly moved out of my expensive apartment in Orange County CA and put my stuff in a storage unit.

Good luck with the new house in Colorado - you will probably be busy preparing for and making the big move. Hope you can line up some good helpers on each end of the move.

Best wishes in Tucson! Do you have plans for meeting people/feeling part of the community somewhere, or is that my issue with moving?

I have hired very reputable movers and am paying for them to pack and unpack. I just can't deal with it. I have to move from house to house (not rental) because of the dogs, and I will not live without multiple dogs in my house. My realtor is taking care of all the updating, etc. of my current house and just wants me and the dogs OUT so she can sell my house in this hot hot market (planning on a bidding war). My house is a custom contemporary, small (1250 sq.ft) in a very private treed spot a 10-minute walk to IBM. Seventeen years old. She expects a lot of interest. The new houses in the area are the boring "colonial" big boxes and she says younger buyers cannot afford nor want those houses. There is very little inventory. I am grateful she is handling the painting, etc. that can only be done when I'm out of the house.

Strictly financially speaking, it would have made great sense for me to work full-time through the end of June and leave then. However, I want to get to Colorado and get settled before the summer season skips by, as that's when the most is happening, I can best meet people, and so on. I also knew I'd need a few months to sleep, following my experiences of time off from night shifts. Otherwise, my job would have me through June. As it is, there is literally no one to fill in for nights any night of the week. People will be forced to cover. People will quit. No one wins. I feel no obligation to my job- have done my dues!-but realize what a mainstay I've been over the years, just for showing up if nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement